Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tenth Anniversary of DL/NW merger

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL - PM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Aside from problems related to labor issues, my memory is that performance in terms of flights being on time and not being cancelled was among the best in the industry. The a/c were not fancy, the food just OK, the lounges rather simple, but operationally I remember NW being a leader. Am I wrong about that?
It's been a long time, but if my memory is correct, Northwest was among the best in on-time performance, but that wasn't saying much as the overall US airline industry was pretty bad in that metric in the mid-2000's.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, MM, AS MVP, Lifetime Skyclub, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, National Exec Elite, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ab2013
Things that I miss:
Those red tails were endearing, and seeing the 747 behind the water fountain around Gate A40 in the McNamara Terminal at DTW
DTW was busier before the merger - SaaBs @ the B/C gates
Seemed like a novelty for a US airline to have a hub overseas (thinking of NRT, which is pretty much on its deathbed these days)
Vaguely remember NWA serving these tasty pretzel twists before they got cut in 2005
NW's DC9s - those were pretty much built like tanks
Didn't personally redeem WorldPerks but I keep hearing about how awesome it is compared to SkyPesos

Not exactly a victim of the merger but... CINNABON in old Davey terminal before McNamara opened (before 2001?)

Things I don't miss:
NWA was an operational mess and stingy as hell. I think DL, WN, CO, and AS all served snacks if not meals in coach despite the recession and 9/11.
Stale aircraft interiors - the cloth seats on the older planes did not smell good
Surly customer service at NWA - still lingers in the senior exNW FAs, though I don't experience it much here in SEA (very junior base)
DL's website - still sucks in 2018

Man, time flies.
Ah yes.... Spinzels. They were so tasty!
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
If DL actually cares about its NW legacy, it should paint an exNW plane in the bowling shoe livery and serve Spinzels instead of those gluten free pretzels.
DL really doesn't seem to do the heritage thing like AA and UA have done. NW, just like everything else that DL has merged with/bought is gone and that's that. Oh, those gluten free pretzels are terrible.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
My introduction to NWA was a USAir mechanical rebooking circa 2003. The Avro, DC-9, and DTW greatly impressed me over PIT and the turboprops I was accustomed.

I later moved to MSP and found that Northwest had not only had the schedule but was also the price leader for most trips and explored MKE quite a bit during the fare war with Airtran. I did not care for Delta from prior experience so avoided post merger where reasonable alternative existed up until last year. I have since warmed to Delta. Most missed are the Saabs (yes, really), the aggressive fare wars, and connecting through Detroit to find 3 or 4 frames at consecutive gates all bound for MSP.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: DL Gold
While I am glad to see the success that DL possesses 10 years after the merger, it is still sad to witness the demise of the NRT hub. The lounge is still one of the best in the system!
jiburi and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
I'm CVG based, so I am sad about the DL cutbacks here. That said, I was Platinum on both NW and DL for three years prior to the merger because DL had no "level" beyond Platinum. DL has always had a superior domestic product versus NW. Leather, service, In flight entertainment, comfort. I often struggled with NW on trans cons in FC because the seats were so thin and often very worn. That said, I was ridding up front. I rode in back as NW platinum very few times, and got mileage bonuses because the upgrade didn't happen. FA's would often bring me free drinks and recognize the status. I enjoyed traveling on the NW partner Continental as they had reciprocal benefits, and a MUCH better product.

NW gate agents and flight attendants were "OK", but often horrible. I can remember multiple trips to the west coast with 3+ hours trips to have only two passes through the FC cabin. Hitting the call button did nothing. Never had that with DL.

So, 10 years in, is it "better"? Yes and no. Flights are almost always completely full now, great for DL, terrible for the traveler. Upgrades are non-existent. FC service is good if upgraded, poor if having to pay for it. Entertainment systems are showing more and more old re-runs and fewer "new" releases. In flight wifi is horrific and expensive. Food has stayed about the same (IMHO). Aircraft are more and more "tight" as they have squeezed every inch of space for more passengers.

"Sky Clubs" continue to evolve, but why is it that a major hub in Minneapolis has only TWO clubs? Given it's size, it needs two more, yet there are no plans to address this in MSP. Guess DL is just waiting out the contract with city that NW signed and will downsize MSP once they can move beyond that contract.

