JFK: INT to DOM

Old Oct 2, 18, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
JFK: INT to DOM

I donít fly DL and itís been 20 years since Iíve arrived an international flight thru JFK.

A friend just booked some flights 2 weeks ago but only asked me today, outside the 24-hour cancel period.

Arrival in April, a Thursday afternoon, on Delta metal, from ZUR, at 4;42 pm. Sheís booked in Basic Economy, so probably one of the last off the plane. Has to clear immigrations, grab her suitcase, clear customs, drop off suitcase, go through security again.

Then she is booked on Delta, departing 6:15 pm, to LAX.

it seems to meet the MCT .... but is this feasible at JFK???

(Iíll give her credit, thought .... the round trip LAX-ZUR-LAX in E class is $375!)
Old Oct 2, 18, 4:09 am

i did that same route some years ago. high chance of missing that flight due to LONG customs lines. once through, its a long walk from what i remember.

i ended up missing the 6pm LAX departure and delta put us on the 8pm one automatically

**ended up missing the flight with global entry and sky priority bag tags too**
Old Oct 2, 18, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Is she a US/Canada citizen? If so no issues. Have her download the CBP app and she'll be right through. Immigration isnt the cluster it was before technology came into play at CBP.
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Oct 2, 18, 7:30 am

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVP, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by phatcow View Post
i did that same route some years ago. high chance of missing that flight due to LONG customs lines. once through, its a long walk from what i remember.

i ended up missing the 6pm LAX departure and delta put us on the 8pm one automatically

**ended up missing the flight with global entry and sky priority bag tags too**
You should still be through CBP within 5-15 minutes (varies based on your walk pace) using GE. Was it because of late bag arrival or TSA security reclearance?

This is a tight connection, but still a doable one.

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Is she a US/Canada citizen? If so no issues. Have her download the CBP app and she'll be right through. Immigration isnt the cluster it was before technology came into play at CBP.
Yes. The app is called Mobile Passport. Highly recommended If traveler does not have Global Entry.
Old Oct 2, 18, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tight but doable if she's a US Citizen and uses the mobile passport app. In that case, gating item is probably baggage delivery (notwithstanding the 20-minute guarantee). Also since this is a Thursday evening, it's probably prime travel time so TSA security may be a bit backed up getting back into the departures area.
There could also be a 10-15 minute swing factor on the actual time to connect depending on which gates the arriving/departing flights use - some of them are quite a distance so there could be a lot of walking.

If she's a non-US Citizen the chance of a misconnect is pretty high in my opinion.

If there's a misconnect, there are still 2 later flights on the schedule now at 7:25 pm and 9:20 pm. DL will rebook the pax on those (subject to availability, or else she'll have to standby).

And one last word - there's a decent chance of a schedule change between now and April that could (1) increase the connection time to make it more comfortable, or (2) reduce the connection time in which case the connection probably becomes illegal and DL will rebook the pax on a later LAX flight. Have her check her reservation on Delta.com once every couple of weeks, sometimes email notifications don't come through.
Old Oct 2, 18, 7:59 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
And one last word - there's a decent chance of a schedule change between now and April that could (1) increase the connection time to make it more comfortable, or (2) reduce the connection time in which case the connection probably becomes illegal and DL will rebook the pax on a later LAX flight. Have her check her reservation on Delta.com once every couple of weeks, sometimes email notifications don't come through.
It would be unlike Delta to not have a schedule change for an April flight.

The MCT is 1hr 25 minutes, and you are 8 minutes above that right now. So hope for a schedule change so your friend can be less stressed out. Either way, tell her to use the Mobile Passport app. It saves so much time.

Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
In that case, gating item is probably baggage delivery (notwithstanding the 20-minute guarantee). [...]
The 20 minute guarantee doesn't apply on international flights, and it could take much longer during peak times.
Old Oct 2, 18, 8:16 am
Moderator, Delta & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
This forum has a JFK MCT (minimum connection time) thread.

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

There's a later JFK-LAX flight.
Old Oct 2, 18, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Thanks everyone. Yes, I was going to suggest MP to her ... to check for schedule changes frequently .... and to print out the schedule for later flight about a week before departure.
Old Oct 2, 18, 10:49 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.6MM, IHG Spire Elite
I've been connecting through JFK a lot over the past year. I give myself at least 2 hrs ( I have Global Entry). Seem to remember CBP combined the GE & MP into one line (also included flight crews). I want to say that line took at least 20-30 minutes to get through, which surprised me. Regardless baggage claim can eat up 30 minutes so GE or MP isn't too big a deal. TSA continues to be a wonder (sarcasm), seems like a brand new experience every time I go through. Also, even if the flight arrives early there is never a guarantee your friend will pick up any time, taxi to the gate can eat up 30 minutes. Sorry, I'm not optimistic, I try to avoid JFK whenever possible.
Old Oct 2, 18, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeltaFirst View Post
Seem to remember CBP combined the GE & MP into one line (also included flight crews).
As of a few weeks ago, there seemed to be separate lines -- Coming from the B gates, GE on the left, MP in the middle and others on the right. Nobody went down the MP line and I couldn't actually see where it went since there are some booths between the GE kiosks and the rest of the room that blocked the view.

Originally Posted by FlyerWx View Post
The 20 minute guarantee doesn't apply on international flights, and it could take much longer during peak times.
Ah, OK, I didnt realize, but suppose that's too good to be true.
Old Oct 2, 18, 1:19 pm

Programs: Delta PM, MM
This seems to be a leisure trip. In that case, tell your friend:

1) Get a mobile passport, as many have already suggested.
2) Don’t check a bag; she can bring enough for any leisure trip in a carryon and will save $120.
3) Relax. Anticipate that she may miss her connecting flight; it won’t be a disaster. She will be rebooked. Since she’s in BE her rebooked seat probably won’t be worse than her original seat.
Old Oct 2, 18, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Another vote for Mobile Passport. It allowed us to skip the long line for returning US citizens and breeze through in about five minutes at JFK. I'm a huge fan of the app for the moment.
Old Oct 2, 18, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I’m seeing her tomorrow. My list is:

1. Download MP
2. Print list of later flights, in case delays
3. Sit forward, if possible.