Why is MSP<>MKE so Popular?

Old Oct 16, 18, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Why is MSP<>MKE so Popular?

Anyone know why MSP to MKE and back is so popular? There are 6 nonstops daily including one on a 752. The others are 739(2), 738, MD90, and a 717.
Old Oct 16, 18, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Probably lots of reasonable DL connections. Or maybe folks are traveling (in both directions) to enjoy some beer.
Old Oct 16, 18, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Delta inherited quite a bit of traffic from NW in MKE. NW even used to fly DC-10s regularly into MKE, not to mention many 757s. It wasn't even that many years ago that DL was flying 5 or 6 757s a day into MKE including 757-300s. I would venture to guess that they fly that much because they can fill the airplanes!
MSPeconomist and jerry305 like this.
Old Oct 16, 18, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by WidgetKid View Post
Delta inherited quite a bit of traffic from NW in MKE. NW even used to fly DC-10s regularly into MKE, not to mention many 757s. It wasn't even that many years ago that DL was flying 5 or 6 757s a day into MKE including 757-300s. I would venture to guess that they fly that much because they can fill the airplanes!
But why do they fill those planes, is the question. It doesn't make sense to me or anyone else I've discussed this with that has flown that route. I could see MKE folks needing to get somewhere and MSP being the most logical place to connect but the MSP-MKE flights are full too, on Mondays anyway (I've only flown on Mondays to MKE) including the 752 flight.
Old Oct 16, 18, 8:41 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There would be some point to point business and leisure travel, but if someone generally is based in MKE and needs to travel, the logical connections would be ORD using UA or AA (maybe STL too on AA if there's good MKE-STL and vv service on AA) or MSP/DTW on DL As mentioned above, some legacy PMNW customers would tend to stick with DL in addition to those who find DL convenient etc.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Oct 19, 18 at 1:41 pm Reason: typo
Old Oct 16, 18, 8:45 pm

Programs: Delta, United, AA, Jet Blue .... Whichever is Cheapest
If you live north of Waukegan, itís just as easy to get to MKE as ORD. Yes, I know that ORD has more direct flights.
Old Oct 16, 18, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by RRDD View Post
If you live north of Waukegan, itís just as easy to get to MKE as ORD. Yes, I know that ORD has more direct flights.
Even given all of the road construction around MKE which seems especially to affect the roads to the airport from the south?
Old Oct 16, 18, 9:03 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
MKE has one of the highest elite ratios in the system. It has a very nice Skyclub. As mentioned, NW was very strong in MKE, historically. That is due in part to NW strength and North Central Airlines strength. The now closed E concourse was built for NC when it was operating a hub there. The combined NW/RC loyalty has not faded much over the years.

i once was waiting to board a 753 to MSP and the agent announced that the seven non-eletes will have to wait until everyone else has boarded. He was jovial about it but he wasn’t kidding.
Old Oct 16, 18, 10:30 pm

Programs: Delta, United, AA, Jet Blue .... Whichever is Cheapest
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post

Even given all of the road construction around MKE which seems especially to affect the roads to the airport from the south?
Bad traffic in Milwaukee beats normal traffic in Chicago.
Old Oct 16, 18, 10:31 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by RRDD View Post
If you live north of Waukegan, it’s just as easy to get to MKE as ORD. Yes, I know that ORD has more direct flights.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post

Heck, even if you live south of Waukegan, it can still be easier to get to MKE, even with the construction. Parking is also a lot cheaper if you aren't taking a car service to the airport. I know many folks who will gladly drive the extra miles to MKE to avoid ORD, especially if they're going to be making a connection anyway.

If you go at rush hour, it can easily take an hour to get from the 94 spur to ORD (about 12 miles). It can take only a few more minutes to make it from there to MKE (~60 miles).
Old Oct 16, 18, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
I remember seeing billboards in Chicago routing MKE as the easier/logical/whatever choice over ORD.
Old Oct 17, 18, 12:05 am
Original Poster

None of the above "MKE being a better alternative to ORD" explains the full planes MSP-MKE though...especially on Mondays. ORD has one more direct flight daily and all but two are on MD90s, with a 717 and a CR7. I'm still just baffled by it.
Old Oct 17, 18, 12:23 am

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by yohanson View Post
I could see MKE folks needing to get somewhere and MSP being the most logical place to connect but the MSP-MKE flights are full too
Well, I presume 'MKE folks' also need to get home, not just depart.

Maybe it's just me, but it's pretty funny that you have purchased this route yourself, yet are completely flummoxed why anyone else would do the same thing?
Old Oct 17, 18, 3:19 am

Programs: DL FO, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
I would think being the two largest cities in bordering states with significant business / economical / cultural ties would be obvious enough why there MIGHT be a large amount of seats between the two said locations, but maybe not to everyone.

Never lived in CHI, but I always felt that the business ties were stronger from CHI to places like MCI, STL and IND as far as heartland markets go. Just because MKE is less than 90 miles away from CHI doesn't mean they have the same demand to the same places.
Old Oct 17, 18, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by yohanson View Post
None of the above "MKE being a better alternative to ORD" explains the full planes MSP-MKE though...especially on Mondays. ORD has one more direct flight daily and all but two are on MD90s, with a 717 and a CR7. I'm still just baffled by it.
Why are you baffled? Southwest is by far the biggest carrier at MKE but only has 38 flights to just 21 destinations. Many passengers from MKE are going to need to connect somewhere. Delta has 439 peak day departures to 129 destinations from MSP. ORD has long sucked hard. Example: MSP ranks 3rd among the 30 biggest U.S. airports for on-time arrivals. ORD ranks 20th.

https://www.swamedia.com/pages/city-fact-sheets

https://news.delta.com/minneapolis-s...tional-airport

Last edited by 3Cforme; Oct 17, 18 at 6:35 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: