Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Expedia Flight + Hotel: First/Business on Delta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expedia Flight + Hotel: First/Business on Delta

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
From MSP, I consider any RT to Europe in D1 that costs significantly under $4000 to be a good deal. Of course I would not make the same statement for tickets originating at JFK for example.
Thanks MSPeconomist....I'm thinking fo jumping on this for that reason. I've been checking first/business daily since tickets opened up and I haven't seen any of those flights come down below 3500pp. I know that I might do better if I wait and find good deal out of the east coast + a positioning flight, but I worry a bit about positioning flights when it comes to big trips like this.

The only rub is that I have 130,000 Amex Platinum points that I could find a use for as well...although I've called multiple times and can't find a route in June/July that has an upgrade available.

I'm not so great with decisions. haha
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I've used Orbitz (owned by Expedia) and also Delta.com/Vacations which counts as an OTA. Both trips I earned MQD as the "bulk rate" of 20% the distance, and then normal 1.5x the distance for MQM as D1 fares. For Skymiles I have "Mileage earned based on distance flown". Orbitz put me on Air France 057 tickets, DL Vacations put me on 006 Delta stock but I still earned "based on distance flown" probably because it was a bulk/exception route.

The only thing that can be irritating with the OTAs is that they aren't as accommodating as Delta with schedule changes. My Prague trip was almost 1/2 the price of Delta.com so I didn't care, but when Delta extended my layover in JFK by more than an hour Orbitz wouldn't fix it, but DL did. I will say that when a flight was cancelled, Orbitz was good about rebooking me I just had to be patient. I was terrified they were going to see that I was paying so little and just cancel the ticket.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum
I see a good deal to Asia on MU business. If I book on the MU website, I should get about 36,000 regular miles (not counting the medallion bonus) and thus about 11000 MQD. Via Expedia (no hotel) I assume 36000 and 7200 respectively, which seems too good to be true, so I must check with the learned members of this forum. Until I saw this thread I thought you got nothing with OTA fares. Did I mix it up with Marriott Rewards?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:50 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum
I did some digging on some older threads, and it looks like I will get SkyMiles benefits on Expedia purchases.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by angra
Fair enough and excellent point. I am an ATL captive and am in the habit of self-constructing broken fares to get around this. I sometimes forget that this is not, by default, most people's preference!
Broken fres or separate tickets?

Usually the deep discount business class fares prohibit end-on-end ticketing, i.e., broken fares.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Broken fres or separate tickets?

Usually the deep discount business class fares prohibit end-on-end ticketing, i.e., broken fares.
separate tickets. I am playing fast and loose with the terminology.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
I use Expedia / Orbitz packages all the time. Other than a super sale, it is really the only way to get US-EU J class on Delta for $1800-$2500. Delta vacations also can work although they have limited hotels which is frustrating. Be sure to price check between websites, I’ve seen different flights show up on the different sites (sometimes they are all the same)
Old Oct 27, 2018, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I was without internet access for a while. My travel partners would rather fly premium economy than first class (cost is a concern). It would be the new premium select on Delta and then premium economy return on Air France. That still looks like a good deal in comparison to purchasing straight PE on Delta or Air France, plus the hotel we would get is very good. PE is still loads better than economy. Just out of curiosity, could we ever upgrade to business with points if we purchase the package on Expedia?
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:26 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Do not worry. I've booked these packages several times with great success.

The last one was ATL-FCO-ATL in J with 5 nights hotel for $1900. I got 4000 MQDs for it because the air part of it was issued through AF.

I don't know why people want to avoid the hotels; I guess because they're traveling elsewhere in the country? I find the hotels to be a great bargain as well.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Many people want to get their elite hotel benefits and credit toward status as well as points. Others just want to pick their own hotel and sometimes pick particular room categories above base level. There's also the issue of preferring to deal directly with the hotel or chain, and similarly with the airline rather than an OLTA.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Others just want to pick their own hotel and sometimes pick particular room categories above base level. There's also the issue of preferring to deal directly with the hotel or chain, and similarly with the airline rather than an OLTA.
I'm usually super picky about the hotels and I research them to death. Just so happens this package deal had one of my top choices but it was a bit over budget without the package. Overall I think I'm really happy with it all. Hope it all pans out.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM; Marriott Titanium
Why is it 11,000 MQD? Because total BIS mileage is 27,500?
Old Oct 28, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
From MSP, I consider any RT to Europe in D1 that costs significantly under $4000 to be a good deal. Of course I would not make the same statement for tickets originating at JFK for example.
Curious for your JFK number.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MarkP24
Curious for your JFK number.
Maybe $2500, but this isn't based on many data points, so it's only a very rough estimate.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Maybe $2500, but this isn't based on many data points, so it's only a very rough estimate.
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.