Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

BOS - Surprise you can be a Gold Medallion! Now

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS - Surprise you can be a Gold Medallion! Now

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
When they start gifting DM, watch the heavens rain down fire and brimstone.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Cloudship
I hate how Delta always does this. I have enough flights I have to book by the end of the year to get just up to Silver on DL, or I could do them all on AA and move to Platinum Pro. This would have sent me over to DL, but I guess I am sticking with AA.
AA does this too. Perhaps not xBOS just now, but it's fairly SOP for many carriers.

AA will also typically offer people who meet certain qualifications an opportunity to buy up, so there will likely be some goodly number of people buying PlatPro on AA who would have been stuck at Plat but for an offer. That one makes special sense because Plat-to-Plat Pro gets you freebie UG's.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by mnbp
I wonder if the automatic ticket reissue that happens when you get a C+ "upgrade" counts as/resets the ticketing date for this promo. Prior promos have also said that only tickets purchased after registration "counted" but in actual event all flights actually counted I thought.
IME a WU/RU upgrade does not result in a reissue or new ticket #.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 6:44 pm

Got the offer too, waiting for the last day (Oct 15) to boost myself from GM to PM.
I have already 2 flights to book, plus a third that is already booked so I guess it won't count.
If I miss one in the end, I'll probably do a silly round trip to NYC just to gain the status till 2020.
Now, when do those 4 certificates will expire and do I have to use them only for myself or can my wife benefits from them too?

Thanks
Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:51 am

Ok, so I did get the PM status upgrade, but it shows only from Feb 01, 2019 to Apr 15, 2019, I'm still GM till the end of January, is that normal ? I thought the six months were starting now.
Or maybe it takes a few days to update the status ? If so, let's assume I would get PM in 2018, would that mean I would be able to pick stuff in both 2018 and 2019?
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Blackfox
Now, when do those 4 certificates will expire and do I have to use them only for myself or can my wife benefits from them too?
They expire one year after you select them, so do it only when you’re about to first use them. They can take a day or so to make it into your wallet, so do it a few days before your first plannes use.

Yes, you can have them applied to any ticket(s) purchased through your Skymiles account.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
So frustrating for us in the rest of the country who have to work our tails off just to become GM+!
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
So frustrating for us in the rest of the country who have to work our tails off just to become GM+!
Well, I've been working like crazy to maintain my GM status for years, so the temporary PM one is just a bonus
Plus from Boston it's really a mess, Delta has almost no D1 flights to the west coast, no direct flight to Canada, no direct flight to Asia, only one or two flights to Europe (Paris, Amsterdam), so you keep connecting, I can understand why they give a small compensation for us GM members.
Now if only I could have get 2 global instead of 4 local upgrade certificates, that would have made my day even more. I've never understood why this was not an option for a PM, which is the reason why I've never bothered to achieve it on my own and always preferred to roll over my extra miles for the next year...
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Blackfox
I've never understood why this was not an option for a PM, which is the reason why I've never bothered to achieve it on my own and always preferred to roll over my extra miles for the next year...
For me PM is most valuable for the award redeposits…so frustrating to not have it now as a GM. I can't even cancel within 24hrs online anymore—I have to call. zzz
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:48 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Gewurztraminer
I'm also a BOS-based GM, got the offer to go up to PM yesterday. This morning I was able to select Choice Benefits for 2019. I now have 4 RUC and the website is showing an expiration date on the certificates of 10/02/2019 - ie 1 year from today.

Curious to see what will happen with rollover MQMs in January.
For anyone else who got this offer -- unless you have a need for the RUCs, wait to select them as long as possible, since they expire a year from when selected. So if they are appearing as 2018 Platinum choice benefits you could select them as late as 1/31/2019; if they're 2019 Platinum choice benefits then you have until 1/31/2020 (so could potentially use them up to a year after those dates).
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by bgriff
For anyone else who got this offer -- unless you have a need for the RUCs, wait to select them as long as possible, since they expire a year from when selected. So if they are appearing as 2018 Platinum choice benefits you could select them as late as 1/31/2019; if they're 2019 Platinum choice benefits then you have until 1/31/2020 (so could potentially use them up to a year after those dates).
If you don't fly the 4 RTs in the qualification period, then PM expires after 6 months, which is sometime in April 2019, depending on when you accepted the offer. So I assume you would want to select by April if you're not going to meet the terms.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by yaychemistry
If you don't fly the 4 RTs in the qualification period, then PM expires after 6 months, which is sometime in April 2019, depending on when you accepted the offer. So I assume you would want to select by April if you're not going to meet the terms.
Just curious, but I presume to go from comped PM to actual DM you still need to meet the full qualifications— i.e. make 125K MQMs and not just the 50K difference between PM and DM (or segments, plus MQD or waiver amounts)?
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by TheHorta

Just curious, but I presume to go from comped PM to actual DM you still need to meet the full qualifications— i.e. make 125K MQMs and not just the 50K difference between PM and DM (or segments, plus MQD or waiver amounts)?
I believe it's the full 125k MQMs + $15k MQD/ $250k Waiver.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:41 pm

Update :
I waited till the last day, so I'm PM till Apr 16, 2019, effective immediately. Too bad that the flight that I already booked for the end of the week won't not only not count but I won't get any upgrade since First Class is full.
Also I got the choice benefit only for 2019, so it's only one set of 4 RTs, not two, and I'm not sure when they would expire.
I intend to do the 4 trips, since I already have 2 trips to book and both involve a connection, so I think I can get away with it by booking the flights separately as 4 trips.
DM qualification is the regular one 125k MQMs + 15k MQDs, for which I won't qualify. I could possibly get enough MQMs but not a chance that I would reach the MQDs. I wish the MQDs would have rollover ability because there are some years where I got the MQDs but not enough MQMs, and some years where it is the opposite, so if they don't change the rules I'll likely never be DM.

Last edited by Blackfox; Oct 16, 2018 at 6:47 pm
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, United Silver
I got the GM offer, but unfortunately no one else in my household did. Works great for me since I essentially got a head start on status I would have been earning next year anyway. Already had AM and VS flights booked, but since those wouldn't count, I used TYPs, URs, and MRs to book BOS-MSP-BOS, BOS-DTW-RSW-BOS, and BOS-TPA-CVG-BOS in January to secure it and have the MQMs count for 2020 status. I do think this was highly targeted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.