Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

I suspect the Scales at T2 JFK are in Need of Calibration

Old Oct 7, 18, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta FO (I use to be More)

I haven't emailed Delta to complain because there is nothing to complain about I didn't pay the fee. But I believe the scales at least on the SKY Priority side need to be calibrated or something. Well, I didn't check all of the scales just the one that I was at.

I weighed my suitcase at home, it was 49 pounds. I weighed it because I knew It was heavier than normal. Wife asked me to buy a bunch of summer clearance clothing from forever 21, express and victorias secret. While summers over in the states summers all year round where I live

I get to the airport its 52 pounds. Now I know I personally stopped and ate a mcgriddle from McDonalds on the way to the airport. But I swear my luggage didn't go inside with me. So I thought maybe my scale at home was off by two pounds and I shouldn't tell my wife this as she will think she weighs 112 pounds and make us both diet when shes the fat one.

When I was told I needed to pay 100 dollars in overage I gladly said I'll remove 2 pounds and stuff it in my carry-on.

But what blew my mind was I only needed to take 1 pair of Victoria Secrets size small thong lace panties out of my luggage for the scale to drop from 52 to 50 slightly more than 50 pounds but under 51. No way in hell that string my wife calls panties weighs close to 2 pounds.

I couldn't enjoy Oceans 8 on my flight because the damned scale thing kept poping into my head. So the first thing I did when I got home was weighed my luggage. 49 Pounds it reads my scale. I stick the 1 piece of panties I took out and it still said 49 pounds. I threw the 1 panty onto the scale it didn't even register I needed to throw 4 of them on for the scale to read 0.01 Lbs

So either Deltas scale is bad, or my scales are lying to me.

Just beware if you tend to take 50 pounds in your luggage. This is my first time in years that I have had more than 30
SoroSuub1, wlau, hi55us and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 7, 18, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Generally business scales are certified by the state. Your scale at home isn't. Thus it's more likely the scale at home is off. Also depending how you place the bag on the scale it may change. If just a small bit of bag is over the edge of scale it can read as a small amount less.
Old Oct 7, 18, 11:54 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Occam's Razor would say that your scale is off as opposed to the one in T2.
olegator and Often1 like this.
Old Oct 7, 18, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HWGeeks View Post
I haven't emailed Delta to complain because there is nothing to complain about I didn't pay the fee. But I believe the scales at least on the SKY Priority side need to be calibrated or something. Well, I didn't check all of the scales just the one that I was at.

I weighed my suitcase at home, it was 49 pounds. I weighed it because I knew It was heavier than normal. Wife asked me to buy a bunch of summer clearance clothing from forever 21, express and victorias secret. While summers over in the states summers all year round where I live

I get to the airport its 52 pounds. Now I know I personally stopped and ate a mcgriddle from McDonalds on the way to the airport. But I swear my luggage didn't go inside with me. So I thought maybe my scale at home was off by two pounds and I shouldn't tell my wife this as she will think she weighs 112 pounds and make us both diet when shes the fat one.

When I was told I needed to pay 100 dollars in overage I gladly said I'll remove 2 pounds and stuff it in my carry-on.

But what blew my mind was I only needed to take 1 pair of Victoria Secrets size small thong lace panties out of my luggage for the scale to drop from 52 to 50 slightly more than 50 pounds but under 51. No way in hell that string my wife calls panties weighs close to 2 pounds.

I couldn't enjoy Oceans 8 on my flight because the damned scale thing kept poping into my head. So the first thing I did when I got home was weighed my luggage. 49 Pounds it reads my scale. I stick the 1 piece of panties I took out and it still said 49 pounds. I threw the 1 panty onto the scale it didn't even register I needed to throw 4 of them on for the scale to read 0.01 Lbs

So either Deltas scale is bad, or my scales are lying to me.

Just beware if you tend to take 50 pounds in your luggage. This is my first time in years that I have had more than 30
FYI at JFK T2, I've been over by 2- 3 pounds on occasion, and they've never charged me.
Old Oct 7, 18, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K; BA Gold
Also, if your scales at home are on carpet (or something other than a solid surface) or the floor is uneven the weight of items will be less.

