Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is MSP<>MKE so Popular?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by yohanson
So why do so many Minnesotans fly to Milwaukee for business?

MSP is a hub, all those pax are not from MN, they are connecting at MSP because MKE is not a hub and they can't get a nonstop DL flight there.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:38 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Why is this thread so politically charged that you think it should be deleted?
It's not politically charged, it's just making us all dumber for having participated in it.
Zorak and jinglish like this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:30 am

I still haven’t gotten a good answer to why there is so much traffic between the two cities with large aircraft.
Actually, you did. You just ignored it.

Originally Posted by TommyD2
Quick google shows 9 or 10 F500 companies in MKE. And 19 in MSP.

For me and some co-workers, our HQ is in MSP but we live in Wisconsin. Have some other friends who fly back and forth often due to customers in MSP.
If you're not getting what you consider to be appropriate answers to your question, perhaps you need to look outside of FT. As to why flights into Milwaukee are full at the start of the business week, maybe check out the Metropolitan Milwaukee Association of Commerce website.

https://www.mmac.org/

There, you can find a list of major employers and perhaps learn about why businesses choose Milwaukee as a home. They appear to have all sorts of documents, reports, and charts about why the city is prosperous.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:40 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card

MEM was a major hub recently.

What difference does that make??? (it wasn't a "major" hub fwiw, but again, it's totally irrelevant. It's all O/D traffic.)

MKE was never a NW or DL hub. Why is this thread so politically charged that you think it should be deleted?
I don't think it should be deleted because it's "politically charged". I think it should be deleted because it's a really dumb thread with no value to anyone.
CPMaverick and Zorak like this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Good answer! Why so many paying customers?
It's not just a matter of why so many paying customers (almost any airline can get lots and lots of customers on almost any route if they offer a $1 fare with no fuel surcharges) but how many customers there are at fares that DL considers to be profitable.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: DL 2 MM
10 (or whatever) years ago DL and NW flew out of MKE. Plus it was a hub for YX (Midwest).

NW flew to 8 or 9 cities (it changed a lot); DL to a handful of hubs. They merged so NW flyers became DL flyers.

YX was great and flew to 20+ cities (30?). YX went away and I would guess the majority of those flyers went to DL/NW. (In fact, when YX was going away they offered to transfer your YX miles to NW (I think it was NW at the time, maybe DL, too lazy to google).
Old Oct 20, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pvn
I think it should be deleted because it's a really dumb thread with no value to anyone.
I am likely to agree here. It can be summarized as why does anyone do anything.

Maybe it would be intelligent discussion if there were some statistics indicating MSP to MKE had some extraordinarly higher ratio of flights/passenger travel compared to other non hub cities that you can travel to from MSP. But I imagine with all the flights leaving MSP to non hubs you could probably find data similar to MKE for another city.

In addition there are flights all day long from other hubs to MKE (ATL and DTW) that are always chalk full of people also.

Milwaukee is 5th largest city in the Midwest and 31st largest city in the US (per Wikipedia). People go to MKE, how is this a valuable thread? Why do people go anywhere?

Also many have given common sense answers that OP has ignored or rejected.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by TommyD2
10 (or whatever) years ago DL and NW flew out of MKE. Plus it was a hub for YX (Midwest).

NW flew to 8 or 9 cities (it changed a lot); DL to a handful of hubs. They merged so NW flyers became DL flyers.

YX was great and flew to 20+ cities (30?). YX went away and I would guess the majority of those flyers went to DL/NW. (In fact, when YX was going away they offered to transfer your YX miles to NW (I think it was NW at the time, maybe DL, too lazy to google).
I believe NW had a minority ownership of YX due to a partnership with an investment group TPG.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by james318
I believe NW had a minority ownership of YX due to a partnership with an investment group TPG.

It did, but that was a pretty brief period: January '08 until Republic bought Midwest Airlines from TPG in 2009.

https://crankyflier.com/2012/06/07/t...ssed-to-delta/
Old Oct 20, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro, Marriott Lifetime PLT
I commuted DC-MKE on DL for months a variety of ways (ATL, MSP, DTW). Upgrades were tough even as a Diamond. Was not at all uncommon to see a full 757 or 739 on a Thursday afternoon.
That SC was wonderful though. They had a make your own nacho bar for along time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.