Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Maybe need to change my strategy, need your thoughts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

So, I have 46k MQMs so far, 4.5k MQDs, and 20k spent on my Delta card for the waiver (and additional 10k MQMs)
The initial plan was simple, even if not flying at all (which I would, but not much), I would just renew my GM status by spending 5k more on the card before the end of the year.

But something unexpected kicked in, as a BOS resident, I was just given complimentary PM status for 6 months, and even till Feb 2020 if I fly 4 times during those 6 months. According to the conditions, the only thing I would miss would be the kit and the rollover if the Medallion status is not achieved by itself, but in my case SM is acquired already, so MQMs will rollover anyway.
Does it make sense to follow with the initial plan ?
  1. If I do, I will have earned GM status the regular way, but be PM through the offer and rollover at least 46k+10k-50k=6k MGMs (I assume)
  2. If I voluntarily do not use my Delta card anymore this year, I will miss the waiver, miss the extra 10k MGMs, have spent 20k on the card for nothing (I got much better ones) but still be PM and rollover at least 46k-25k=21k MQMs for 2020 (I assume), which would be a much better deal.
Am I correct in my calculation?
If so, is there a catch of not using option #2 ? The only one that I can think of is if for any reason (like being sick) I can't do the 4 trips I would be downgraded to SM in April.

I need to make a decision before the end of the month since I have a large expense to pay by credit card and don't want to screw things up so I welcome any advice.

Thanks.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:12 pm

Read the offer again. I think I remember something about you don’t get any rollover miles. I may be wrong, this is just off the top of my head.

edit:: you mentioned you get rollover if you achieve status on your own. I don’t think FO counts. I think they are saying if you reach PM on your own.

Last edited by sevastras; Oct 16, 2018 at 10:21 pm
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sevastras
Read the offer again. I think I remember something about you don’t get any rollover miles. I may be wrong, this is just off the top of my head.
edit:: you mentioned you get rollover if you achieve status on your own. I don’t think FO counts. I think they are saying if you reach PM on your own.

I have already reached 2019 SM on my own, so I would get rollover, my question is about pursuing getting 2019 GM on my own while I would be 2019 DM anyway
In any case, even if your interpretation was right that I will not get rollover, what would be the point of being GM instead of SM on my own since I will be PM in both cases?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:36 am

Wondering if you roll over the number of MQMs above that needed for the status level you have. So if you have PM (requires 75K) and earned 46K MQMs, you may not have any to rollover.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerwma
Wondering if you roll over the number of MQMs above that needed for the status level you have. So if you have PM (requires 75K) and earned 46K MQMs, you may not have any to rollover.
I guess I'm going to have to call them, because it's not clear at all. If is so, what's the point of continuing to earn miles till the end of the year, be it through flying or through card threshold bonus?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by flyerwma
This. If you get PM via the offer, then you need to exceed 75k MQM in order to roll anything over. The system won't keep track of the fact that without the offer you'd have earned FO/GM, it'll just see that you're at PM and only retain MQM over the PM threshold.

Originally Posted by Blackfox
I guess I'm going to have to call them, because it's not clear at all. If is so, what's the point of continuing to earn miles till the end of the year, be it through flying or through card threshold bonus?
The point would be to enjoy PM benefits while flying and/or to obtain the extra RDM. Most of DL's customers (and targets of promos like this) do not think about airline status strategies in as much detail as FTers.

My advice would be to take the offer, meet the flight requirements, and get PM until 2020. Worry about rollover and 2020-2021 status later.
DiverDave and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Ok I got my answer, you definitely need to get over 75k to get the rollover, everything under that is lost.
Still not a bad deal, as I will just lose 6k MQMs, except I have already spent $20k on the card for nothing (the return at 1%/1.2% is crap, and since I got an Amex Platinum I'm not even using the Delta card to book Delta flights).
Oh well, maybe if I had not used the card, I wouldn't have been targeted by the promotion, who knows. Frequent Flyers programs move in mysterious ways.
Anyway, that means I'm starting back from zero for 2020. Considering my travel plans for 2019, I doubt I'll reach PM by my own from scratch, so let's enjoy it while it lasts
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Originally Posted by gooselee
This. If you get PM via the offer, then you need to exceed 75k MQM in order to roll anything over. The system won't keep track of the fact that without the offer you'd have earned FO/GM, it'll just see that you're at PM and only retain MQM over the PM threshold.

The point would be to enjoy PM benefits while flying and/or to obtain the extra RDM. Most of DL's customers (and targets of promos like this) do not think about airline status strategies in as much detail as FTers.

My advice would be to take the offer, meet the flight requirements, and get PM until 2020. Worry about rollover and 2020-2021 status later.
This
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:12 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Blackfox
Still not a bad deal, as I will just lose 6k MQMs, except I have already spent $20k on the card for nothing (the return at 1%/1.2% is crap, and since I got an Amex Platinum I'm not even using the Delta card to book Delta flights).
Personally I attach a higher valuation to the miles, but it also depends on travel patterns and usage, so no argument in particular with the above. But the $20k is sunk cost, so at this point IMO the DL AMEX proposition in your situation is to spend another $5k on the card for 10k MQMs (which will effectively be discarded and valueless to you), but also 15k RDMs (the 5k for the spend plus 10k for the boost).

May not change your decision if you have a better place for your next $5k of spend, but just wanted to point this out.
gooselee and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Ok, sounds like a decent plan.
Thanks a lot guys!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.