Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Skymiles account hacked, points drained

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles account hacked, points drained

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Renes Points
You do understand the same IT folks who protect DL SkyMiles are the folks who run the SkyMiles booking page? I am not shocked at all. #LowestCostSubContractors
You do understand that I never said I was shocked?

Gotta get that uncalled-for snark out of your system, I guess.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:52 am

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kop84
I always wonder when people have to sign into websites, especially less reputable ones, if the passwords are ever sold or used elsewhere as MANY people use the same email/password combo for everything from ESPN.com, Facebook, Twitter, Online Banking, Delta.com, Flyertalk, etc.
You are right about that. However, Delta should not be storing passwords! They should be storing hashes (at least MDA, but preferrably SHA-512) of the passwords. That way, once the password is entered, it is hashed and compared with the stored hash. Of course, MD5 can be cracked in hours using a powerful enough cluster.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spamkiller
You are right about that. However, Delta should not be storing passwords! They should be storing hashes (at least MDA, but preferrably SHA-512) of the passwords. That way, once the password is entered, it is hashed and compared with the stored hash. Of course, MD5 can be cracked in hours using a powerful enough cluster.
Who said anything about DL not storing passwords in a hashed form? The point was that by sharing passwords across multiple accounts, it only takes one website to store passwords in the clear or with a weak hash to potentially have your password compromised which then allows the attacker to gain access to any site where you use that password (no matter how securely it is stored on that site).
kop84 and jinglish like this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by spamkiller
Originally Posted by LBJ
Who said anything about DL not storing passwords in a hashed form? The point was that by sharing passwords across multiple accounts, it only takes one website to store passwords in the clear or with a weak hash to potentially have your password compromised which then allows the attacker to gain access to any site where you use that password (no matter how securely it is stored on that site).
LBJ clarified my point. And I think I saw somewhere that the most common passwords are literally 12345, and password. We live in a world where everyone SHOULD be hyper aware of their online info but only a very small percentage actually are. And it only takes one leak from a site, and so many things can be compromised.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by LBJ
It does not even take some site to not secure the password. Many thefts are via faux websites, fishing, etc.

How many glance at the URL bar of their browser before entering an important password to insure they are on the correct site with a secure connection? My guess is very few.

I have to admit I treat dl.com as a mid-level securoty issue. Not the same as a bank/broker account. But I don;t have as many miles as some of you lucky guys :-)
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Why folks want to slam Delta (or any company) without knowing what really happened.
It seems to be popular behavior, these days.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Skystreak
I got hacked while I slept. They put the miles back before I woke up.

Happy that you got your miles back quickly. When I saw your post, I went to log in to see if mine was back. Well, my account is now "suspended due to a security risk." Sigh. I'm on the phone, waiting my turn in line to see what the Hell is going on.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Boy, what a miserable thing to have happen. You seem to be taking it pretty well, though. I don't know if I could compose such calm, sane messages under the circumstances!
Let's say this isn't the biggest thing on my plate right now. Trying to get a new job is #1 for this old woman... I had bought my tickets for my trip about a week before I was hacked. If I hadn't done that and had no points left, then I would have been really upset. I have not heard any kind of reply, even a "we received your email." Then, no Now, I'd really like them to say "sorry for this, we're going to give you that round-trip to Italy on us for the "pain and suffering" this has caused." I'm also waiting to see the flying pig... ;-)

QUICK UPDATE: I called the number referenced to talk about my lockout. I was told that they must investigate, and WHEN CONVINCED IT WAS FRAUD, they would contact me about restoring the account. Then, they said it could take up to 3-4 weeks!!!! Why am I taking that long when others were done overnight??? Now, I am getting pissed off...

Last edited by slidergirl; Oct 12, 2018 at 11:27 am
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For the previous poster, it appears the activity was automatically detected (rather than any action by poster) and reversed. More than likely, no actual goods or services were provided. I imagine it gets trickier if it wasn't auto-detected and actual goods/services were provided in exchange for the miles.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
LBJ clarified my point. And I think I saw somewhere that the most common passwords are literally 12345, and password. We live in a world where everyone SHOULD be hyper aware of their online info but only a very small percentage actually are. And it only takes one leak from a site, and so many things can be compromised.
I outsmart all the hackers. My password is "54321password"!
kop84 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by gooselee
I outsmart all the hackers. My password is "54321password"!
Hey! Mine too! Talk about your mother of all coincidences!

I better play the lottery ASAP. My numbers are:
12 34 56 78 90 / 12
gooselee likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:53 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Somebody has to be a complete idiot or super naive to use the same credentials they use on facebook, twiiter, flyertalk etc as they do for online banking. And if one has any decent amount of miles, same with dl.com.

Get yourself a throwaway username/password for all the sites you think do not need an actual signon. And for me that includes this site.
Or, better yet, use a password manager so you can have unique credentials for every website. Two-factor authentication where available certainly doesn't hurt either.
CKDGM likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Inthink I saw somewhere that the most common passwords are literally 12345
That’s the exact same combination I have on my luggage and also happens to be the combination to the airshield on Planet Druidia!
kop84 and aquamarinesteph like this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by exwannabe
I have to admit I treat dl.com as a mid-level securoty issue. Not the same as a bank/broker account. But I don;t have as many miles as some of you lucky guys :-)
I treat Delta.com as a high-level security issue. Not only do they have payment information, I also rely on Delta for business travel. A compromise of my login credential has the potential to severely disrupt my life. I haven't checked recently, but it would be outstanding if Delta used time-based second factor authentication codes without SMS codes (which is horribly insecure).
jinglish likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:36 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Yes, it would be really nice if DL implemented U2F or some other time-based OTP schemes, but I don't think we'll see it anytime soon.

I don't really know how much of a disruption a compromise would be. If my individual login is hacked, I don't think the attacker would be able to recover the details of my stored payment methods. I'd probably order new cards but I can have those in 24 hours and I never register all of my cards at any one site. Worst case is they drain my skymiles and maybe buy some tickets, both of which should be extremely easy to reverse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.