Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta CEO Declares Free In-Flight Wi-Fi Is Coming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta CEO Declares Free In-Flight Wi-Fi Is Coming

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by sdadept
i gotta take the other side on this. I'd prefer they charged and made money on it. This would keep the total number of people on it down IMHO. Even the 2k wifi isn't all that fast on most delta flights.
Agree. I'd rather pay than having 150 people at once using it and ruin the speed.
CPMaverick and ethernal like this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It could be included as part of SkyPriority.
THIS
or another option: why not make it a benefit of Platinum and Diamonds? We could just enter our skymiles number which would be coded for the free wifi and boom, there you go.
full disclosure: i know NOTHING about this type of thing so not even sure if it's possible. But it sounds like iit would be a nice additional perk.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Ryno1234
THIS
or another option: why not make it a benefit of Platinum and Diamonds? We could just enter our skymiles number which would be coded for the free wifi and boom, there you go.
full disclosure: i know NOTHING about this type of thing so not even sure if it's possible. But it sounds like iit would be a nice additional perk.
Diamonds and Platinums are the ones most likely to pay for it (and most likely paid for with OPM), so that seems unlikely. If it is linked to anything it will be linked to branded fares and not Medallion status.
HDQDD likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by fotographer
Hope AA copies this,
(I get one hour free with T-mobile)
AA only copies the negative things DL does, not the positive.
HDQDD and Gig103 like this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by sdadept
i gotta take the other side on this. I'd prefer they charged and made money on it. This would keep the total number of people on it down IMHO. Even the 2k wifi isn't all that fast on most delta flights.
And provides a financial incentive to continually improve and maintain the system. I agree totally with this sentiment.

Generally speaking, free WiFi = bad WiFi.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by fotographer
Hope AA copies this,
(I get one hour free with T-mobile)
Promise without deeds is no promise at all!
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:03 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds

And provides a financial incentive to continually improve and maintain the system. I agree totally with this sentiment.

TK offers Wi-Fi for free to all J and status passengers in Y. Works very well.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TPJ
TK offers Wi-Fi for free to all J and status passengers in Y. Works very well.
Number of airlines do or regularly run promos that do that.

I know CI just ended a promo where they gave one 24hour flight pass for every flight booked in J. AY gives an hour free to all J and full flight to all OW Emeralds. JAL gives it free for F passengers. ETC..
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:54 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by mrcool1122
Does he count most airports? Because many of the airports I've been to seem to have the model where the basic, slow internet is free (maybe after you watch an ad), while the faster, more useful internet costs. It's pretty likely Delta would probably use the same model with in-flight internet.
That sounds good to me. Free slow/limited WiFi for sending email and SMS (via WiFi "calling") is plenty. If you need more functionality, it doesn't seem like Delta has ruled out increased service for increased cost.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
How much have you flown JetBlue with its free satellite wifi?
BamaGirl likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
How much have you flown JetBlue with its free satellite wifi?
+1. Never had a problem with bandwidth on a B6 flight.
BamaGirl likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by eastindywalrus
All aircraft would have to be converted to 2Ku. As much as the current prices of in-flight WiFi limit the number of active users on a system at any given time, the older systems will get bogged down incredibly easily (to the point of barely functioning, if at all).

Even still, my experience with 2Ku is that when it works, its faster - but it's still so intermittent that you can't rely on it at all. I mean, I guess maybe people won't care as much if it doesn't work consistently if they're getting it for free... but, yeah, it's gotta get better than what it is now, regardless of what they do or don't charge for it.
I can't imagine Delta can offer free WiFi ever. If it is GoGo the system will just not work. Easy to promise free WiFi and then it doesn't work. Maybe he knows this and make the promise. Make it free. Good PR? Won't actually work.

I'd be worried it effects the free streaming.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
Mr. Bastian brought this up at a breakfast meeting I attended in Minneapolis in June. He was just giving his opinion of what he would expect to happen in the future. He also alluded to the fact that "basic" wi-fi may be free, but you would be able to pay up to faster service for a fee. He also mentioned that some sort of free wi-fi is available in most places these days, so why not the airlines.
I would pay now for something that actually works. It's so annoying to have GoGo. It almost ends up being free if you stay on top of complaints when it isn't working.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:51 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
guys he's not saying he's going to make wifi free starting next week with the current system. This is a long, long term discussion. At some point in the future, the technology will be good enough to handle free wifi for everyone on the plane. But not today and not anytime soon.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:52 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
I would pay now for something that actually works.
I pay for wifi monthly and use it on almost every flight. In 92 segments so far this year I've had serious trouble one time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.