Search

Why is MSP<>MKE so Popular?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:30 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by yohanson
So why do so many Minnesotans fly to Milwaukee for business?
how do you know they're all minnesotans?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
So why do so many Minnesotans fly to Milwaukee for business?
You realize DL has a hub in MSP, right? And that it is the most logical connecting point on DL for most everything west of the Mississippi into MKE.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
You realize DL has a hub in MSP, right? And that it is the most logical connecting point on DL for most everything west of the Mississippi into MKE.
And only Southwest operates seasonal flights to a big (SEA does not count) west coast business destination. DL has opportunities here!
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I still haven’t gotten a good answer to why there is so much traffic between the two cities with large aircraft.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Not really here nor there, but it makes me wonder what's got more lift, MSP-MKE or DTW-MKE...

My sister-in-law lives in MKE so we go probably once or twice a year. There's 1 or 2 BOS-MKE nonstops depending on the time of the year, but if its not convenient we'll often connect through DTW. I have flown BOS-MSP-MKE due to irrops before.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL GM
I still haven’t gotten a good answer to why there is so much traffic between the two cities with large aircraft.
How about a tautological answer?

DL flies lots of big planes between MKE and MSP because DL can fill lots of big planes with paying customers on that route. If they couldn't, then they would put those planes on different routes or park the planes in the desert.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by yaychemistry
How about a tautological answer?

DL flies lots of big planes between MKE and MSP because DL can fill lots of big planes with paying customers on that route. If they couldn't, then they would put those planes on different routes or park the planes in the desert.
Good answer! Why so many paying customers?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

It’s interesting that there are 3 retirement aged couples on my flight today in F with me. I assume they are MKE area residents on leisure travel.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:46 pm
pvn
Suspended

6x/day to MSP is... not that much.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pvn
6x/day to MSP is... not that much.
Capacity wise, it’s about the same as ORD, perhaps more. I haven’t done the math but ORD has one more flight but most aircraft are MD90s or CR7s.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 3:19 pm
pvn
Suspended

MEM is roughly the same size as MKE, MEM-ATL is roughly the same distance as MKE-MSP, and there are 11x/day MEM-ATL, all mainline, and they're currently being upgauged from MD88s to 739s.

6x/day narrowbody is not some insane amount of capacity for an airport with the amount of traffic that MKE has. This thread should be deleted.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL, UA

Capacity wise, it’s about the same as ORD, perhaps more. I haven’t done the math but ORD has one more flight but most aircraft are MD90s or CR7s.
True, but ORD has 3 SEAs and 4 SLCs whereas MKE only has 1 of each. More westbound traffic will be routed on those out of ORD whereas more will go through MSP out of MKE.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pvn
MEM is roughly the same size as MKE, MEM-ATL is roughly the same distance as MKE-MSP, and there are 11x/day MEM-ATL, all mainline, and they're currently being upgauged from MD88s to 739s.

6x/day narrowbody is not some insane amount of capacity for an airport with the amount of traffic that MKE has. This thread should be deleted.
MEM was a major hub recently. MKE was never a NW or DL hub. Why is this thread so politically charged that you think it should be deleted?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:26 pm

I rember some of the people I knew from the University of Wisconsin saying that it was cheaper to take some kind of shuttle to Milwaukee and fly out then to fly from Madison. The prices in MKE were half or more than half of what tickets at MSN were. This was over a decade ago so I'm not sure if it is still true. If so it probably is collecting a good chuck of the state.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by ROCAT
I rember some of the people I knew from the University of Wisconsin saying that it was cheaper to take some kind of shuttle to Milwaukee and fly out then to fly from Madison. The prices in MKE were half or more than half of what tickets at MSN were. This was over a decade ago so I'm not sure if it is still true. If so it probably is collecting a good chuck of the state.
MSN-MSP/DTW/ATL is a tougher upgrade than MKE-MSP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.