Wistful Longing for the B787

Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ethernal
Not really that important to your point - but unless something has recently changed, isn't FedEx is the second largest operator of 752s just behind Delta (by a few.. obviously Delta has way more 757s overall if you include the 753 variant).
I believe FedEx bought a big portion of the non-ETOPS sUA 757 fleet (with UA keeping the sUA PS 757 and the sCO 757 for TATL)
Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:06 am

There was never a issue between the pilots union and Delta on the 777 rest facility. The airplanes came with the standard Boeing facility and the pilots had and have no complaint about it.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Not really that important to your point - but unless something has recently changed, isn't FedEx is the second largest operator of 752s just behind Delta (by a few.. obviously Delta has way more 757s overall if you include the 753 variant).
Planespotters.net shows Delta with 111 757-200s - 11 of which are in charter config that Delta doesn't count in its fleet (see the relevant 10-Q filing). Planespotters shows FedEx with 119 757-200s - so, a few more than Delta's 752+753 combined.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:29 am

Agreed that Delta's route network would benefit from a plane capable of true long-and-thin, but I think that for the most part Delta feels that the 767 and A332 serves the "thin and long enough" role. A completely wild guess but there's probably only a half dozen or so routes that Delta feels like they can't profitably run that they could/would run if they had a 787.

The aging out of the 767 fleet is going to leave a much larger hole in Delta's route network, but one that the 787 is not really equipped to fill.

Obviously this is somewhat of a bet of fuel prices remaining in a tolerable range as at some point the 787's superior fuel burn per seat flips the economics of things.

With that said, as a passenger, I am somewhat thankful that Delta is not proliferating the 787 given the tight Y seating that plane offers.
The 787-8 would do a fine job of filling in for the ~25 763s that wont be replaced by 339s.

Im betting on Boeing and Delta doing a deal like American/Boeing just did. Short term 788s that will bridge to the MOM. Delta could then either return those 787s to Boeing or shift them to other flying.
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
There would be fewer A330s (oft-cited as the widebody favorite in coach and Delta One), and probably no order for 339s.
The 10 GE birds might not be around, that is hard to say. The 339 would probably still be on order because they 787 is pretty expensive and heavy/high range to replace the 767 unless you need the lower capacity. The 10 GE 333s were originally ordered for growth so maybe that growth would have actually happened. Maybe Delta doesn't order those 10 333s and adds more 787s. Very hard to tell. Richard Anderson and Ed Bastain would still be looking for the best deal and would still play Airbus and Boeing off of each other.

What probably wouldn't be around is the 350. The 787 would have replaced the 744 as NW originally planned. I'm not sure I see it in the fleet with the 787.
764s would probably still in domestic F config, and a few people would be complaining about F seat width.
No they wouldn't. Remember, Delta ended up with more 777s on order than originally planned (13 v 18) and the 764 still ended up going international.

777 or no 777, flying domestic 764s 10x on ATL-MCO is still setting money on fire.
If Delta thought it had a strategy to make money on long-thin routes it would have 787s today. How many secondary TPAC routes did UA try and drop, only to refocus on domestic growth (by adding CR2s!) and reconfiguring 77As for 10-across domestic service? SFO-Xi'an is gone. SFO-Hangzhou is gone. Even longer, LAX-SIN is gone. If a TPAC destination can't work from UA@SFO it surely isn't going to work from SEA.
United has been able to add quite a few routes with the 787. AKL, MEL(non-stop), routes like SFO-TLV, DEN-NRT etc. Secondary China has been cut back but for the most part United started those routes on subsides and once they ran out United left. HGH was dropped in favor of SFO-PVG going double daily, thanks to the 787. LAX-SIN was moved to a double daily SFO-SIN.

Having said all of that, I do agree with the general point. Delta can't even figure out how to fly to Hong Kong much less secondary China. A 787 order isn't magically going to mean a ton of long and thin flying. I do think it would be valuable for China and the possibly of adding flying (back) to places like HKG/TPE/BOM/DEL. It would also allow for routes to JV hubs like SLC-ICN or routes that badly need something smaller than the 777/359 like MSP-HND/ICN.
FX has more 752s than Delta. I think its 8 frames

Delta has more 757s due to the 16 753s.
Originally Posted by Jeff767
There was never a issue between the pilots union and Delta on the 777 rest facility.

yes there was. It isn't the reason the airplanes were delayed (pilot pay was) but the pilots did have an issue with the crew rest. From what I remember they didn't fly over 12 hours till they were sent into mods for OHCRs in 2000.

Originally Posted by Jeff767
The airplanes came with the standard Boeing facility and the pilots had and have no complaint about it.
nope.
1 of the ERs and all of the LRs came from the factory with overhead crew rest but the first 7 777s did not. They were modified with the TIMCO overhead crew rest in 2000 along with going from 2-5-2 in coach to 3-3-3
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
The A330 is much larger than the 767. I'm not sure why some people think the A330 is a replacement for them. Say goodbye to routes like IND-CDG, JFK-PSA, ATL-STR, etc. Delta can't even fill 767's in the off-season. The A330 is just way too much capacity.

Yes, Delta is definitely the odd man out on the 787. Everyone else loves them and continues to order more. Meanwhile no one seems to want the 330neo. But that just shows how good the relationship is between Airbus and Delta. Airbus has won 75% of Delta's orders over the last decade. That isn't going to change anytime soon. There will be no 787 or Boeing MOM in Delta colors. I'm sure Airbus can give one final upgrade to the A321neoLR for Delta.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by spongenotbob

Take one long-haul flight in Y/Y+ in any 787 anywhere in the world, and that wistful longing will never be an issue for you, ever again...

I have two points of disagreement:
1) Seat width in actual premium economy (not something Comfort+ esque) is going to be fine.
2) JL's kept all of their 787s at 2-4-2 in Y, and it's delightful.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by jinglish
I have two points of disagreement:
1) Seat width in actual premium economy (not something Comfort+ esque) is going to be fine.
2) JL's kept all of their 787s at 2-4-2 in Y, and it's delightful.
DL made a big deal over keeping their 777s 3-3-3 with the new config. Perhaps if they ever got 787s (doubtful) they'd differentiate and go with the 2-4-2, which would indeed be delightful. But that's probably wishful thinking...
Old Oct 5, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I agree with the general thought here. Business in the dreamliner is great. The back... ehhh I don't want to do it. I also agree the 767/330 with the 2 seats on the side is a spectacular setup for those that have to fly in Y.

Real PE is a different story but that isn't a fair comparison.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.