Also see:
https://www1.nyc.gov/site/dca/media/pr072117.page

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Oct 7, 18 at 1:37 pm
Old Oct 7, 18, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska View Post
Also, if your scales at home are on carpet (or something other than a solid surface) or the floor is uneven the weight of items will be less.

Also see:
https://www1.nyc.gov/site/dca/media/pr072117.page
Treu, but removing 1 small item of clothing certainly won't make a difference.....
strickerj and olegator like this.
Old Oct 8, 18, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta FO (I use to be More)
Originally Posted by MarkP24 View Post
Treu, but removing 1 small item of clothing certainly won't make a difference.....
Exactly I don't believe 1 Item of clothing would drop it so much. Also, the bag wasn't moved I just took it out of a side pocket.

As for the city of NY Certifying that the scales are accurate. Tell that to all the scrap dealers who have to sell to DCA certified scales how accurate those are.
Old Oct 8, 18, 10:11 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Are luggage scales at airports actually regulated like a truck scale at a truck stop at the state level?

I dont think I have ever seen an inspection sticker on airport scales but I could be wrong.
strickerj likes this.
Old Oct 8, 18, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP should show up at JFK with his scale and the certification for that scale.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 18, 11:07 am

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Talking Woodford-fueled?

OP sounds pretty Woodford-fueled with all of the extraneous info about wifey, brands, McGriddles, lace panties and such.

Just sayin'

Old Oct 8, 18, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by vincentharris View Post
Are luggage scales at airports actually regulated like a truck scale at a truck stop at the state level?

I dont think I have ever seen an inspection sticker on airport scales but I could be wrong.
Yes. They're charging based on weight. Thus they must be certified. Not all states place a sticker on each scale. Here in TX there's one paper certificate on the wall behind the checkin desk. It certifies all the scales at the DL positions at that airport. However other states don't even have that. Others still put one on each scale. Regardless, they're regulated. Most states scales are regulated by same agency as those in grocery stores.
Old Oct 8, 18, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Yes. They're charging based on weight. Thus they must be certified. Not all states place a sticker on each scale. Here in TX there's one paper certificate on the wall behind the checkin desk. It certifies all the scales at the DL positions at that airport. However other states don't even have that. Others still put one on each scale. Regardless, they're regulated. Most states scales are regulated by same agency as those in grocery stores.
Learn something new every day
Old Oct 8, 18, 7:23 pm

Programs: Float between DL Gold and DL Platinum; "alum" of consistent mid-high tier status on UA
I bought a luggage scale from Amazon a couple of years ago for about $8. It has proven to be very accurate . . . always matches the scale at the airport precisely. It's a much better method than the "stand on the scale without your luggage, now stand on the scale with your luggage" method. Twice a year, I bring two checked bags to Europe with stuff for my daughter, and I usually maximize my allowance . . . two 50-pound bags. With this luggage scale, I am totally comfortable and confident when they weigh in at 49 lbs at home (I leave a 1 lb margin of error, but truth be told I've never needed the margin).

Many years ago (mid-2000s), I was a couple of pounds overweight on a checked bag, but the check-in agent let it slide. Maybe they're playing it more "by the book" these days.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 18, 9:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The baggage scales may be certified, but the problem is that they're rechecked (at best) at infrequent intervals. Iv'e seen scales for the same airline (obviously at the same airport) change by four pounds or so when the bag is moved from one check in position to another within a minute or so and without any rearrangement of contents.
DiverDave and hi55us like this.
Old Oct 9, 18, 1:57 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Hold on... we are arguing about scale that's off by 1 or 2 pounds? Isn't that like a given? I've seen 1-2 pound difference between my outbound flight and return flight, which lead me to conclude dirty clothes generally weigh less according to airlines... I am more curious as to how people around you reacted when you opened your suitcase full of panties and women's clothing, and you had to decide which pair of the string panties you had to pull out!

I'd be like just charge me the $100...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: