Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Nothing but 280k mile US-EU in biz early December

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Delta PM/2MM, Marriott Ambassador Elite/Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond

Am I mistaken that pricing for biz fares US-EU is really really high < 30 days out?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
R/T or one way? What airport pairs have you checked?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Covered in a number of other threads. The CSV860 86K one-way awards have a 90-day advance purchase requirement. If you are lucky, you might find a partner award (CSM750) closer in than that as these don't have advance purchase requirements. If you want cheaper award rates less than 90 days out, you will generally need to book a round-trip. For example, CSTR1200's have a 30-day advance requirement and CSQR1600's have a 14-day advance requirement. There's some 80K/90K one-way's to LHR from gateway cities which are valid from Nov 18 - 24. But these have a 30-day advance (the booking window is almost up) and have limited availability.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
Covered in a number of other threads. The CSV860 86K one-way awards have a 90-day advance purchase requirement. If you are lucky, you might find a partner award (CSM750) closer in than that as these don't have advance purchase requirements. If you want cheaper award rates less than 90 days out, you will generally need to book a round-trip. For example, CSTR1200's have a 30-day advance requirement and CSQR1600's have a 14-day advance requirement. There's some 80K/90K one-way's to LHR from gateway cities which are valid from Nov 18 - 24. But these have a 30-day advance (the booking window is almost up) and have limited availability.
How do you find this information?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Delta PM/2MM, Marriott Ambassador Elite/Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LBJ
That's... amazing info. Thanks!
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Weekend Away
How do you find this information?
Click on the "Fare Rules" link when you price out an award. This has the advance purchase requirements, min stay, applicability dates for the award, etc. I search from gateway cities (such as JFK, DTW, ATL, etc) for non-stop flights using the 5-week calendar view. Searching only for non-stop's weeds out potential broken fare award combinations. You need to do both one-way and roundtrip searches in order to be able to see both award types. For the roundtrip searches, I select a 7-night (8 day) stay as some awards have Tue/Wed travel requirements (again, found in the fare rules) and it makes it easier to see those.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Thank goodness Delta got rid of the award chart. I really hated having the ability to consistently know I can get a redemption for 140-160K miles one way in all but the most in-demand routes. They've made things so much better with their extremely fair, common-sense, and obviously demand-based dynamic pricing system.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ethernal
Thank goodness Delta got rid of the award chart. I really hated having the ability to consistently know I can get a redemption for 140-160K miles one way in all but the most in-demand routes. They've made things so much better with their extremely fair, common-sense, and obviously demand-based dynamic pricing system.

They've also made it so much easier to figure out how much our miles are worth, so we don't have to play games like "should I buy this or use miles?". Funny how every time I search for a redemption the free ticket comes out to value my miles pretty darn close to $0.014/mile. Easy peasy!!!
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon

They've also made it so much easier to figure out how much our miles are worth, so we don't have to play games like "should I buy this or use miles?". Funny how every time I search for a redemption the free ticket comes out to value my miles pretty darn close to $0.014/mile. Easy peasy!!!
I would agree if this was actually true or consistent. The reality is that a lot of Delta award tickets (especially those for J) the value is now <1 CPM!

Plenty of Delta One redemptions cost 560K roundtrip when there are discount fares available for purchase for <$4K (some as low as $3K). This is especially true when you want a nonstop - Delta may offer a 300K fare if you connect in some lower demand city (e.g., CVG, BOS, PDX) but if you want the non-stop they'll make you pay for it. Once you add in taxes and fees on the award ticket I've seen values as low as .5 CPM.

I realize one can pay with miles and that creates a 1 cpm floor, but still, it's a joke.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by webmarks
Am I mistaken that pricing for biz fares US-EU is really really high < 30 days out?
As always... a bit more detail and folks will try to help.

The U.S. involves hundreds of cities.

EU involves hundreds of cities.

GEEZ
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
As always... a bit more detail and folks will try to help.

The U.S. involves hundreds of cities.

EU involves hundreds of cities.

GEEZ
I know you're being snide. But here's the rub - it doesn't matter. Delta no longer sells any fares at low rates within 30 days on their own metal from the US to Europe. Regardless of origination or destination. The cheapest fare you will find is for about 350K miles - and that requires extreme flexibility. Most are 450-600K.

It is ironic because this is exactly the window where Delta has the greatest visibility on when their inventory will go unsold. Delta is charging its frequent flyers extreme prices for seats that won't be sold - even though all evidence shows that J mile redemption and J close-in purchases are not substitute goods (e.g., almost everyone will not purchase paid J because they did not get an award - they will either not fly at all or fly in Economy). It is purely punitive and extractive.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ethernal
Delta is charging its frequent flyers extreme prices for seats that won't be sold - even though all evidence shows that J mile redemption and J close-in purchases are not substitute goods (e.g., almost everyone will not purchase paid J because they did not get an award - they will either not fly at all or fly in Economy). It is purely punitive and extractive.
That would be very interesting. Can you point to 'all evidence'?

Last edited by 3Cforme; Oct 23, 2018 at 7:05 pm
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How many people do you know use their personal frequent flyer miles to redeem free tickets when they're traveling for business?
A few entrepreneurs or small business owners perhaps? (And many of those probably would never pay for J anyway).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.