Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

MSP-BIO 3/17/19-3/27/19 - DL rate 2X KLM rate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!

A return flight MSP-BIO (Bilbao, Spain) is nearly twice as expensive on delta.com as klm.com. The flight shows on the KLM site as operated by Delta for the MSP-AMS leg, and then KLM for the AMS-BIL leg, and similarly for the return. There are flight numbers for both DL and KLM for each individual leg.

I read elsewhere on FT one could get Delta's premium line to book, while getting the lower KLM rate, when the flight was code-shared as this one is. I just tried it. The operator, while being very nice, said it just wasn't something she could do.

I'd really rather book through DL's site. Many years of experience with it, and less chance of missing something or making an error. Seat choice, miles, fare class, etc., etc..

Did I miss something in communicating with the Delta premium line operator? Or is there another way to book via delta.com?

Thanks for any advice or consultation!
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL DM
What fares are you seeing?

I show Delta at $1349.63.
KLM is pricing at $555.70, which may well be a mistake fare. I would book quickly.

Last edited by Mr. Tickets; Oct 8, 2018 at 3:17 pm Reason: typos
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Romelle
A return flight MSP-BIO (Bilbao, Spain) is nearly twice as expensive on delta.com as klm.com. The flight shows on the KLM site as operated by Delta for the MSP-AMS leg, and then KLM for the AMS-BIL leg, and similarly for the return. There are flight numbers for both DL and KLM for each individual leg.

I read elsewhere on FT one could get Delta's premium line to book, while getting the lower KLM rate, when the flight was code-shared as this one is. I just tried it. The operator, while being very nice, said it just wasn't something she could do.

I'd really rather book through DL's site. Many years of experience with it, and less chance of missing something or making an error. Seat choice, miles, fare class, etc., etc..

Did I miss something in communicating with the Delta premium line operator? Or is there another way to book via delta.com?

Thanks for any advice or consultation!
Just book on klm.com. Delta handles all KLM tickets for all AF/KL passengers in US. You'll also likely earn more MQD/miles since KL will sell the KL coded version of the flight. As for seat assignments you can pick seats on delta.com for both DL/KL flights in reservation. They got seat maps working correctly nearly a year ago. You can go into delta.com and KLM.com to verify though.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Given the DL TATL and KLM to/from AMS/BIO criteria, I'm assuming OP's desired flights are:

KL6064 (Mar 17), KL1687 (Mar 18)
KL1684 (Mar 27), KL6065 (Mar 27)

When I search these dates, I am seeing a total fare of $555.70 on KLM.com for this. Interestingly enough, when I plug in these exact flights into ITA Matrix, I'm getting as much as Delta is showing. Additionally, if I use the ITA Matrix Power Script that everyone uses to try to book the exact itinerary (using KL flight numbers) on Delta.com, I get the higher price there as well. I was able to get to the payment screen on KLM with this fare at the $555 amount by searching for this fare manually there. (The fare was coming up at the most expensive price on ITA Matrix for KLM.) I've gotten to that point with other fares before, and once on the payment screen I got the "the price has changed" BS message; however, I didn't get that. So it appears to be a valid, bookable fare on KLM. Perhaps this is a fare that they have on sale at the moment?

Whatever the case, OP, if you want this price, you should book it now, or utilize the 24-hour option that KLM offers for a small fee if you're not ready to commit quite yet.

Last edited by eastindywalrus; Oct 8, 2018 at 2:59 pm
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

I took the good advice here, and bought the ticket! Thank you all!!

One silly question - I couldn't find on the KLM site where to log off or sign out. When I got tired of looking, I just closed the browser. I could see in another open window that I had received email flight confirmation.
eastindywalrus likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:23 pm

I took the good advice here, and bought the ticket! Thank you all!!

One silly question - I couldn't find on the KLM site where to log off or sign out. When I got tired of looking, I just closed the browser. I could see in another open window that I had received email flight confirmation.
KLM's website has been really, really wonky lately. If I'm remembering correctly, you should have a log off option when you click your name near the top-right of the main KLM.com page. Your name is supposed to display there when you're logged in. Problem is, it is only displaying 10% of the time for me. Likewise, the "Log In" link there only rarely displays. I have to click the Flying Blue link and log in there. Totally screwy. If I need to get in right away for something, I just log in on AirFrance.com instead.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eastindywalrus
KLM's website has been really, really wonky lately. If I'm remembering correctly, you should have a log off option when you click your name near the top-right of the main KLM.com page. Your name is supposed to display there when you're logged in. Problem is, it is only displaying 10% of the time for me. Likewise, the "Log In" link there only rarely displays. I have to click the Flying Blue link and log in there. Totally screwy. If I need to get in right away for something, I just log in on AirFrance.com instead.
Well, at least I didn't miss anything obvious. My name wasn't displayed, so I guess it wasn't anyplace handy. I clicked everything on the home page, and even wandered through the site map before I gave up. Former techie here, so I sometimes take things like that as a challenge.

Thanks again.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:57 pm

Well, at least I didn't miss anything obvious. My name wasn't displayed, so I guess it wasn't anyplace handy. I clicked everything on the home page, and even wandered through the site map before I gave up. Former techie here, so I sometimes take things like that as a challenge.

Thanks again.
You're welcome.

Your name should have been displayed at the point of the crudely drawn red arrow in the attached image. Why it keeps disappearing is anyone's guess. You're right to be thoroughly perplexed here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.