Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Priorty vs. PreCheck

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Most with Pre also have better idea what/what not to do.
You must be in different Precheck lines than me. I suspect the Priority lines are actually better in this respect, since a lot of random people still seem to be assigned Precheck and they just get confused by the different rules.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jordyn
You must be in different Precheck lines than me. I suspect the Priority lines are actually better in this respect, since a lot of random people still seem to be assigned Precheck and they just get confused by the different rules.
The priority line flows into the same lane as regular. You just get to the ID check quicker. The actual security checkpoint itself (between ID check and airside) is going to move slower.

Also I said most, not all passengers. For the most part, most in Pre lane what they're doing.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
The priority line flows into the same lane as regular.
This depends on location. In some places there's completely independent security setups for priority.

In any case, I'm super skeptical that TSA lines have 6-7 times the processing capacity as regular lines. I'd believe 2-3, but 6-7 seems like a made up number. I certainly can't find any support for it (in admittedly just a few minutes of searching the Internet).
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Do you have any citation for that number? It seems implausibly high to me. You could maybe get 6-7 times as many people through a WTMD as a nude-o-scan (although even that would be surprising to me), but taking your laptop and liquids out cannot possibly make the x-ray scanning process that much less efficient.
I suspect that it is a bit of everything. Less unpacking and packing to be done, more experienced travelers, more senior and less intrusive Officers, all coupled with the simple fact that all technologies currently in general use other than simple metal detection require the passenger to stop and wait for some period of time.

This is particularly exacerbated by time-consuming tasks such as removing shoes which an experienced traveler has done before holding up the line.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
It is theoretically DL's decision as to whether it will permit you access to its priority lane. If indeed the line minder is a DL employee or contractor (doesn't really matter), this is an issue for DL.
Yes, but the person standing there should not be making any decisions, the decision about access has already been made. If the BP says "sky priority" then you should be allowed in that line.

In any case, I'm super skeptical that TSA lines have 6-7 times the processing capacity as regular lines. I'd believe 2-3, but 6-7 seems like a made up number. I certainly can't find any support for it (in admittedly just a few minutes of searching the Internet).

I believe those numbers. A couple weeks ago at SFO the pre-check line was MUCH longer than the SP line--at least three and maybe four times as long. So we went to the SP line--argued with the agent who told us we needed to be in pre-check, and then she let us in. It was the wrong choice. Despite being in a much shorter line, the pre-check line would have absolutely gotten us through faster.

Last edited by jdrtravel; Oct 19, 2018 at 8:38 am
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Sounds like a great project/study for me next time I have a long layover . Is there a Journal of Airport Lines
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:58 pm

Location: Just relocated to Phoenix, so I guess that does it for Delta for me
Programs: DL "Annual" GM 2MM, AA lifetime Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Club
My general policy is that unless the Pre-check line goes into the next county, I’m always going to use it. After pulling out bins and filling them with my laptop, IPad, snacks, liquids, belt, wallet and shoes, then going through the body snanner, then rescuing all those things and dressing myself again, I’m totally stressed and worn out. You don’t appreciate Pre-check until you don’t get it once.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.