Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Do Tall Guys Have a Problem With Comfort+

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2018, 7:49 am
Original Poster

I'm deciding if Comfort+ is good for me. I'm tall 6'5''. The highest seat pitch is 34. What is your view on this? I've flew on airlines with 37+ and I don't know if 34 will cramp me. Any experiences would be welcomed thank you.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:12 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Are you trying to decide between buying C+ and F?

I'm 6'5" and I can say this much, you won't die in C+. Is it comfortable? I guess that's really a matter of your own personal preferences.

FWIW, I sat in regular non-comfort main cabin for three hours a couple of days ago after doing a same-day confirmed change away from a flight where I had a confirmed F upgrade and I survived. Even managed to get my laptop out and do some work.
Rhinolicious likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
6'4" with a 34" inseam (long torso, average legs). Comfort+ has plenty of space for me, usually 2"-3" between my kneecaps and the seat in front of me.

After we clear 10k feet, I pull my under-seat bag out from below the seat in front of me. I stand it up against my seat and stretch my legs out under the seat in front of me where my bag used to sit. Perfectly fine.

Grab an aisle seat and stretch a knee/leg into the aisle when the FAs are not conducting service.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pvn
Are you trying to decide between buying C+ and F?

I'm 6'5" and I can say this much, you won't die in C+. Is it comfortable? I guess that's really a matter of your own personal preferences.

FWIW, I sat in regular non-comfort main cabin for three hours a couple of days ago after doing a same-day confirmed change away from a flight where I had a confirmed F upgrade and I survived. Even managed to get my laptop out and do some work.
It's going to be a 4 hour flight, that's why I asked. Thanks for the info though. I'd hate to feel cramped for 4 hours during a flight, lol. I already hit the roof when I go on.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: DL DM; HH gold
6'6" here with 36" inseam. C+ is generally OK, but depending on the type of plane, I usually try to get an exit row instead (eyeballing it, I guess those run 36-ish to 38", depending on the plane and row - they are definitely not all created equal, so know your seat maps!).

Delta has some mainline Main cabin seats (I think it is the M88, but not 100% sure) where I cannot physically fit my upper leg between my seat back and the seat in front of me. I've only ended up in that situation a handful of times and always via IRROPS - it was torture for me and my seatmates.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:56 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
I'm 6'6" and generally find C+ is OK. I rarely use though, will always choose an exit over C+ when flying in Y.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
I'm 6'4" and when flying in coach, I will usually select an exit row (especially on A330 or 764) over a comfort + seat. Legroom is more important to me than a free beer or anything else, and nothing beats 4' of leegroom at an exit door. I'm probably inadvertantly also helping DL's bottom line because I'm giving up a C+ seat (which I would get for free), allowing DL to sell it to somebody else.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I'm not as tall but the thing about extra legroom seats that helps me is that my shins fit under the seat in front of me so I can stretch out. Those few inches can make a difference especially on a 4 hour flight
Dalewood likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:50 am

If you can get bulkhead C+ on planes with a soft bulkhead, it has substantially more room than F. If I recall correctly (someone please correct if inaccurate) all MDs, all Airbus, E175, CRJ7/9, 757, 737-700, 738, and left side of 739 all have C+ seats with extreme amounts of legroom. Check the seatmaps before buying and see if bulkhead seats (or 757/A321 at exit rows) are available before buying.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 11:38 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
note that those seats have tray tables in the armrests, so width is reduced by .5" or so.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by aww3583
6'4" with a 34" inseam (long torso, average legs). Comfort+ has plenty of space for me, usually 2"-3" between my kneecaps and the seat in front of me.

After we clear 10k feet, I pull my under-seat bag out from below the seat in front of me. I stand it up against my seat and stretch my legs out under the seat in front of me where my bag used to sit. Perfectly fine.

Grab an aisle seat and stretch a knee/leg into the aisle when the FAs are not conducting service.
Great Minds think alike! Same size, same measurements, same technique with the same result and opinion. Regular coach is torture to me especially if I have an “eager recliner” in front of me, but Plus seats are doable.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: United, AA, KrisFlyer
I can't speak to Comfort Plus as I've never flown it. However, on JAL and ANA regular economy flights to Tokyo out of San Francisco, the seat pitch on their 777's is 34". I'm 6'3" tall and I found the leg room to be adequate. I had a hard time sleeping on the flights I took, as the recline wasn't all that great, so I ended up with a sore neck and tired when we gt to Tokyo. But at least in terms of leg room, I was ok.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Just to add to the consensus... I'm 6' 4" and Delta's 34" pitch C+ isn't great (United planes with 35" are where I feel "good") - but it is more than tolerable. In terms of getting work done (laptop out in front of you), it is perfectly doable if a person does not recline in front of you. If there is a recline then you will definitely play elbows with your neighbor unless he/she is very petite.

If you're looking primarily for pitch, it is probably worth noting that C+ is not really noticeably worse than Delta's F - Delta's F is consistently tight (36") across the fleet and at least an inch and maybe an inch and a half of that goes away relative to an economy seat because the seats themselves are much thicker (meaning the effective pitch when compared to economy is more like 34.5"-35"). The big benefit in F is primarily from the significantly greater horizontal space you get (no playing elbows with your seatmate).

I spend probably 50-80% of my flights (depending on route and time of year) in regular Y and regular Y is definitely torture. C+ is a big upgrade to me and I'm always excited to grab it.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 7:57 pm

We fly college basketball charters on worse a/c with worse pitch.

Deal with it and save your money.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
We fly college basketball charters on worse a/c with worse pitch.

Deal with it and save your money.
Unlike college basketball players most adults don’t have to “deal with it” and have the option to fly their airline of choice in whichever way makes them most comfortable. Nowhere did the OP indicate that there was any concern about cost, (s)he simply asked about the Confort Plus experience and since you apparently had no input on that why did you feel the need to respond in such a rude manner?

To the OP, as others have said, it ain’t great but it beats Y-. Agree with the general consensus that an exit row is the better bet. With the way DL has enhanced leg room in F there’s really not that much difference anymore, especially if you’re behind a recliner.
clarkef, Tomphot and plancast like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.