I am loyal to Delta because it gets me where I need to go in a modicum of comfort, but the future is still un-written with the bean counters in Atlanta and I expect more changes to come that will make our travel less and less pleasant
jiburi and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Endless upgrades on NW had a lot more to do with the economics of the air travel industry at the time than with NW's particular upgrade policy. They had an F product that was not really worth paying for, and they also charged insane fares to book it, mostly relying on a very small group of corporate executives with F travel in their contracts to make some money off of the product. It was easily at least $2K for a mid-con sub 3 hour trip in F. Today those same flights on DL are usually under $1K when purchased at least a few weeks in advance. So I totally get why some are nostalgic for lots of free upgrades, but I think for most pax the current set up of having fares that are actually somewhat reasonable and within reach of many more people is more customer friendly.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DL Platinum
I'm CVG based, so I am sad about the DL cutbacks here. That said, I was Platinum on both NW and DL for three years prior to the merger because DL had no "level" beyond Platinum. DL has always had a superior domestic product versus NW. Leather, service, In flight entertainment, comfort. I often struggled with NW on trans cons in FC because the seats were so thin and often very worn. That said, I was ridding up front. I rode in back as NW platinum very few times, and got mileage bonuses because the upgrade didn't happen. FA's would often bring me free drinks and recognize the status. I enjoyed traveling on the NW partner Continental as they had reciprocal benefits, and a MUCH better product.

NW gate agents and flight attendants were "OK", but often horrible. I can remember multiple trips to the west coast with 3+ hours trips to have only two passes through the FC cabin. Hitting the call button did nothing. Never had that with DL.

So, 10 years in, is it "better"? Yes and no. Flights are almost always completely full now, great for DL, terrible for the traveler. Upgrades are non-existent. FC service is good if upgraded, poor if having to pay for it. Entertainment systems are showing more and more old re-runs and fewer "new" releases. In flight wifi is horrific and expensive. Food has stayed about the same (IMHO). Aircraft are more and more "tight" as they have squeezed every inch of space for more passengers.

"Sky Clubs" continue to evolve, but why is it that a major hub in Minneapolis has only TWO clubs? Given it's size, it needs two more, yet there are no plans to address this in MSP. Guess DL is just waiting out the contract with city that NW signed and will downsize MSP once they can move beyond that contract.

I am loyal to Delta because it gets me where I need to go in a modicum of comfort, but the future is still un-written with the bean counters in Atlanta and I expect more changes to come that will make our travel less and less pleasant
DL wouldn't be adding Asia flights ex-MSP if they were going to downsize it. (HND, ICN, PVG) It works great for a Midwest hub. The SC suck. However i think there is plans to expand the main club, including adding a Skydeck.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:12 pm

NW Tech

I remain awed by Northwest's technology from a decade ago in comparison to Deltamatic. AOP was such a better system. To this day I often have to wait for a DL agent to get on the phone to get a change done at the airport. With NW and AOP it was 3 clicks mostly. It's even worse at contracted airports, like GEG, where a majority of staff has no clue how to work Deltamatic beyond check-in. And NW front line workers miss AOP too...just ask them.

And nwa.com was still more functional in 2008 than Delta.com is today.

Of course the original plan was to scrap Delta's customer facing technology for AOP and Pars but once Richard saw the price, Deltamatic lived.
FlyingNone and jiburi like this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:34 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by flyerCO
DL wouldn't be adding Asia flights ex-MSP if they were going to downsize it. (HND, ICN, PVG) It works great for a Midwest hub. The SC suck. However i think there is plans to expand the main club, including adding a Skydeck.
DL really needs to enhance the DTW/MSP SCs. The DTW SC looks the same as it did when NW opened it. I'm sure the budget for the SCs in the fortress hubs gets sacrificed for the SCs in the competitive markets, like JFK and SEA.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by 2old4coach
SkyPesos!
AB2013 Love it.
May I use that term, SkyPesos?
Cheers,
2old4coach
Sure thing! It's not trademarked by ab2013
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by n7371f
I remain awed by Northwest's technology from a decade ago in comparison to Deltamatic. AOP was such a better system. To this day I often have to wait for a DL agent to get on the phone to get a change done at the airport. With NW and AOP it was 3 clicks mostly. It's even worse at contracted airports, like GEG, where a majority of staff has no clue how to work Deltamatic beyond check-in. And NW front line workers miss AOP too...just ask them.

And nwa.com was still more functional in 2008 than Delta.com is today.

Of course the original plan was to scrap Delta's customer facing technology for AOP and Pars but once Richard saw the price, Deltamatic lived.
-----
Sounds so familiar.......United's Fastair took seconds to get things done and solved versus CO's Shares taking hours and still no resolution.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
DL really needs to enhance the DTW/MSP SCs. The DTW SC looks the same as it did when NW opened it. I'm sure the budget for the SCs in the fortress hubs gets sacrificed for the SCs in the competitive markets, like JFK and SEA.
I'm not sure the DTW clubs really have needed updating. Yes they're still the old NW style. However they still look good and function. MSP the main club is really old. It's not even the last version of how NW did their clubs. It's always been the red-headed step child, even when it was strictly NW. The middle C club is decent, but small and far away from all except regional flights. I think getting rid of the third club at MSP was a mistake. (It was right at the junction of C and D by where tram stops)
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:09 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
The DL and NW merger was the best airline merger in the USA. It is a win-win for the stock holders. I have made a lot of money on DL stock. Keep up the good work DL!
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
HND is not an "added" flight for MSP, it's a replacement for the NRT flight, which was twice (not once) daily for most of the year under PMNW, with both being 747s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.