Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NRPS domestic F upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
And also on personal trips, and also their immediate family, as others have noted.

There is a common misconception on FT that all DL employees fly standby and are only given seats in F if there are no other upgrades. This is the way the travel benefit works for rank and file employees, but not for executives. I am not sure at what level of the organization employees are granted better travel benefits.
From what I've been told, it's the same level at which you are given access to better parking spaces at DL HQ...not fully assigned/individually reserved spaces, just better ones. And of course, if your job is critical or skills unique enough, you can theoretically negotiate for these things at any level (within reason)..
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL PM; MR Titanium & LTT; Hilton Diamond; National Exec Elite
Could also have been execs or other high level employees from a DL corporate customer (or perhaps a DL contractor). I know for a fact that the CFO and travel manager at my company recently flew from SEA (where they are based) to ATL to re-negotiate our corporate contract. DL took care of their travel expenses and yes, booked them in F. Not sure what was on their tickets but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was NRPS (I know they didn’t earn miles) yet they were booked directly into F.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM
Originally Posted by pvn
you were being nosey zone police. it's not like this is your first post with a bunch of handwringing about people boarding out of their zone
There's nothing being nosey when the person keeps backing up into my personal space to the point I have to push her away.
Why else do you think I could see the small print on her damn boarding pass? I suppose in your wold you automatically assume people stretch their necks out to see everyone's boarding passes.
What is wrong with you?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: Delta Plat
You had to push her? Isn't that considered assault?

I avoid trying to figure out why people are huddled around the GA, I avoid trying to hear what other people are demanding. Lifes too short to stress over NRPS on someone else's boarding pass regardless if they are being obnoxious or not.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
You had to push her? Isn't that considered assault?

I avoid trying to figure out why people are huddled around the GA, I avoid trying to hear what other people are demanding. Lifes too short to stress over NRPS on someone else's boarding pass regardless if they are being obnoxious or not.
Pushing might have been too harsh of a word.
I was leaning against the wall and she and her companion walked up and stood in front of me. Oblivious as she was she kept backing up and I had nowhere to go. At one point she even stepped on my foot. Eventually I turned a bit and stuck out my elbow that she backed into. You think that would have made her realize what she was doing? Nope.
Anyways, I didn't think this all had anything to do with my original question but I guess I had to explain myself to some.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
If Bill Gates and Warren Buffett can slum it in coach then so can a nobody Delta employee. If they want F they should pay for it or they can standby if there happen to be any seats left. Why take seats out of inventory that can be sold?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:09 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
If Bill Gates and Warren Buffett can slum it in coach then so can a nobody Delta employee. If they want F they should pay for it or they can standby if there happen to be any seats left. Why take seats out of inventory that can be sold?
A) you don't know they're employees

B) if they are this may be part of their negotiated compensation

C) you realize the "a nobody delta employee can sit in Y" argument works just as well for "a nobody DYKWIA passenger," right?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pvn
A) you don't know they're employees

B) if they are this may be part of their negotiated compensation

C) you realize the "a nobody delta employee can sit in Y" argument works just as well for "a nobody DYKWIA passenger," right?
Yes I realize that. No one should expect something they didn't pay for. I pay for F seats. Usually a GAP fare but paid nonetheless. If it's a pilot or a flight attendant that needs to report to work immediately then I can understand it. But Joe from accounting? No.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:52 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Why is Joe from accounting getting an F seat any different than any other business traveller getting one that his employer pays for?
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, I'm struggling to understand that one too.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Sigh.
SuperG1955 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Why take seats out of inventory that can be sold?

Those seats are being "sold." Delta is choosing to "pay" for those seats for their own employees. Also, when it's for business travel, it's very possible that various internal business groups have an actual budget that is used to purchase those tickets for some discounted rate, and that funds get moved from one budget line to another.

Recruiting top talent and retaining that talent is critical for the bottom line of any business, especially at the executive level. Benefits in addition to cash compensation, especially benefits that entitle the executive to free or discounted access to a company's product, are a commonplace part of compensation.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Those seats are being "sold." Delta is choosing to "pay" for those seats for their own employees. Also, when it's for business travel, it's very possible that various internal business groups have an actual budget that is used to purchase those tickets for some discounted rate, and that funds get moved from one budget line to another.

Recruiting top talent and retaining that talent is critical for the bottom line of any business, especially at the executive level. Benefits in addition to cash compensation, especially benefits that entitle the executive to free or discounted access to a company's product, are a commonplace part of compensation.
Yeah I suppose it is different now. And I'm not saying it's the way things should or shouldn't be done. But as bad as Leo Mullin was he had a rule of never bumping a passenger or other Delta employee from a flight that he was looking to get on.

The company I work for will pay for your spouse to accompany you on a trip but you will both be booked in Y. And I think that's very generous. Fortunately I very rarely have to travel for work.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Yeah I suppose it is different now. And I'm not saying it's the way things should or shouldn't be done. But as bad as Leo Mullin was he had a rule of never bumping a passenger or other Delta employee from a flight that he was looking to get on.

Who is being bumped? NRPS means non-revenue space positive. That's a confirmed reservation, not a standby pax. DL employees who fly standby do not bump other pax.

The company I work for will pay for your spouse to accompany you on a trip but you will both be booked in Y. And I think that's very generous. Fortunately I very rarely have to travel for work.
Sure, but the company that we're talking about is an airline, and that airline also happens to have a lot of first class and D1 seats that go out unsold either empty or with free upgrades everyday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.