Diamond GUC question

Old Oct 3, 18, 1:31 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 3MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Diamond GUC question

I have been quite successful over the past several years getting the upgrade on Delta metal when traveling off continent. That said, with the advent of the "new" Delta Premium Select, I am getting some interesting responses from DL CS agents about the use of the GUC. I've been told by two different agents, two different stories. So, what has your experience been buying a coach ticket (not basic economy) and getting the upgrade to Delta One? Story one: the GUC is ONLY a "one" cabin upgrade, so if you are coach it moves you to Premium Select, and you cannot use two to make the jump to D1, if you buy premium select, you can then use it to bump to D1. Story two: If D1 is available in an upgrade bucket, yes you can move from economy (not basic) to D1
Old Oct 3, 18, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
You can choose to use your GUC only for D1 or allow it to be used for Premium Select OR D1. If you are upgraded to PS then your GUC is considered used (and it would require another GUC to upgrade from PS to D1). Most folks here reserve their GUCs for the D1 upgrade and not the PS upgrade (i.e., they use it for a Y to D1 only).

The whole thing is a bit silly, but it is what it is. Unfortunately Delta has removed C+ from PS-equipped planes so it is a bit of a gun-to-the-head situation since you're otherwise stuck in true Y.
Old Oct 3, 18, 1:48 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DL Platinum View Post
I have been quite successful over the past several years getting the upgrade on Delta metal when traveling off continent. That said, with the advent of the "new" Delta Premium Select, I am getting some interesting responses from DL CS agents about the use of the GUC. I've been told by two different agents, two different stories. So, what has your experience been buying a coach ticket (not basic economy) and getting the upgrade to Delta One? Story one: the GUC is ONLY a "one" cabin upgrade, so if you are coach it moves you to Premium Select, and you cannot use two to make the jump to D1, if you buy premium select, you can then use it to bump to D1. Story two: If D1 is available in an upgrade bucket, yes you can move from economy (not basic) to D1
I can answer this pretty accurately because I just used them on Delta Premium Select. We flew from JFK->SNN (ireland) on a 757 that only had premium select, eco comfort and eco. I had no problem at all using the GUCs to upgrade and cleared immediately. We flew back 2 days ago.

oh yea, and I'm Diamond.

Last edited by sdadept; Oct 3, 18 at 1:49 pm Reason: more detail
Old Oct 3, 18, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Originally Posted by DL Platinum View Post
Story one: the GUC is ONLY a "one" cabin upgrade, so if you are coach it moves you to Premium Select, and you cannot use two to make the jump to D1, if you buy premium select, you can then use it to bump to D1. Story two: If D1 is available in an upgrade bucket, yes you can move from economy (not basic) to D1
Story One is directly contradicted by the Delta web site, in the table under "Waitlist Options"

Story Two is explicitly shown there, and there have been reports of such in the master GUC Success thread.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en....html#waitlist
MSPeconomist and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Oct 3, 18, 2:34 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Gold, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by ethernal View Post
The whole thing is a bit silly, but it is what it is. Unfortunately Delta has removed C+ from PS-equipped planes so it is a bit of a gun-to-the-head situation since you're otherwise stuck in true Y.
As others have said, Story 2 is correct. I have a GUC waitlisted for an upcoming LAX to PVG for plain old coach to D1. Iím not impressed by the PS product. Personally, I would not burn a GUC on it.

However, regular coach on the A350 is not bad: There is one exit row in coach that has a two-seat bench next to the windows. Plats and Diamonds can select those preferred seats at booking. The rest of coach has three seat window-side benches. Those would not be a good ride on a long flight. So coach is only OK on one of the two two-seat benches.
Old Oct 3, 18, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Bowgie View Post

As others have said, Story 2 is correct. I have a GUC waitlisted for an upcoming LAX to PVG for plain old coach to D1. I’m not impressed by the PS product. Personally, I would not burn a GUC on it.

However, regular coach on the A350 is not bad: There is one exit row in coach that has a two-seat bench next to the windows. Plats and Diamonds can select those preferred seats at booking. The rest of coach has three seat window-side benches. Those would not be a good ride on a long flight. So coach is only OK on one of the two two-seat benches.

Yes, it is "not bad" in comparison to a 30-31" 10 abreast 777 or 9 abreast 787 in regular Y. In any other context.. it's not good.

31" seat pitch is 31" seat pitch. It means not being able to work or do anything productive. I don't mind long non-redye flights in Y, so long as it has 34-35" of pitch. 31" pitch isn't really manageable.

And those 4 good seats on the plane can be selected by.. Diamonds, Platinums, Golds, Silvers, Delta Amex holders, and Corporate Travelers. The likelihood of those seats being available are, if not zero, must be pretty darn close to zero.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: