Sky Priorty vs. PreCheck

Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Sky Priorty vs. PreCheck

Recently minted Gold Medallion, and had a trip MSP-BOS-MSP this weekend. Both airports had pretty hefty lines at TSA. On the outbound, decided to exit the PreCheck lane and head over to the Sky Priority line, which I believe saved me 10-15 minutes as PreCheck was backed up. While I had to take shoes off, etc. it was worth the speed benefit.

On the way back (in Boston), I wanted to do the same thing. The contract agent checking boarding passes told me 'you have PreCheck, they'll send you back to the PreCheck line' and wouldn't let me take the Sky Priority line (which was almost empty).

Was she right? Any thoughts on which line is better. Its a small thing to grumble about but I want to make sure I'm not in the wrong!
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ElliottMB
Recently minted Gold Medallion, and had a trip MSP-BOS-MSP this weekend. Both airports had pretty hefty lines at TSA. On the outbound, decided to exit the PreCheck lane and head over to the Sky Priority line, which I believe saved me 10-15 minutes as PreCheck was backed up. While I had to take shoes off, etc. it was worth the speed benefit.

On the way back (in Boston), I wanted to do the same thing. The contract agent checking boarding passes told me 'you have PreCheck, they'll send you back to the PreCheck line' and wouldn't let me take the Sky Priority line (which was almost empty).

Was she right? Any thoughts on which line is better. Its a small thing to grumble about but I want to make sure I'm not in the wrong!
The contract agents working in BOS for DL are the worst.

they're also wrong here. If you have SkyPriority you can also use that line. Period.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by ElliottMB

She is wrong. They really can't stop you from getting into the line even if you don't have SkyPriority, much less when you do have it. Just politely explain you have SkyPriority and are entitled to use the line and then walk past them.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
Most non-precheck lines actually have the paper/plastic sheets that they hand you so you don't have to take off your shoes (you still need to take your laptop etc. out of your bag).
They're meant to be used when the precheck line is closed, but if you do end up there, it's worth asking and saving you the 2' and the "please stand on the yellow marks where 10,000 other pax just stood, with or without socks". Worst thing they may say they don't have the sheets or refuse to hand you one.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ethernal
Just politely explain you have SkyPriority and are entitled to use the line and then walk past them.
Would have, but they kindly had the line cordoned off and were opening/closing it as passengers came up. But glad to know its not a policy or something I had wrong!
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mayhem
Most non-precheck lines actually have the paper/plastic sheets that they hand you so you don't have to take off your shoes (you still need to take your laptop etc. out of your bag).
They're meant to be used when the precheck line is closed, but if you do end up there, it's worth asking and saving you the 2' and the "please stand on the yellow marks where 10,000 other pax just stood, with or without socks". Worst thing they may say they don't have the sheets or refuse to hand you one.
Note that to get this lite version of PreCheck you need a paper boarding pass, not one on your phone.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by puck021

Note that to get this lite version of PreCheck you need a paper boarding pass, not one on your phone.
Great tip - thanks!
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:53 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card

I've gotten pre-check lite several times without a paper boarding pass (most recently at EWR)
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
An agent tried this one morning on me at DFW before I had CLEAR. She said I couldn't use the First Class line and had to use the 30 min long precheck line, even though I was in First Class. I told her she was wrong and given incorrect information, and as a First Class passenger I was entitled to the line. She let me through but said "TSA will turn you around immediately". She was completely wrong. TSA agents couldn't care less as long as they get an ID that matches a boarding pass - you're through.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by pvn
I've gotten pre-check lite several times without a paper boarding pass (most recently at EWR)
I think the delta terminal at ERW only uses pre check lite, not full pre check. it is a big pain in the fanny, at least i think it is. Great skyclub, however.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is theoretically DL's decision as to whether it will permit you access to its priority lane. If indeed the line minder is a DL employee or contractor (doesn't really matter), this is an issue for DL.

Two things of note:

1. Access to priority lines is controlled by the air carriers, whether directly or through a contractor or through the airport authority. TSA does not get involved until the podium.
2. While the Pre-Check lane may be physically longer, it is estimated that Pre-Check moves 6-7 passengers for every passenger moved through a standard lane. Be really sure that despite length, that Pre-Check is not faster. Lite at the standard priority lane doesn't really affect this because it only takes one non-Pre Check pax ahead to slow down the line.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond

Do you mean just at MSP? Because otherwise it certainly isn't the case.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

Not true. Have gotten plenty of times with mobile BP. Not sure why paper v eBP would matter.
acrophobia likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
While the Pre-Check lane may be physically longer, it is estimated that Pre-Check moves 6-7 passengers for every passenger moved through a standard lane.
Do you have any citation for that number? It seems implausibly high to me. You could maybe get 6-7 times as many people through a WTMD as a nude-o-scan (although even that would be surprising to me), but taking your laptop and liquids out cannot possibly make the x-ray scanning process that much less efficient.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jordyn
Do you have any citation for that number? It seems implausibly high to me. You could maybe get 6-7 times as many people through a WTMD as a nude-o-scan (although even that would be surprising to me), but taking your laptop and liquids out cannot possibly make the x-ray scanning process that much less efficient.
Most with Pre also have better idea what/what not to do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.