Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Michael’s Potential Impact on ATL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hurricane Michael’s Potential Impact on ATL

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Unless things change, I don't see a weather waiver coming for Atlanta today. The storm has veered further south and the probabilities for tropical storm wind speeds have dropped to about 30-40% for Atlanta.

Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
Delta has an advisory for cities in the panhandle, travel days 10/9- 10/10

Southwest has a much more extensive advisory fit Atlanta starting today through Friday. (And honestly I have no idea why today is included. I’m in Atlanta and I don’t think the storm is having much impact
I have a PNS-CLT-PNS trip this week that got burned by AA's advisory.

Tropical storm force winds are supposed to arrive mid-afternoon today (10/9), and AA's advisory doesn't begin until 10/10.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by aww3583
I have a PNS-CLT-PNS trip this week that got burned by AA's advisory.

Tropical storm force winds are supposed to arrive mid-afternoon today (10/9), and AA's advisory doesn't begin until 10/10.
Agree that AA probably should have extended to today, but I expect the airport to function in some capacity through today should airlines want to fly. At least one runway will be able to function even in tropical storm winds given that the crosswind component will be far less than 28 mph for at least one of the runways.

Has AA already begun cancelling flights for this afternoon? If they haven't cancelled yet they probably aren't planning to cancel.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
ATL will likely see some impact, but I doubt there will be a wholesale cancelling of flights for days. I expect some GDPs as winds increase and AAR drops to accommodate increased spacing/vectoring for arrivals.

According to the NHC, ATL isn't forecast to see tropical speed winds until Wednesday evening (below). It wouldn't surprise me if they cancel RONs Wednesday night to keep them out of harms way. By morning Thursday, things should start returning to normal at ATL.

Standard disclaimer: the weather can and does change from what's forecast.

Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by HDQDD
ATL will likely see some impact, but I doubt there will be a wholesale cancelling of flights for days. I expect some GDPs as winds increase and AAR drops to accommodate increased spacing/vectoring for arrivals.

According to the NHC, ATL isn't forecast to see tropical speed winds until Wednesday evening (below). It wouldn't surprise me if they cancel RONs Wednesday night to keep them out of harms way. By morning Thursday, things should start returning to normal at ATL.

Standard disclaimer: the weather can and does change from what's forecast.

That chart is misleading. It is the earliest reasonable arrival time of tropical storm winds - which means that even there is only a 5-10% chance of the winds arriving it is included on the chart. Right now there is a greater than 50% probability of Atlanta not seeing tropical storm winds at all. Even if Atlanta does see tropical force winds, it will be primarily east-west winds which work will with the runway configuration at ATL.

If the storm track forecast holds, I would expect no major interruption at ATL other than some minor issues with ATC routing.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by ethernal
That chart is misleading. It is the earliest reasonable arrival time of tropical storm winds -
Actually this is the chart for "earliest" arrival of winds. The one I posted was "most likely". I don't really see anything misleading about either. It's simply a forecast.

Old Oct 9, 2018, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by HDQDD
Actually this is the chart for "earliest" arrival of winds. The one I posted was "most likely". I don't really see anything misleading about either. It's simply a forecast.

It's misleading because at first pass it seems like a prediction of when to expect tropical storm winds without considering the probability of even getting tropical storm winds. The reality is that the probability of tropical storm force winds hitting Atlanta at all at this point are less than 50% probability. The chart is better read as "IF tropical storms winds are to arrive at all, this is when they are likely to arrive". This view below overlays the probability of actually seeing tropical force winds, and as you can see, Atlanta is in the 30-40% band - meaning that it is not that likely that Atlanta will even see tropical storm force winds at all.

Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
It's misleading because at first pass it seems like a prediction of when to expect tropical storm winds without considering the probability of even getting tropical storm winds. The reality is that the probability of tropical storm force winds hitting Atlanta at all at this point are less than 50% probability. The chart is better read as "IF tropical storms winds are to arrive at all, this is when they are likely to arrive". This view below overlays the probability of actually seeing tropical force winds, and as you can see, Atlanta is in the 30-40% band - meaning that it is not that likely that Atlanta will even see tropical storm force winds at all.

*Bolding partially mine

I think this is exactly how this product is intended to be read. The 30-40% chance is representative of track and intensity error. It's also why you almost never see a 100%.

However, the NHC gives this warning for the percentages:
It is important for users to realize that probabilities that may seem relatively small (e.g., 5-10%) may still be quite significant. Users are urged to consider the potentially large costs (in terms of lives, property, etc.) of not preparing for an extreme event.
In this case, even though there is only a 33% chance for Atlanta to see sustained tropical storm force winds, the wind gusts and rain could still cause some issues at ATL. And a shift in the track could bring TS force winds to ATL, but right now, it doesn't look too likely.
indufan likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerWx
*Bolding partially mine

I think this is exactly how this product is intended to be read. The 30-40% chance is representative of track and intensity error. It's also why you almost never see a 100%.

However, the NHC gives this warning for the percentages:

In this case, even though there is only a 33% chance for Atlanta to see sustained tropical storm force winds, the wind gusts and rain could still cause some issues at ATL. And a shift in the track could bring TS force winds to ATL, but right now, it doesn't look too likely.
That is one IMPRESSIVE storm!
Old Oct 9, 2018, 2:48 pm

It's misleading because at first pass it seems like a prediction of when to expect tropical storm winds without considering the probability of even getting tropical storm winds. The reality is that the probability of tropical storm force winds hitting Atlanta at all at this point are less than 50% probability. The chart is better read as "IF tropical storms winds are to arrive at all, this is when they are likely to arrive".
Yes, we all get that. You're the only one who says it's "misleading". It's simply a forecast. One of many (or a combination of many). Fact of the matter is, even if ATL doesn't ever get tropical storm force winds at the airport, there will be significant effects in ZTL (the center that ATL is in) should they run a full schedule.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
FWIW, the waiver is now up, and does NOT include ATL.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
I am actually a bit surprised that ATL isn't included. It doesn't take much to get some serious delays out of ATL, then the chain reaction starts.

Let's hope it stays south...
Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Curious how DL110 EZE-ATL will fair tomorrow.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Curious how DL110 EZE-ATL will fair tomorrow.
I project perfectly on time.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by indufan
I project perfectly on time.
Right through a hurricane? The routing to get to ATL, not ATL itself is my concern

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.