Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Things I've observed about Delta -- are they unique to Delta?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things I've observed about Delta -- are they unique to Delta?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by aero0729
DL exceeds in only one area and zero others. In flight Entertainment. Everything else is terrible.
On time performance, IRROPS help are another two.
HDQDD, emrdoc, gooselee and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
As a Seattle flyer for a long time (before DL hub) I'd suggest you continue to concentrate on Delta. Since you're infrequent, getting the credit card, getting the MQD waiver, and using the credit card(s) to get at least silver would probably make a big difference.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by evergrn
It's alarming to hear that it's common with DL for tons of people to board even before the Sky group. The few times I do fly UA domestically each year, I do tend to fly E+ (UA's version of Comfort) but I don't ever recall any issues with overhead bin on UA. Is it that there's just tons of Diamond Medallion members (I don't know much about DL's program) or is it again boarding enforcement issue?
Saying it is alarming might be a bit dramatic, I feel like it just looks like a ton of people but in reality it isn't.

Flying Delta over the past decade, I have always been at least Zone 1 (by way of Gold Amex) and can't ever recall not having overhead bin space near my seat. Only been Gold, so SKY boarding, for about a year and certainly no issues in that time.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by bworrell
As a Seattle flyer for a long time (before DL hub) I'd suggest you continue to concentrate on Delta. Since you're infrequent, getting the credit card, getting the MQD waiver, and using the credit card(s) to get at least silver would probably make a big difference.
Agree even just about the credit card. Other than upgrades (rare anyway) I really didn't notice a real significant difference between the Gold Amex (free bag and zone 1) and Silver.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
DL exceeds in only one area and zero others. In flight Entertainment. Everything else is terrible.
Uhh...DL beats the other majors at on time performance and flight completion %. Plus (of course) nonstops/frequency out of ATL.

As an ATL based traveler, I will take those three things over fancy IFE or boarding order or meal quality anytime. Not that I don't think IFE is important and boarding order/meals should be improved, but I'm not making my purchase decisions on those things.
HDQDD, MarkP24 and strickerj like this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by flyerCO
On time performance, IRROPS help are another two.
Can't argue about on-time performance but it is important to keep in mind the real on-time performance difference is on the order of 1% or so once you adjust for the routes that Delta flights versus its competitors. I do think that Delta is a bit better at not cancelling flights (especially regional flights) until they really, really have to.

With that said, based on my experience, if you have status, IRROPS help/service between DL and UA is very similar (and when it is international UA is way better due to the larger scale of *A and generally better interoperability of S* vs SkyTeam).

Agree that for a non-statused traveler I think that DL treats its customers better in the case of IRROPs.

All in all I find UA and Delta comparable these days - AA is still a disaster (and possibly getting worse) since the US Airways merger.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I've been EXP with AA and 1K with UA, and now Platinum with Delta, and in my opinion although Delta's SkyMiles program is far inferior to UA, and marginally inferior to AA, their inflight product is superior, their onetime arrivals are better, and their FA's are MUCH friendlier and more professional than UA and AA among other things.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

@ garykung Exactly the type of feedback I wanted. thanks!

One thing I've noticed about DL's IFE live TV is that the reception is much more stable than other airlines' such as Jet Blue. But I can't tell if I've just been lucky as I don't think I have enough recent data points to be sure.

Originally Posted by ATLMike1234
Help me find these other airlines so I can fly them - they're not UA and AA, which have poor service out of the majority of their hubs regardless of competition level.
In recent years the only domestic UA flights I've taken have been SEA-SFO and SFO-LAX. But, while UA is not amazing, I can tell you that I've never had piss-poor crew on UA in their coach/E+. AS has mediocre to good service, but I've never had terrible crew either. Nothing I've experienced has been as bad as a couple of terrible ATL-based crew that I've had on DL flights in the past year.

Originally Posted by bworrell
I think you're right and I'm leaning towards aiming to concentrate on DL. I don't know what the MQD waiver means and I don't know how the credit card could get me silver with my limited US travel, but I can read up on these things. Mainly I just want to be able to get overhead bin space every time and occasionally use their lounge without paying $60. It'd be nice if there was a way for me to access Comfort seat for free (as I do with UA's E+), but that's okay. It seems different people have different perceptions about DL. But all in all, the comments that I've read on here about DL are more positive than negative. I have other concerns about DL, such as that their long-term commitment to SEA is not a guarantee (whereas AS should always be SEA-based) and their MP is really bad (at least compared to UA) and their credit card lineup is much less attractive value-for-value compared to UA's. But what other options do I have at SEA? To me, AS is becoming hard to love at SEA because they're not price-competitive, their lounge is no good, and credit card sucks. AS miles is still easier to redeem for TPAC travel than DL, and that's really the main reason why I might even consider sticking with AS over DL at this point.

Originally Posted by defrosted
Flying Delta over the past decade, I have always been at least Zone 1 (by way of Gold Amex) and can't ever recall not having overhead bin space near my seat. Only been Gold, so SKY boarding, for about a year and certainly no issues in that time.
Even when you're seated up front on Comfort?

Originally Posted by ethernal
Agree that for a non-statused traveler I think that DL treats its customers better in the case of IRROPs.

All in all I find UA and Delta comparable these days - AA is still a disaster (and possibly getting worse) since the US Airways merger.
This is good feedback, thanks!
Old Oct 7, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
I will add that, as a SEA based flyer, your lounge options are probably the best in the system - the main SEA lounge at the A/B gates is great, and the one in the S terminals is not bad either. My most frequent routes are SEA-SFO and vv, and I can say you'll definitely have some of the nicest SCs on both ends.

