Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Still Welcome! 2018-2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Still Welcome! 2018-2021

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:56 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by BenA
I’d have tried to SDC onto DL 8240, but there probably isn’t any GUC availability and I don’t want to lose my lieflats...
I assume they've made an upgrade list and checked it twice
BenA and Howste like this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Zorak
I assume they've made an upgrade list and checked it twice
Are you confusing Delta with Santa Claus?
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are you confusing Delta with Santa Claus?
Did you notice the destination?
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
She sounds like a South Pole elf to me.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I missed it; that's cute. Could this be a Make A Wish flight or something similar?
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I missed it; that's cute. Could this be a Make A Wish flight or something similar?
It's a program called Holiday in the Hangar. In many hub cities, Delta employees decorate a hangar like the North Pole, then they operate a faux flight for disadvantaged children to the "North Pole". It's handled just like a real flight, departing from a decorated gate area, and my understanding is that they ask the kids to shut the windowshades to maintain the illusion. They board everyone onto a random aircraft that they can spare for a few hours, just like a real flight... then they taxi it across the tarmac to the hangar, where they proceed to shut the hangar door and let the kids party with Santa, receive donated gifts, and generally have a blast of a time with a bunch of Delta volunteers for a few hours.

Today at SEA, they'd claimed the Xiamen Airlines counter across from DL baggage drop as "checkin" for the Holiday in the Hangar program, and the departure gate was A13 (probably chosen because it's at the far, far end of A and could accommodate the decorations without impacting other passengers too much.) They'll probably bring the kids out to the DL MX hangar across from the S satellite.

At the SkyTeam MegaDo in October, the Delta employees were saying they were already getting excited for this year's event. Apparently, everyone wants to volunteer for it and staffing slots are actually as much of a choice assignment as a long haul international flight! I think it's really cool they even managed to get the flight a real flight number and get it on the info board in the terminal, although it isn't trackable on Delta.com...

Really nice way to let kids who otherwise might not get any chance to experience aviation have a taste of what it's like to fly, and a wonderful community service gesture.

(I believe AS and many other airlines do something similar, if I remember from past years...)
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:14 pm

(I believe AS and many other airlines do something similar, if I remember from past years...)
Here's SLC a few years ago:

Seasonal decorations at SLC gate D1

(with link to a Wikipedia page about "fantasy flights")
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:14 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
It's a program called Holiday in the Hangar. In many hub cities, Delta employees decorate a hangar like the North Pole, then they operate a faux flight for disadvantaged children to the "North Pole". It's handled just like a real flight, departing from a decorated gate area, and my understanding is that they ask the kids to shut the windowshades to maintain the illusion. They board everyone onto a random aircraft that they can spare for a few hours, just like a real flight... then they taxi it across the tarmac to the hangar, where they proceed to shut the hangar door and let the kids party with Santa, receive donated gifts, and generally have a blast of a time with a bunch of Delta volunteers for a few hours.

Today at SEA, they'd claimed the Xiamen Airlines counter across from DL baggage drop as "checkin" for the Holiday in the Hangar program, and the departure gate was A13 (probably chosen because it's at the far, far end of A and could accommodate the decorations without impacting other passengers too much.) They'll probably bring the kids out to the DL MX hangar across from the S satellite.

At the SkyTeam MegaDo in October, the Delta employees were saying they were already getting excited for this year's event. Apparently, everyone wants to volunteer for it and staffing slots are actually as much of a choice assignment as a long haul international flight! I think it's really cool they even managed to get the flight a real flight number and get it on the info board in the terminal, although it isn't trackable on Delta.com...

Really nice way to let kids who otherwise might not get any chance to experience aviation have a taste of what it's like to fly, and a wonderful community service gesture.

That's very cool!
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:19 am

Here's SLC a few years ago:

Seasonal decorations at SLC gate D1

(with link to a Wikipedia page about "fantasy flights")
After some more digging around:

Jepesen approach plate:

https://ww1.jeppesen.com/documents/p...pole-chart.pdf

ICAO code for BINP airport:

https://www.google.com/m?q=binp+airport

Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: DL GM
Saying good bye to the SkyClub :/

I've got a baby on the way, and I've just come to the realization that we won't be able to bring them into the SkyClub (at least not without paying a $29 guest fee :/). The wife and I currently have access via the Amex Plat card, but it looks like we won't have much use for it anymore. We definitely hope to keep traveling even with an infant (key word is "hope"), but we fly out of BOS, which doesn't have a Priority Pass lounge in the Delta terminal.

Not that the SkyClub was that amazing - but at least it was slightly less hectic and slightly more comfortable than the rest of the terminal.

I bet without me and my wife in the club, everyone else will have a much easier time finding a place to sit in BOS/MSP/JFK/SFO . Plus no crying babies to worry about.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by yaychemistry
I've got a baby on the way
Congrats!
yaychemistry likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
I've got a baby on the way...
Congrats! Good to know the chemistry worked out.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:28 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I've got a baby on the way, and I've just come to the realization that we won't be able to bring them into the SkyClub (at least not without paying a $29 guest fee :/). The wife and I currently have access via the Amex Plat card, but it looks like we won't have much use for it anymore. We definitely hope to keep traveling even with an infant (key word is "hope"), but we fly out of BOS, which doesn't have a Priority Pass lounge in the Delta terminal.

Not that the SkyClub was that amazing - but at least it was slightly less hectic and slightly more comfortable than the rest of the terminal.

I bet without me and my wife in the club, everyone else will have a much easier time finding a place to sit in BOS/MSP/JFK/SFO . Plus no crying babies to worry about.
Congrats on the baby!
yaychemistry likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:18 pm

Congrats. I hope we'll still continue to see you here, in this lounge.
yaychemistry likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Good morning from CVG SC. Hope y’all have your Reserve cards ready. Apparently they’re having issues looking up people’s profiles. Not sure if it’s system-wide.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.