FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Flimsy tray tables in first (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1936948-flimsy-tray-tables-first.html)

ethernal Oct 23, 2018 6:51 am

Flimsy tray tables in first

Perhaps this should go in the "most pathetic things to rant about" thread but is anyone else annoyed by how flimsy Delta first class tray tables are on most planes? They tend to bow up in the middle and flex significantly such that you end up having to type on your laptop halfway crooked and constantly bouncing up and down making it hard to read the screen. I usually end up getting frustrated and just putting my laptop on my lap rather than deal with the impotent tray table.

On most of Delta's domestic competitors (e.g., United, Alaska), the tray table has an extender that reaches to the other side of the seat and creates a firm, straight surface rather than a lever arm.

What gives? And am I alone in this frustration or do others find it annoying too?

JesseRohr Oct 23, 2018 8:01 am

MD88/90 birds have the worst trays. Typically I have to use one of the magazines on one side to make a flat surface for the laptop.

Delta's cabins are just pitiful when you fly other carrier's premium products I've found. Anecdotal I know, but that's my findings thus far.

ethernal Oct 23, 2018 8:23 am

It's not just the creaky MDs - in fact I think the tray tables on the 737-900s are worse.

aviatorzz Oct 23, 2018 9:08 am

Honestly I'll take the traytables on the mainline fleet over the RJ fleet any day. Every single 2 class RJ, in the premium cabin are just plain awful. I tend to just keep the table partially closed, and just set my laptop on that if I need to work. I know they have a little catch, but when it does work, it typically tends to bow towards my lap.

That being said, no other carrier has sturdy tables other than AA on their 737/757 fleet. United I find the worst over all, as theirs don't really accommodate my legs and typically bow, especially on the 738/9. The only other aircraft in the fleet that it works well on is the 757 (-300).

ethernal Oct 23, 2018 9:32 am

Originally Posted by aviatorzz (Post 30346716)
Honestly I'll take the traytables on the mainline fleet over the RJ fleet any day. Every single 2 class RJ, in the premium cabin are just plain awful. I tend to just keep the table partially closed, and just set my laptop on that if I need to work. I know they have a little catch, but when it does work, it typically tends to bow towards my lap.

That being said, no other carrier has sturdy tables other than AA on their 737/757 fleet. United I find the worst over all, as theirs don't really accommodate my legs and typically bow, especially on the 738/9. The only other aircraft in the fleet that it works well on is the 757 (-300).

In my experience United's A320 family seats are rock solid as well.

I pretty much never fly Delta's RJs - my only experience has been an E-175 and it has been okay (no worse than the 737 seats at least).

jdrtravel Oct 23, 2018 9:38 am

Please complain when you come across broken tray tables, DL needs to see in their data that they are getting complaints about this to know to invest. They will also give you some miles.

mdaecher Oct 24, 2018 6:50 am

kind of pathetic that designers haven't figured out a better tray, even when refurbing planes

3Cforme Oct 24, 2018 8:24 am

Originally Posted by mdaecher (Post 30350148)
kind of pathetic that designers haven't figured out a better tray, even when refurbing planes

Designers and carrier bean-counters define 'better tray' differently from you and the OP: Lighter, thinner, cheaper.

jdrtravel Oct 24, 2018 8:37 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 30350451)
Designers and carrier bean-counters define 'better tray' differently from you and the OP: Lighter, thinner, cheaper.

Exactly. Of course a better tray is available. And so are more technicians to perform regular upkeep. DL would just have to pay for it.

cmginc Oct 27, 2018 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal (Post 30346548)
It's not just the creaky MDs - in fact I think the tray tables on the 737-900s are worse.

Totally agree on the 737-900 trays... very poor quality.

bretthexum Oct 28, 2018 8:02 am

I had one last week on a 737 where I had to prop my knee up on one side so my meal didn't slide off. Yes, it's a 1st world problem but at the same time, is it really a "premium" experience? Fix the crap.

Widgets Oct 28, 2018 9:20 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel (Post 30346842)
Please complain when you come across broken tray tables, DL needs to see in their data that they are getting complaints about this to know to invest. They will also give you some miles.

I’d like to add that any cabin maintenance issues can be emailed directly to [email protected]. Just provide all flight details so they can identify the specific aircraft.

Ysitincoach Oct 28, 2018 10:02 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel (Post 30346842)

There's so many points to constructively suggest improvements, yet they've made it evident they have very narrow focus on what to improve. Then they'll surprise us with enhancements that they claim customers have requested.