Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Still Welcome! 2018-2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Still Welcome! 2018-2021

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Please define cold. Unless it's below zero F, I have no sympathy.
I've lived in several parts of the country and there are very different types of "cold" and to be honest, high 30's/low 40s with wind and rain in Florida in the coastal areas is some of the most miserable cold/weather I've experienced because of the high humidity and moisture in the air. I would rather deal with teens or single digits in the Midwest than certain cold-weather conditions in Florida.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Its warmer here in GA than in my old haunts of MCI DAY/CVG
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zitsky
How do people up north deal with it if they don't have all wheel drive or snow tires?
As someone who’s lived all over - the snow is also different in the South. It’s not just driving skill and snow removal equipment (although both are factors), it’s the proportion of ice and freezing rain to normal snow. In the north, the snowfall tends to be fluffier snow you can actually get traction on, while in the south the warmer temperatures tend to cause melting and refreezing cycles that turn everything into a slightly concealed ice skating rink for a few days until enough salt or sand is down.

All wheel drive is helpful but not a panacea. (Looking at you, Seattleite who thinks the Cascade Bicycle Club, 13.1 and KEXP stickers on your Subaru Outback are an impervious shield to all elements.). You have less chance of getting stuck in a rut, and more shots at finding traction, but if none of those little patches of rubber are finding solid ground and you’re driving like it’s a normal dry road, you’re gonna have a bad time.

Actually, a solid traction control system is as important as anything else. I’ll never forget the new drivers’ track day at BMW’s Spartanburg, SC plant my parents got for me when I turned 16; I was driving circles around the skid pad asking when the E46 330xi I was in would spin out, and the instructor chuckled and said “now”, flipping the ASC switch off and launching the car immediately and uncontrollably into the dirt. That was simulating rainy conditions, but the principle of micro-adjustments to throttle and brake is helpful in snow too.

Last edited by BenA; Jan 29, 2019 at 12:23 pm
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Howste
Go into your FlyerTalk settings and enable the Post-n-Sleep™ function. I wasn't even awake when that was posted...
LOL
How do people up north deal with it if they don't have all wheel drive or snow tires?
Carefully.
Originally Posted by Howste
I don't have snow tires or all-wheel drive. I learned to drive in snow at a young age and have many years of experience now. I took my kids to an empty parking lot to practice soon after they got their licenses. Fun.
I now have snow tires. It's easier.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:38 pm

I'm in Raleigh. I'm a contractor and my boss is in D.C. He drove down yesterday for a one day visit. So he was here all day and left around 3:30pm to head back to D.C. Weather forecast says that are expecting some snow. Not as much as up north but enough to slow him down.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:19 pm

We received a few inches of snow. Nothing major, but enough to make it inconvenient to get home and to the train tomorrow morning.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
We received a few inches of snow. Nothing major, but enough to make it inconvenient to get home and to the train tomorrow morning.
Look on the bright side. It could be worse. You seem to have things in perspective.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:34 pm

Look on the bright side. It could be worse. You seem to have things in perspective.
Mr. Kipper said, "If it is any consolation, it is raining here." No, not really, when we aren't supposed to be above freezing again until Sunday.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:43 pm

Need HELP!!! SkyMiles question

Hello, I’m wondering if paying on a loan ex.( Home,car,or personal ) would be considered an “eligible purchase” for SkyMiles?

thank you

and sorry if this isn’t the proper place for question.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:03 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by MillerSVT
Hello, I’m wondering if paying on a loan ex.( Home,car,or personal ) would be considered an “eligible purchase” for SkyMiles?

thank you

and sorry if this isn’t the proper place for question.
This is a general "shoot the breeze thread" so as such there aren't really any wrong questions, although duplicate posting is frowned upon (it's technically against the FT rules, although I don't think there's any particular penalty either ).

I posted a reply to the thread you started.
MarkP24 and MillerSVT like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:19 am

Housekeeper here in HNL saw me carrying a 12-pk of Kirin Ichiban bottles ($8.88ea when you buy 2 at Foodland) and said "...it's a good night for drinking, it's so cold!" BTW, it is presently 70*F here!

I do like sake, but beer and sushi go together... provided it is the right kind of beer!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Kipper
Housekeeper here in HNL saw me carrying a 12-pk of Kirin Ichiban bottles ($8.88ea when you buy 2 at Foodland) and said "...it's a good night for drinking, it's so cold!" BTW, it is presently 70*F here!

I do like sake, but beer and sushi go together... provided it is the right kind of beer!
Sigh... And this is what I'm experiencing.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by kipper
Sigh... And this is what I'm experiencing.
I'm at 19 degrees, and with the wind chill it feels like it's 8. Brrrr!!!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:03 am

23F in Raleigh. Had some rain last night that stopped around 8pm. So some ice but roads are mostly ok.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
At MSP, it's -28F (actual) with a windchill around -50F to -65F in the state. Last night the windchill at the airport got to -57 but this wasn't on the hour, so it doesn't officially count. [I never knew this about temperature records.] Officially the low windchill reading at the airport was about -53F. Note the minus signs in front of these temperatures.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jan 30, 2019 at 8:25 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.