China Eastern & Skymiles Earnings

Reply

Old Oct 23, 18, 9:28 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Seattle
Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
Posts: 536
China Eastern & Skymiles Earnings

I'm looking at the earnings chart for China Eastern, and I'm finding something that seems counter-intuitive so I wanted to check with some of you who might understand it better.

I'm looking at a flight from YVR-PVG-YVR. The total great circle distance for the roundtrip is 11,230. Because all the mileage including MQD is based on that distance, am I correct in understanding that the flight would generate MQDs (20% of distance flown) even if the ticket price is $600?
anon2k2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 18, 9:38 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, UX Suma Gold, Marriott Bonvoy™️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Posts: 3,380
Price paid for ticket is irrelevant on MU coded flights, as with most partner marketed and sold flights: MQDs are calculated as a percentage of distance flown. This can be favorable or unfavorable depending on how good of a “deal” the ticket is, but in aggregate the values are set to be about equivalent across all passengers.

In some cases, for airlines that Delta has a financial stake in, the values are particularly favorable to encourage bookings on certain partners - and MU is on that list.
BenA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 18, 10:27 am
  #3  
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 13,290
What fare class are these flights? The cheapest discount coach fares (T,G,Z) only earn 5% of distance flown as MQD's (as shown at the bottom of the chart). The 20% figure applies to B,M,E,H fares.
Looking at China Eastern website, the $600 RT fares look to be Z class, so only 5% distance flown.

Last edited by LBJ; Oct 23, 18 at 11:02 am
LBJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 18, 11:44 am
  #4  
cmx
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SAN
Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, AA Plat, AS MVP, SW ALP and CP, b6 Mosaic, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 196
If you go beyond PVG (to avoid the hassle and expense of getting a real visa and are going with the 144-hour transit visa) the onward flight from PVG sometimes generates 150% of distance in MQMs and 25% of distance in MQDs as it books into Y. I have read other anecdotal evidence here that other have had that experience.

Here's a blog post about leveraging partners to get MQDs: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/earn-...tner-airlines/

Another popular MQD generator is riding up front on AM through MEX to South America.
cmx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 18, 9:20 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: MKE
Programs: DL Platinum, MM
Posts: 948
So MU would be the best choice to fly USA-KMG? Especially in J?
jaimemayo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 18, 3:49 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 15,735
Anyone flown LAX Nanjing on MU? Curious how the flight service was as it's not a hub (PVG) crew.
flyerCO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 18, 3:50 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 15,735
Originally Posted by jaimemayo View Post
So MU would be the best choice to fly USA-KMG? Especially in J?
IMO, yes. I like MU best of mainland China airlines. Fares also are very cheap generally for J.
jaimemayo likes this.
flyerCO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 18, 8:14 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San Diego
Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, DL Diamond and 1MM, UA, AA
Posts: 3,372
No Skymiles Posting on MU Flights

I flew MU on two trips in September. On the first LAX-(PVG)-PEK trip, three segments posted a week later, but not the last PVG-LAX return leg. Nothing has posted in the last month on the second trip. In the past, I've had Delta tell me to wait three months for partner flights to post, which is BS. Is there a more reliable way to get my miles other than faxing in my boarding passes with a letter to Delta?

Miles posting on partner flights have always been hit or miss for me.



Last edited by Bowgie; Oct 25, 18 at 11:07 am
Bowgie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 18, 9:20 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, UX Suma Gold, Marriott Bonvoy™️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Posts: 3,380
Originally Posted by Bowgie View Post
I flew MU on two trips in September. On the first LAX-(PVG)-PEK trip, three segments posted a week later, but not the last PVG-LAX return leg. Nothing has posted in the last month on the second trip. In the past, I've had Delta tell me to wait three months for partner flights to post, which is BS. Is there a more reliable way to get my miles other than faxing in my boarding passed with a letter to Delta?

Miles posting on partner flights have always been hit or miss for me.


Sadly, no - just have to be vigilant and save all your boarding passes for the online request form.