My advice would be to get a Amex Platinum (non-DL) and, if the MQD waiver is important, a DL Amex Plat to go with it. The latter's $195 AF will pay itself back with the MQD waiver and the companion fare, and I believe you'll get Z1 boarding which will be useful until you get status. The non-DL Plat will get you lounge access to the DL SCs + Centurion lounges, as well as a lot of other benefits.

Every carrier will have different tradeoffs - the only thing I'd be worried about is DL's commitment to Seattle, but they seem to be seriously investing in the airport at this point.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
I'm not sure if I follow you. Did you mean to say that the only people sitting in Comfort seats getting higher boarding priority than paying Comfort customers (like me) are Diamond Medallion who got upgraded? Other elites who're upgraded from regular coach to Comfort should have similar boarding priority as me, no?

If this is correct, then who were all those Comfort zone pax that boarded before me and filled up all the overhead bins? Is it possible that they were all Diamond Medallion? I lined up as soon as GA called Sky. I was one of the first 5 people to line up after they called for Sky priority.
no, I am saying that in the SKY zone you are boarding with the following

- gold medallions in comfort plus or regular economy
- platinum medallions in comfort plus or regular economy
- any silver medallions who got upgraded to comfort plus
- all those with or without status who purchased comfort plus

diamond medallions and first class already boarded in PREM

I don’t know how all the overhead bins were full when you boarded but sometimes it happens. Maybe a whole bunch of people in pre boarding filled them up? Maybe every single diamond decided to put every bag in the comfort plus overhead.

My my point is SKY boarding is for paid comfort plus customers as well as 2 of the 4 medallion levels as a benefit.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by vincentharris

no, I am saying that in the SKY zone you are boarding with the following

- gold medallions in comfort plus or regular economy
- platinum medallions in comfort plus or regular economy
- any silver medallions who got upgraded to comfort plus
- all those with or without status who purchased comfort plus

diamond medallions and first class already boarded in PREM

I don’t know how all the overhead bins were full when you boarded but sometimes it happens. Maybe a whole bunch of people in pre boarding filled them up? Maybe every single diamond decided to put every bag in the comfort plus overhead.

My my point is SKY boarding is for paid comfort plus customers as well as 2 of the 4 medallion levels as a benefit.

In fairness on a lot of flights SKY makes up half of the plane (although not usually out of SEA). It doesn't happen often but I did have to gate check a bag once because I was the last to board SKY.

UA does have the same issue - but on most of their planes they are much less dense than Delta so so they tend to have fewer issues with overhead bag space.
vincentharris likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 5:15 pm

Even when you're seated up front on Comfort?
Yes, to be fair I don't have a large bag, but I always find space.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by manacit
I will add that, as a SEA based flyer, your lounge options are probably the best in the system - the main SEA lounge at the A/B gates is great, and the one in the S terminals is not bad either. My most frequent routes are SEA-SFO and vv, and I can say you'll definitely have some of the nicest SCs on both ends.

My advice would be to get a Amex Platinum (non-DL) and, if the MQD waiver is important, a DL Amex Plat to go with it. The latter's $195 AF will pay itself back with the MQD waiver and the companion fare, and I believe you'll get Z1 boarding which will be useful until you get status. The non-DL Plat will get you lounge access to the DL SCs + Centurion lounges, as well as a lot of other benefits.
Thanks but, after looking into things, I think Amex Plat is off the table. It's too expensive and, as it is, I'm spending close to $1k per year on Hilton Aspire and UA Club Card. Since UA Club has robust hours of operation at SEA, I don't really need another lounge access at SEA esp if I'm going to start choosing DL over AS (AS gates very far from UC). Where I could really use Sky Club access is at MSP (UC is tiny and closes so early) and BOS (UC is aeons away from DL gates). I was leaning towards the $95 card, but I'll have to look into the $195 one you suggest and figure out what this MQD business is all about. All I know is the $450 Reserve one is completely not worth it... for the same price, UA Club card gives free access to my entire family regardless of which airline I'm flying PLUS 1.5miles/$.

Btw, do you have to pay for my ticket with the DL credit card in order to get priority boarding? My corporate travel books my airline tix and directly expenses my employer. I don't pay for it and get it reimbused. As long as my DL Sky mile# is on the booking, will I get priority boarding due to being the credit card holder regardless of the method of payment?

Originally Posted by vincentharris
I don't know... all I know is almost everyone on rows 10 & 11 were already there and seated when I boarded and got to my row 10 seat. Anyways, it sounds this doesn't happen most of the time, so I'll leave it at that.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
No, don't have to pay with the card, it's linked via SM number.

AS for C+ being partially full, as noted Diamonds always board regardless of cabin with F. Its not unheard of to have number of DM in C+ on popular routes. Also the first row of C+ is a bulkhead. Thus by law they must place certain disabled passengers there.
evergrn likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by ethernal
In fairness on a lot of flights SKY makes up half of the plane (although not usually out of SEA). It doesn't happen often but I did have to gate check a bag once because I was the last to board SKY.

UA does have the same issue - but on most of their planes they are much less dense than Delta so so they tend to have fewer issues with overhead bag space.
ATL to almost anywhere on a Monday morning by the time you get through SKY easily half the plane is full. Once through Zone 1 I have seen single digit people boarding in zone 2, 3, & 4
MarkP24 and strickerj like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.