C+ on the CRJ200

Old Oct 19, 18, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; MR Titanium & LTT; Hilton Diamond; National Exec Elite
C+ on the CRJ200

I was on a CRJ200 operated by SkyWest yesterday. I was seated in 1A (Comfort +). The gentleman next to me and I both asked for an alcoholic beverage. The FA reminded us it was cash only and attempted to charge us for the drinks. I pointed out that Comfort + is supposed to include alcoholic beverages. She said yes, but only on the larger aircraft and mainline flights and that C+ on the CRJ200 ďisnít real C+Ē. Neither of us had cash so we just got non-alcoholic drinks. At least one person across the aisle paid up for their drink however.

This was my first DL CRJ200 flight in many years, probably since 2012. Was the FA correct? Is C+ on the CRJ200 excluded from the comp drink policy?

Last edited by flamingocrazyfl; Oct 19, 18 at 2:07 pm
Old Oct 19, 18, 1:54 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: Delta FO (I use to be More)
was it under 350 miles? If so then no she was correct.
Old Oct 19, 18, 1:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
They advertise that it's Comfort +, including the snack basket and full drink service, seems the FA needs to be retrained...
Old Oct 19, 18, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HWGeeks View Post
was it under 350 miles? If so then no she was correct.
551 miles to be exact.
Old Oct 19, 18, 2:10 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: Delta FO (I use to be More)
she was incorrect by 201 miles.
Old Oct 19, 18, 2:29 pm

Programs: 8 Year UA Gold/1P now nothing, Happy DL Gold
Not quite a C+ issue but similar... I was on one of the 717s LGA-ORD which is, of course, branded as Shuttle. Due to irrops I ended up in regular Economy but Shuttle advertises free booze for all. When I ordered a Woodford, the FA told me it's only beer and wine in Economy. I told her all shuttle flights include spirits as well even for Economy. She said "This isn't Shuttle, this is mainline." So I used drink coupon. Upon landing I showed her the website where it clearly says spirits as well, not just beer and wine.

For extra measure, I wrote in a complaint and got a call saying they would send me a drink coupon in the mail. When the envelope finally came, it was a SkyClub pass.
Bensky13 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 18, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by flamingocrazyfl View Post

551 miles to be exact.
report this to Delta.....sheís making things up and acting like itís coming out of her pocket.
Old Oct 19, 18, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by scruffair View Post
Not quite a C+ issue but similar... I was on one of the 717s LGA-ORD which is, of course, branded as Shuttle. Due to irrops I ended up in regular Economy but Shuttle advertises free booze for all. When I ordered a Woodford, the FA told me it's only beer and wine in Economy. I told her all shuttle flights include spirits as well even for Economy. She said "This isn't Shuttle, this is mainline." So I used drink coupon. Upon landing I showed her the website where it clearly says spirits as well, not just beer and wine.

For extra measure, I wrote in a complaint and got a call saying they would send me a drink coupon in the mail. When the envelope finally came, it was a SkyClub pass.
A skyclub pass is much better than a drink coupon - you really scored on that one!! Back before DL before began its cheapness campaign and cut the West Coast Shuttle, the biggest issue was that crews were not trained on the benefits provided for those flights. All they knew was the "flight was special for some reason." FA's would usually use their ipad to contact the people on the ground to ask what to do or just take a look at the benefits listed on the DL website.

ETA: Based on my experience, I would say this is not the FA's fault, but Delta's fault for failure to communicate this.
Old Oct 19, 18, 3:10 pm

Programs: 8 Year UA Gold/1P now nothing, Happy DL Gold
Absolutely agree. That's why I didn't give her a hard time about it. I don't understand how airlines have so much trouble educating their staff on these things. They just really don't care. And that's a serious problem when they differentiate products and services and make extra money by promising benefits that customers don't receive. I saw her charge a half a dozen people for drinks just within my proximity on that flight. As far as I'm concerned, that's stealing.
Old Oct 19, 18, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The Situation View Post
ETA: Based on my experience, I would say this is not the FA's fault, but Delta's fault for failure to communicate this.
Like the other poster, this is why I did not push back on it. I was also thinking that being a SkyWest FA, she may be flying for DL one week and UA the next. Not sure if thatís really the case or not, but just an assumption. This was the first time Iíve had an Issue getting the drink in C+. I went through something similar when AA rolled out free snacks and drinks for EXP members, especially post US merger with former US crews.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 18, 3:47 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition.
On a related note, is SkyWest cash only? I though DL and connection carriers were cashless.
Old Oct 19, 18, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DLdweeb View Post
On a related note, is SkyWest cash only? I though DL and connection carriers were cashless.
Interesting, our flight was cash only, but I honestly do not fly DL Connection enough to know any better. I know over on AA, Eagle flights are cash only, so it didnít strike me as being odd. Since switching to DL earlier this year, Iíve only been on mainline flights.
Old Oct 19, 18, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold; Ex AA EXP

Like the other poster, this is why I did not push back on it. I was also thinking that being a SkyWest FA, she may be flying for DL one week and UA the next. Not sure if thatís really the case or not, but just an assumption. This was the first time Iíve had an Issue getting the drink in C+. I went through something similar when AA rolled out free snacks and drinks for EXP members, especially post US merger with former US crews.
I was on a flight from LAS to SAN (I think CRJ but may have been EMB 170 or 175) in C+ and they served only coffee or water. Alcoholic beverages weren't even offered, but I guess as it was under 350 miles, there were no alcoholic beverages
Old Oct 19, 18, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL; SPG; Marriott
Unfortunately, I fly Delta Connection far more often than I fly on mainline. Fortunately, being based out of NYC, most of my Delta Connection flights are on Endeavor, and I generally have no quibbles with Endeavor.

All flights on Delta Connection CRJ-200s (an aircraft better referred to as the Devil's Chariot), regardless of the operating carrier (I believe it's down to Endeavor and SkyWest as CRJ-200 operators for Delta Connection at this point) are cash only because none of these aircraft are equipped with WiFi, so the FA can't use a handheld device. This means one can't even use a drink certificate from one's app wallet on one of these flights. All other aircraft in Delta's mainline and Connection fleets are equipped with WiFi, and are thus cashless, as opposed to cash only. This is perfectly logical, right? Then again, I really shouldn't complain since at least half the time when I end up in the main cabin on a mainline aircraft and request an alcoholic drink, the FAs only feign scanning the drink certificate as used and the certificate remains valid in my app wallet.

I've never had an FA on Endeavor refuse me a complementary alcoholic drink in "Comfort+" on a CRJ-200 flight. Even if one is not seated in "Comfort+" on such a flight, though, it usually doesn't take much cajoling for an Endeavor FA with a free alcoholic beverage. Showing the FA a drink certificate from one's app wallet will often do the drink, even though the FA can't scan the certificate as used. Another technique is asking the FA if s/he has change for a $20.00 bill. They often don't have change or can't be bothered to make change and will give you the drink for free. Until Delta started blocking out the formerly preferred seats rows 2 and 3 on CRJ-200 flights for gate assignments for weight and balance purposes, on flights with weight and balance issues, FAs regularly offered up a free drink or two as enticement to move to a seat in the back of the plane in order to rectify weight and balance issues.
Old Oct 19, 18, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold; Ex AA EXP

The SkyWest FA's may not be aware of the various programs or offerings. I was on a DL flight in F where the SkyWest FA didn't do pre departure beverages.

Search this Thread