For MU I’ve found that if my SkyMiles number prints on the boarding pass, I receive credit fairly consistently, but if it doesn’t print I don’t. I’ve had a single trip where some BPs have the number and others do not (!?); their IT system is pretty sketchy. Might at least be something you can glance at during checkin and ask the agent if there appears to be an issue...
BenA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 18, 10:17 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San Diego
Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, DL Diamond and 1MM, UA, AA
Posts: 3,372
Miles Denied by China Eastern!?

Originally Posted by BenA View Post


Sadly, no - just have to be vigilant and save all your boarding passes for the online request form.

For MU I’ve found that if my SkyMiles number prints on the boarding pass, I receive credit fairly consistently, but if it doesn’t print I don’t. I’ve had a single trip where some BPs have the number and others do not (!?); their IT system is pretty sketchy. Might at least be something you can glance at during checkin and ask the agent if there appears to be an issue...
Sounds about right. The boarding passes with Skymiles account posted. The others did not. The weird thing is that the first three segments of the second trip posted, but not the last PVG to LAX return. So I faxed the boarding passes to Delta, including the first trip that did not post at all. Segments quickly posted on Delta.com with no miles and the code for "Verifying with partner airline". A day later the code changes to "Z" for "miles accrual denied by partner airline." ARRGGG!! I will call in to Delta tomorrow and report back. Very frustrating because the segments were F or J for domestic China and "I" for LAX-PVG (or reverse). This is about 70,000 redeemable miles denied!
Bowgie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 18, 12:34 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 29,382
Originally Posted by jaimemayo View Post
So MU would be the best choice to fly USA-KMG? Especially in J?
KE and CX are both better options because they don't require a mainland China transfer.
moondog is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 18, 11:47 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San Diego
Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, DL Diamond and 1MM, UA, AA
Posts: 3,372
Too Soon

Originally Posted by Bowgie View Post
...later the code changes to "Z" for "miles accrual denied by partner airline." ARRGGG!! I will call in to Delta tomorrow and report back. Very frustrating because the segments were F or J for domestic China and "I" for LAX-PVG!
Delta told me to wait another week in case the mileage desk is already following up on the issue with MU.
Bowgie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 18, 1:14 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: Delta DM, B6 Mosaic
Posts: 905
Originally Posted by Bowgie View Post
Sounds about right. The boarding passes with Skymiles account posted. The others did not. The weird thing is that the first three segments of the second trip posted, but not the last PVG to LAX return. So I faxed the boarding passes to Delta, including the first trip that did not post at all. Segments quickly posted on Delta.com with no miles and the code for "Verifying with partner airline". A day later the code changes to "Z" for "miles accrual denied by partner airline." ARRGGG!! I will call in to Delta tomorrow and report back. Very frustrating because the segments were F or J for domestic China and "I" for LAX-PVG (or reverse). This is about 70,000 redeemable miles denied!
I have JFK-PVG-DEL-PVG-JFK booked in business class for next month. Was a decent fare ($2550). The layovers are long (9 and 6 hours), but for roughly $8k MQDs, 30k MQMs and a ton of redeemable miles it seemed worth it. This is good advice re: boarding passes. I always save mine anyway, but if my SkyMiles # doesn't print on the boarding passes then I'll plan on having to submit a claim for credit.
Billy Mumphrey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 18, 2:12 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: DTW
Programs: DL PM
Posts: 624
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Anyone flown LAX Nanjing on MU? Curious how the flight service was as it's not a hub (PVG) crew.
No, but I am glad to hear about that route. I may fly it in Jan/Feb '19 as Nanjing is closer to my final destination.
Was just looking and pricing routings to PVG today; will take a look at NKG now.
MarkCron is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 18, 2:33 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Programs: Delta DM, AS MVP Gold 75K
Posts: 299
This is good to know. I have a trip to HKG coming up in a few weeks and will try to make sure my Sky Miles number is on all my boarding passes. This trip is in J and will count towards a lot of my MQD requirement to reach Diamond for next year! I hope I don't have any problems!

OPS
mattya9 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread