Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread Everybody is Still Welcome! 2018-2021

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread Everybody is Still Welcome! 2018-2021

Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Hey guys! I need a little input. Im in D1 on this Mondays JFK>LAX DL2896 flight. Seat pickins be a wee bit thin. Im currently in 1C but cant shake the feelin that theres a better alternative.

FYI, Ill be coming in from KBP (Kiev, Ukraine) to JFK about 2:30-ish, Clubbing it for 2-3 hours, then boarding JFK>LAX, so Ill probably be stuffed to the gills and will just want to sleep in the best peace and quiet possible on an A333.

So, using this seatmap, which would you choose for the best chance at a few hours shut-eye?

Muchas gracias!

Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:31 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by TheHorta
[left]Hey guys! I need a little input. Im in D1 on this Mondays JFK>LAX DL2896 flight. Seat pickins be a wee bit thin. Im currently in 1C but cant shake the feelin that theres a better alternative.

FYI, Ill be coming in from KBP (Kiev, Ukraine) to JFK about 2:30-ish, Clubbing it for 2-3 hours, then boarding JFK>LAX, so Ill probably be stuffed to the gills and will just want to sleep in the best peace and quiet possible on an A333.

So, using this seatmap, which would you choose for the best chance at a few hours shut-eye?

Muchas gracias!
I've never been in the mini-cabin but it seems like there might be less foot traffic? That'd be my pick based on what's left. Plus I like window seats even if planning on sleeping, one neighbor fewer...
mattp1987 and TheHorta like this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Maybe 8J? I try to avoid the last row of D1 or FC on most aircraft because the bassinet seats are usually the following row.

On international some families pick the minicabin, so that's a risk but if you don't care about meal choice, at least the back rows don't have that disadvantage for you.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:03 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Zorak
I've never been in the mini-cabin but it seems like there might be less foot traffic? That'd be my pick based on what's left. Plus I like window seats even if planning on sleeping, one neighbor fewer...
I've found that if I'm going to sleep on a flight, I don't mind a window seat. I still prefer an aisle, but the window seat has the perk of being able to lean against the window.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by kipper
I've found that if I'm going to sleep on a flight, I don't mind a window seat. I still prefer an aisle, but the window seat has the perk of being able to lean against the window.
True, but in this case from the seat map TheHorta is on a 332 with 1-2-1 seating and direct aisle access, making a window seat the best of both worlds!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:15 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
True, but in this case from the seat map TheHorta is on a 332 with 1-2-1 seating and direct aisle access, making a window seat the best of both worlds!
That is the best of both worlds. Well, except that on my flight to FCO, I had an entire section of of seats (3-3-3 configuration) to myself. So, I could sprawl out across 3 seats.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Maybe 8J? I try to avoid the last row of D1 or FC on most aircraft because the bassinet seats are usually the following row.

On international some families pick the minicabin, so that's a risk but if you don't care about meal choice, at least the back rows don't have that disadvantage for you.
+1 - imho the only thing you lose in row 8 is meal choice, and you gain not having a seat mate and control over the window closest to you so you can ensure it stays closed for the whole flight. Id take 8J in this situation for sure.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by kipper
That is the best of both worlds. Well, except that on my flight to FCO, I had an entire section of of seats (3-3-3 configuration) to myself. So, I could sprawl out across 3 seats.
On my DTW-SAT flight the other night, my coworker had all 3 seats on the wider side of a 717 to himself in C+. Technically companions arent UG eligible to C+, but I guess the GA moved him there anyway because it was so empty. He was pretty happy about that.

I was by myself on the 2 seat side of C+ but ended up getting moved to 1B right before the door closed after 2 people no-showed (was #5 for 3 seats at gate). Honestly, I might have been better off with my own row in C+. I generally avoid bulkheads because Im tall, the flight was too late for dinner service, and the FA was not very forthcoming with drink service. Still, I wasnt going to turn down F, especially now that UGs are rare as a lowly FO. 😀
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:40 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by mattp1987
a lowly FO. 😀
Scum of the earth.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by Cholula
Scum of the earth.
Hey, Ill carry your bags!
Cholula and TheHorta like this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

Dagnabbit! I just read this, went to the seat map, and as my legacy of bad luck would have it, some evil devil worshipper has snatched 8J from my clutches.

What is it with people?!

My remaining choices. Grrrrr:

Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
first world problems, dude ... sorry
TheHorta likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:59 pm

You snooze, you lose a good place to snooze
​​​​​​
(I'd still take 9J if it were me)
TheHorta likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:11 pm

You snooze, you lose a good place to snooze
​​​​​​
(I'd still take 9J if it were me)
So, I changed to 9J, then went running back to 1C for a single reason. The last time I got downgraded into C+ (immediately behind 9J) I endured a gaggle of screaming infants, the likes of which Id never experienced. It was like they were all competing to be the voice-over for the next Godzilla movie.

So, knowing my luck Id be in for Part Deux of the Godzilla Auditions. Ill be dead tired, and skipping dinner, so Im hoping 1C will give me the best shot at getting some
decent sleep.

Cholula likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Keep watching the seat map. There can be a lot of movement close to departure as business travelers on full fares shift their travel schedules. Sometimes IROPs (for other people) can be your friend.
TheHorta likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.