FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Does Delta OPUP Medallions on an E fare? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1937578-does-delta-opup-medallions-e-fare.html)

btonkid12345 Oct 26, 18 6:36 pm

Does Delta OPUP Medallions on an E fare?

Hi all -

Waa looking at an upcoming trip and an interesting question came up.

If an international flight were oversold, and a DM was sitting in main cabin on an E fare, would that DM be skipped over for not being on a V or higher, on favor of other Medallions on V or higher fares?

Curious if an E fare disqualifies a Medallion from an opup they way special meals do...thank you

sydneyracquelle Oct 26, 18 6:39 pm

This exact situation happened to me last weekend. I was flying from ATL>MCO on a BE ticket. I am a former DM who is now a PM. At exactly T-24 I checked in online and got a great upfront main cabin window seat. When I went to board I was shocked to see that I had been upgraded to a C+ window.

btonkid12345 Oct 26, 18 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle (Post 30360588)
This exact situation happened to me last weekend. I was flying from ATL>MCO on a BE ticket. I am a former DM who is now a PM. At exactly T-24 I checked in online and got a great upfront main cabin window seat. When I went to board I was shocked to see that I had been upgraded to a C+ window.

Thanks. I had heard about Medallions getting a C+ seat domestically off the standby list as a result of being on an E fare -

but was more wondering if international opups to D1 are automatically inhibited on an E fare - if one is leaving from an outstation they usually use some automatically generated list or order...

MSPeconomist Oct 26, 18 8:30 pm

My impression is that there is such a list, but without any published priority rules that we can see. OPUPs are for the convenience of the airline (and the GA), so they can do anything. It's not an elite benefit for any fare class.

HWGeeks Oct 26, 18 9:29 pm

My question is, were you on the upgrade list? Or is DL asking their GAS to keep nonstatus out of C+ and if there is an empty C+ seat they give it to an elite instead of a nonstatus BE person

sydneyracquelle Oct 27, 18 7:02 am

I was not on any upgrade list.

mridley2 Oct 28, 18 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30360815)
My impression is that there is such a list, but without any published priority rules that we can see. OPUPs are for the convenience of the airline (and the GA), so they can do anything. It's not an elite benefit for any fare class.

Exactly! The general consensus is OPUP's are prioritized by status and then fare class or flight situation (e.g. flying solo or with a group/family). So as a PM on BE fare you would fall behind all DM's and any other PM's on a higher fare. Since E is the lowest fare you would likely be down on the list. But you never know..
I was once OPUP'd on ICN-DTW as a PM booked on a V fare. So it is possible.

But to answer your question. Since there are no published rules for OPUP's we can only speculate. It seems reasonable you would eligible for OPUP on a BE fare.

P.S. why would you risk a crappy middle seat on a TATL or TPAC flight? I can't imagine taking that risk to save $50 or $100 but I guess everyone has their own priorities for $$.

ethernal Oct 29, 18 8:42 am

Originally Posted by mridley2 (Post 30367099)
Exactly! The general consensus is OPUP's are prioritized by status and then fare class or flight situation (e.g. flying solo or with a group/family). So as a PM on BE fare you would fall behind all DM's and any other PM's on a higher fare. Since E is the lowest fare you would likely be down on the list. But you never know..
I was once OPUP'd on ICN-DTW as a PM booked on a V fare. So it is possible.

But to answer your question. Since there are no published rules for OPUP's we can only speculate. It seems reasonable you would eligible for OPUP on a BE fare.

P.S. why would you risk a crappy middle seat on a TATL or TPAC flight? I can't imagine taking that risk to save $50 or $100 but I guess everyone has their own priorities for $$.

Delta is pretty good about putting medallions in aisles/windows upon check-in into one of the blocked rows. For example, on the flight I'm on right now, Diamonds occupy 36A,C,D,F and 37D,F (it's a 739) because they're given priority to the blocked rows.

The price differential is no longer $50 or $100 round trip - it's more like that each way. I've seen differentials high as $240 ($120 each way) on some routes. That is more than enough to make one pause to consider value - especially when C+ is already sold out (as it often is months in advance on a lot of international routes).

ncwillett Oct 30, 18 5:46 am

Originally Posted by btonkid12345 (Post 30360809)
but was more wondering if international opups to D1 are automatically inhibited on an E fare

Originally Posted by mridley2 (Post 30367099)
It seems reasonable you would eligible for OPUP on a BE fare.

While you might be eligible, it's unlikely. IMHO, the fair thing to do in an oversold situation would be to move a DM to C+ and perhaps let you (if there were no higher status pax in E) move to that DM's window/aisle seat if that's what they had vacated. If you happened to be the highest status pax in coach (unlikely) then the fair thing would be to move you to a DM's seat in C+ and move the DM from C+ to D1.

btonkid12345 Oct 30, 18 7:58 am

Originally Posted by ethernal (Post 30368279)
The price differential is no longer $50 or $100 round trip - it's more like that each way. I've seen differentials high as $240 ($120 each way) on some routes. That is more than enough to make one pause to consider value - especially when C+ is already sold out (as it often is months in advance on a lot of international routes).

This is exactly the case. The buy up is $120 each way and is that really worth it on BOS-AMS, when I'm a DM and C+ is already full?

It just angers me that the new BE prices are the main cabin prices of 18+ months ago. The black friday 2016 europe sale's prices for main are today's sale prices for basic. Also no OY space so what am I paying $120 for each way?

Originally Posted by ncwillett (Post 30372086)
While you might be eligible, it's unlikely. IMHO, the fair thing to do in an oversold situation would be to move a DM to C+ and perhaps let you (if there were no higher status pax in E) move to that DM's window/aisle seat if that's what they had vacated. If you happened to be the highest status pax in coach (unlikely) then the fair thing would be to move you to a DM's seat in C+ and move the DM from C+ to D1.

I didn't ask for the fair thing; have you ever been OP-UPed?

Gate agents wouldn't have time for the "fair" process you advocate.

Also, I am DM too, so not sure how that makes sense in your process...

jdrtravel Oct 30, 18 9:18 am

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle (Post 30361832)
I was not on any upgrade list.

You were not on any public and visible list. You were probably on a list though.

Weekend Away Oct 30, 18 9:47 am

I can't speak directly to the questions for international, but I have some anecdotal evidence that op-up situations are medallion status and then traveling alone. I guess if they have two solo traveling diamonds to pick from the GA might go to fare class, but I'd imagine they'd just pick one if time was of the essence.

Two years ago I bought an economy ticket ATL-MAD, paid cash to upgrade to comfort+. During check-in my seat assignment went missing. Was told by the check-in agent I'd get it back by the GA as the flight was under airport control by that point, check-in took an hour (problems with my codeshare connection pay MAD). I made it to the gate, they're well into boarding, I stopped by the lounge first, and I get my seat assignment, in the last row. I flag a red coat, explain the situation, and she starts teaching the other GA's how to solve the problem. Still my best experience with a red coat. She said, to the other GA's, there's an open seat in D1, look for a diamond in C+. There were several, but they were traveling with a companion. Figured that it wasn't a simple process, as she had to type a lot to figure that out. Maybe go into each reservation to see that? Maybe because they had already boarded? She eventually found a solo PM and took me, as the last person to board, and gave him the op-up and me his seat. At no point did she ever mention fare class for any of the people she looked at.

Just a single data point, but I would imagine yes, it's possible of something weird happens and they need to free up a seat in a hurry.