Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Skymiles account hacked, points drained

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles account hacked, points drained

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Originally Posted by LBJ
There are many ways accounts can be compromised without any fault due to Delta. There's no point in speculating without knowing the details.
Sure. And I thing DL does an OK job.

But might I mention how many times I've called up the Elite line, to find that I've been authenticated as someone else? Wide gaping security hole.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Originally Posted by pvn
It's certainly possible that the password manager is compromised but the likelihood my particular info is breached is small (I use keePassX which is offline and open source). For someone to get my passwords they'd have to both get access to my physical devices and be able to decrypt the database.

That's EXTREMELY unlikely unless I'm targeted by state-level organizations, which is definitely not the threat model I'm worried about (if it comes to that, I've already got a lot more things to worry about).
256-bit keys? I wouldn't be so confident :P
Old Oct 27, 2018, 6:55 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by kthomas
256-bit keys? I wouldn't be so confident :P
I'm not very worried about my password file being swiped. Physical access is like the least efficient compromise method and is pretty much only used by highly-funded agents who are targeting a specific individual for a specific purpose.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RealHJ
+1

A password manager is for lazy people and anyone with even a little bit of security consciousness would stay away from those like the plague. That is like giving all your personal details away to some random stranger (almost). Unfathomable why people actually use those things (or allow browsers to store passwords, etc.). Just use your head; it's not that hard.
this is the dumbest thing I’ve read on the whole of the Internet in a long time. You clearly have no clue what your talking about and no one should take your advice.
cliburn, kthomas, kenn0223 and 4 others like this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
It’s refreshing to see a forum thread on the internet not deviate and become pedantic.
kthomas likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:28 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by pvn
I'm not very worried about my password file being swiped. Physical access is like the least efficient compromise method and is pretty much only used by highly-funded agents who are targeting a specific individual for a specific purpose.
Physically stored indeed, that is a good way to go.

What is just plain careless (to say the least) is saving it in browser or even worse having it stored externally with no control where it is, how it is secured, etc. at some place like Google. That is just like asking to be compromised, and anyone advocating that either has an ulterior motive or otherwise is just spreading ignorance and misinforming others.

US, as always, is backwards from rest of the world. In other countries one can use a smart card reader and one's gov't issued smart ID card to, among other things, authenticate access both via physical media (smart card) and password and optionally additional 2FA, and use that either for direct access where supported (like to vote, for example) and for various online site access. Not foolproof, but a smart card can't be duplicated like a magnetic stripe, so unless the smart card is stolen and login credentials and 2FA both obtained by a third party (3 things have to happen then), it's a pretty safe - and easy, ubiquitous - way to do secure online access, from filing taxes, through voting, and through to various site access.

But anyhow, this is too much OT here..
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Hey there, just wanted to give a quick warning: my account was hacked earlier this week for approx 130,000 miles. I noticed it when I was just log in and my mileage total was way off. Skymiles marketplace people were very helpful and said all will be restored, but couldn't hurt to check your accounts. I, of course, changed my password immediately. Not sure if that will help or not, but i did anyway.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:51 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ryno1234
Hey there, just wanted to give a quick warning: my account was hacked earlier this week for approx 130,000 miles. I noticed it when I was just log in and my mileage total was way off. Skymiles marketplace people were very helpful and said all will be restored, but couldn't hurt to check your accounts. I, of course, changed my password immediately. Not sure if that will help or not, but i did anyway.
Several possibilities: (1)your PC, ipad, iPhone was hacked--working on a non-secure connection(?), (2)"through the back door" www.delta.com was hacked.
[A while back BAs database was hacked...]
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nrr
Several possibilities: (1)your PC, ipad, iPhone was hacked--working on a non-secure connection(?), (2)"through the back door" www.delta.com was hacked.
Highly unlikely this was the result of a hack of DL systems. Much more likely due to a device OP has used or is currently using has been compromised. People should really take these cases more seriously rather than simply assuming a password change will solve the problem. If a device you are currently using has been compromised, that's not going to address the underlying issue.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:22 pm

Physically stored indeed, that is a good way to go.

What is just plain careless (to say the least) is saving it in browser or even worse having it stored externally with no control where it is, how it is secured, etc. at some place like Google. That is just like asking to be compromised, and anyone advocating that either has an ulterior motive or otherwise is just spreading ignorance and misinforming others.

US, as always, is backwards from rest of the world. In other countries one can use a smart card reader and one's gov't issued smart ID card to, among other things, authenticate access both via physical media (smart card) and password and optionally additional 2FA, and use that either for direct access where supported (like to vote, for example) and for various online site access. Not foolproof, but a smart card can't be duplicated like a magnetic stripe, so unless the smart card is stolen and login credentials and 2FA both obtained by a third party (3 things have to happen then), it's a pretty safe - and easy, ubiquitous - way to do secure online access, from filing taxes, through voting, and through to various site access.

But anyhow, this is too much OT here..
You really don't know what you're talking about. But thanks for confirming that by posting.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:28 am

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by LBJ
Highly unlikely this was the result of a hack of DL systems. Much more likely due to a device OP has used or is currently using has been compromised. People should really take these cases more seriously rather than simply assuming a password change will solve the problem. If a device you are currently using has been compromised, that's not going to address the underlying issue.
OK looking for some advice here. What can I do other than change my password? it appears no other account that i use the same devices for have been compromised.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:27 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott, IHG
Not foolproof, but a smart card can't be duplicated like a magnetic stripe, so unless the smart card is stolen and login credentials and 2FA both obtained by a third party (3 things have to happen then), it's a pretty safe - and easy, ubiquitous - way to do secure online access,..
Defeating smartcards is not particularly difficult. The most common method is malware on the device that watches for smart card usage and initiates connections when the card is unlocked. Given the number of zero-click exploits and the number of unpatched devices, this is not difficult to execute.

An externally generated OTP is arguably more secure because the malicious actor can only compromise the same site you authenticated with (albeit in a narrow time window). When you use a smart card, they can compromise any site that accepts your smart card as an authentication mechanism.

And, FWIW, the US government does use smart cards internally. There is no national ID card in the US, so there is no simple process to issue smart cards. Under the current infrastructure it would need to be implemented by the states. Perhaps they may offer smart cards with login.gov, but I would rather have a OTP mechanism rather than a smart card.
caburrito likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:30 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by nrr
3) the password was compromised by some other method (likely through reuse of a password used on a site that was hacked)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.