Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Expedia Flight + Hotel: First/Business on Delta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:30 am
Original Poster

I'm looking for business class flights to Europe next summer, and a link in the Premium Fare Deals forum tripped me onto Expedia packages. I'm seeing packages to Brussels/Amsterdam/Paris from MSP for $2200-$2500 (depending on hotel) flying First/Business on Skyteam. Right now that price is far and above better than what I can find through the airlines.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has experience with Expedia flight/hotel packages and if there are specific things I should watch out for. Anyone gotten the cheapest hotel for one night and just thrown it? How are the flights transferred to Delta/SkyTeam? How do miles work, etc?

Any advice pro/con?

We are flexile on location, but we have a cruise out of CPH and into ARN in the middle of the trip, so would likely be positioning to get to our round trip fare location.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
It's no different from booking a flight-only through Expedia (or another OTA), they have control until 24 hours before departure of first segment then the itinerary moves under airline control. Miles per the fare class, likely to be the lowest discounted business
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL PM
Any experience with not staying at the hotel in the package - does the return flight segment get cancelled if you don't show at the hotel by Expedia?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Advice: if you are thinking about aiming for DM, consider booking KL/AF flight numbers for the insane MQD/$
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by angra
Advice: if you are thinking about aiming for DM, consider booking KL/AF flight numbers for the insane MQD/$
I know I selected that for the return, but I couldn't find the deal on KL/AF for the outbound.

And ElliotMB, I did see on that Premium Fare Deals post that someone had not stayed at the hotel -- and their return was not cancelled. That would make me nervous though. I'd probably at least try to just check in.

Also, I'm not sure if this is a great deal or not? For some reason, I'm nervous about OTAs; I've only ever booked direct with the airline.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:56 pm

2200 for biz to europe does not feel like a(n especially) great deal to me. I've been able to secure in the same ballpark all the way to CPH or SIN (via Europe).

I haven't taken my trip yet so I can't first-hand confirm about hotel skipping. I'm planning to not bother checking in to my "hotel" so I can report back in April.

Remember that once you have found dates that work you can usually reduce the number of hotel nights to 2, regardless of the length of the "trip". I've always found a super cheap (e.g. camping) option in any city I've looked at, so this turns into very few $.

Also remember to get partner earning, it is the flight number that counts, not whose metal it is on.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
I have done 2 where I booked 1 night hotel and no showed. Also have one in Feb for NBO where I will stay 1 night at ICH. Not a problem with ticket or posting of miles. Can't tell you if a good/great deal as depends what you are comparing. I have flown KL to NBO before so aware of hard product. The only issue is choice of flights offered by each OTA may be different and would suggest you try OTA like Travelocity to compare- (I have bought tickets from them before also).
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:41 pm

Do you get MQD/$ on a bulk ticket?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by audio-nut
Do you get MQD/$ on a bulk ticket?
Do not believe these are "bulk" tickets. As for MQD's, I am exempt so doesn't show.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by zebranz
Do not believe these are "bulk" tickets. As for MQD's, I am exempt so doesn't show.
I am almost certain they are. Expedia has to mask the ticket portion of the package and they do that by making it a bulk ticket.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by audio-nut
I am almost certain they are. Expedia has to mask the ticket portion of the package and they do that by making it a bulk ticket.
Then according to DL:
To earn toward Medallion Status with exception fares, one-fifth of the miles earned will count as Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs – U.S.-based Members only). For example, if you earn 1,500 “redeemable” miles on an exception fare, you would also earn 300 MQDs on that fare.

Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) and Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) are earned the same way you earn on regular tickets.

--
My Expedia tickets (even though on DL as 1st carrier) were not 006 stock.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by zebranz
Then according to DL:
To earn toward Medallion Status with exception fares, one-fifth of the miles earned will count as Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs – U.S.-based Members only). For example, if you earn 1,500 “redeemable” miles on an exception fare, you would also earn 300 MQDs on that fare.

Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) and Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) are earned the same way you earn on regular tickets.

--
My Expedia tickets (even though on DL as 1st carrier) were not 006 stock.
What stock? What was the itin broken by carrier?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, DL Plat (but not for long)
I have booked combination airline/hotel deals on Expedia and have always received full miles credit. In fact you can log into delta.com within 24 hours of booking and see your flight details, change seats e.t.c…

Also, there is no connection between Delta and the hotel so if you are a no show at the hotel it should not have an impact on the flight.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by angra
2200 for biz to europe does not feel like a(n especially) great deal to me. I've been able to secure in the same ballpark all the way to CPH or SIN (via Europe).

I haven't taken my trip yet so I can't first-hand confirm about hotel skipping. I'm planning to not bother checking in to my "hotel" so I can report back in April.

Remember that once you have found dates that work you can usually reduce the number of hotel nights to 2, regardless of the length of the "trip". I've always found a super cheap (e.g. camping) option in any city I've looked at, so this turns into very few $.

Also remember to get partner earning, it is the flight number that counts, not whose metal it is on.
From MSP, I consider any RT to Europe in D1 that costs significantly under $4000 to be a good deal. Of course I would not make the same statement for tickets originating at JFK for example.
angra and Kacee like this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
From MSP, I consider any RT to Europe in D1 that costs significantly under $4000 to be a good deal. Of course I would not make the same statement for tickets originating at JFK for example.
Fair enough and excellent point. I am an ATL captive and am in the habit of self-constructing broken fares to get around this. I sometimes forget that this is not, by default, most people's preference!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.