Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Still Welcome! 2018-2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Still Welcome! 2018-2021

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by mattp1987
I think the purpose of the grounding is to allow the more technical and calmer heads to prevail. This isn't exactly burying the company; they still have hundreds or thousands of other aircraft including 737s flying. They'll take a stock hit, but I imagine it will bounce back.

To me, this is two losses within a six month period under somewhat similar circumstances allegedly related to the stall avoidance system. I think it's worth a pause to seek out the root cause. Some travelers will be adversely affected, but I assume most of those on canceled flights will reach their destinations by tomorrow at the latest. The airlines have probably been working contingency plans for how to adjust their route networks if the a/c were grounded since the incident occurred five days ago.
This. Earlier today, or sometime yesterday, WN announced that they would allow any passengers who did not want to fly on those the MAX 8s to rebook at no increase in fare, even if they normally would see a fare increase. Their statement also indicates that their fleet of 34 MAX 8s totals less than 5% of the total WN fleet.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Howste
Please remember that without Early Intervention (EI), Boeing would just be Bong.
That's just bad.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by TheHorta
I admit to not following this MAX issue closely, but it seems like the universe is reacting disproportionately to what appears to be a more coincidental than systemic problem. How many MAX flights have occurred WITHOUT a problem? Tens of thousands? Hundreds of thousands?

I certainly understand and deeply sympathize with the tragedies -- and I can't imagine a single FF'er who wouldn't identify with the slight, but ever-present possibility of such a thing -- but let's allow the more technical and calmer heads prevail here, rather than bury a company whom the world relies upon to get from Point-A to Point-B.
That's kind of like saying you've never been in a car accident so you don't wear a seat belt.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by TheHorta
I admit to not following this MAX issue closely, but it seems like the universe is reacting disproportionately to what appears to be a more coincidental than systemic problem. How many MAX flights have occurred WITHOUT a problem? Tens of thousands? Hundreds of thousands?

I certainly understand and deeply sympathize with the tragedies -- and I can't imagine a single FF'er who wouldn't identify with the slight, but ever-present possibility of such a thing -- but let's allow the more technical and calmer heads prevail here, rather than bury a company whom the world relies upon to get from Point-A to Point-B.
I don’t think the grounding is over-reacting. The decision to ground an entire fleet type like this is not something taken or done lightly by aviation governing bodies. The reality is we’ve had two brand new jets on a recently tested and certified aircraft type crash within 6 months of each other under circumstances what appear to be very similar to one another. That to me, as someone with flight test engineering experience and aircraft incident investigation experience, is enough of a reason to warrant caution until the technical heads figure out what’s going on.
AeRoSpaceman and TheHorta like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:02 pm

I don't know that tomorrow will be Happy Thorsday for me. Sgt. Schultz has surgery tomorrow to remove a few bumps and lumps.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
MAEN!

I think that Sgt. Shultz would still want us to have...

I think he might also want to chew on the handle of his hammer.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Happy Thorsday and more importantly Pi Day to all! Wishing Sgt. Schultz the best!
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Howste
MAEN!

I think that Sgt. Shultz would still want us to have...

I think he might also want to chew on the handle of his hammer.
Yummy! Not the chewing on the handle of the hammer though...
Originally Posted by mattp1987
Happy Thorsday and more importantly Pi Day to all! Wishing Sgt. Schultz the best!

Sgt. Schultz's surgery went well, and I'm picking him up at the vet's office at 2 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Our local NBC affiliate was announcing repeatedly during their morning news coverage that ALL Boeing 737s were grounded.

MSP apparently had one MAX 8 flight per day on WN, 71 total to date this year. I don't know what the timing or destination were--I never go to T2, although once I had to park over there, IIRC around spring break time and fortunately I did not miss my flight. (T1 parking was full and my car was therefore diverted.) In fact, I've never even been in the new terminal building over there, although once upon a time PMNW international arrivals used a hanger like structure for immigration and customs, with connecting passengers being forced to take the airport parking shuttle buses landside over to the main terminal.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:17 pm

Schultz is home and resting. He's very, very loopy.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I’m in the JFK T4 SC, about 10 min from boarding N705TW to head back home
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:37 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by kipper
Sgt. Schultz's surgery went well
Originally Posted by kipper
Schultz is home and resting. He's very, very loopy.
Glad to hear it!

Old Mar 14, 2019, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels
Glad to hear it!

LOL, exactly...
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Quick question I couldn't find the answer to: Does SDC fee waiver for GM+ extend to separate PNR, but linked reservations?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:50 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by bloc0102
Quick question I couldn't find the answer to: Does SDC fee waiver for GM+ extend to separate PNR, but linked reservations?
(for future reference the main SDC thread is here: Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options where this question is answered in the wiki)

By the book, DL doesn't grant the SDC fee waiver to companions of waiver-eligible pax even on the same PNR so on a separate-but-linked PNR I wouldn't expect it to apply either. However people have reported getting it waived anyway (I think both with and without asking) so it may be agent-dependent. Not much to lose by trying anyway...
bloc0102 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.