Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Choosing seats on KE

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That's a good question. It would be useful to try to figure out the various combinations:

1. regional or long haul

2. coach or business

3. KE-coded or DL-coded

4. KE-ticketed or DL-ticketed

5. Fare buckets that are eligible vs. those that are ineligible.
Long haul, coach, L class, KE coded, KE ticketed, KE operated: I was able to select seats well in advance of the trip.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 2:18 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
L class.
Both of mine are V each way... i'm having the same issue... I keep hearing I have to call in 24 hours before the flight to get assigned seats..
Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL DM
My trip last month that included two KE segments (ICN-BKK and the reverse) was EXTREMELY frustrating regarding seats. The trip was booked many months out. W class on Delta, T class on KE. No agent at DL or KE could assign seats after booking. Yes I went through the hoops to get the KE PNR. The KE website won't pull up a DL marketed, DL ticketed, KE operated itinerary. Their agents refuse to touch them either. One day a few weeks after booking I decided to call DL to see if I could escalate to someone at the codeshare desk. While navigating the phone prompts the DL system somehow auto assigned us coach seats in the back. Once I spoke to an agent she did not know how the system even did that and basically told me I should just keep my fingers crossed they stick as this is a known issue KE refuses to address.

Fast forward 6 months later to Within 3 weeks of the trip. The outbound segment stuck, but the return vanished one night. Again I played agent roulette with both KE and DL to no avail. Then magically, about 2 weeks out, different seats were assigned for the return segment. In the end these assignments for both segments stuck throughout the trip.

On the outbound, once I landed in ICN, I spoke to the GA for my KE segment to BKK asking if my DL boarding pass would work and if the seats printed on it were accurate. He in broken english said "Let me check. Sometimes Delta tickets no work." After 20 seconds of staring at his screen he said "Yes all good."

Most of the passengers in the back of the 777 and A330 were DL and obviously frustrated at crappy seats. Luckily we had an aisle/window combo both flights.

KE was a very lackluster experience. Old and outdated planes, outdated IFE, not good food, and just average FAs. I would fly them again for my trip every year or two to BKK, but DL has got to get this seat assignment issue resolved if they want the JV to work.

And also being GM on DL, SkyTeam Elite + didn't seem to make a difference either.

I encourage anyone who has these issues to complain to DL, but also keep the FT community informed if they find a solid work around!
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:15 pm

I never ever purchase KE flights through DL. The price is always higher (recent itinary ICN-IAD-ICN by $600) and seat selection is a mess. I always purchase KE-marketed and coded flights via an OTA, and then go to the KE website and select seats. My seat selection sticks 95% of the time.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:29 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
You cannot select seats on KE flights in advance in economy. Not on phone 24 hours before flight. It sucks.

Your best bet is to be first in line at KE counter sky priority queue when check in desk opens. Hope for the best and push hard if given crappy options.

I complained multiple times to DL. they don’t give a crap. DL blames KE. KE blames DL. Crappy middle seat on JFK ICN sucks.

Also... KE not that great. Food mediocre and Not that much of it. Very little booze offered. No water bottles. Good seat pitch but that is it. I was very underwhelmed on my recent KE flights. JFK ICN BKK ICN JFK.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:52 pm

KE recently implemented a policy where cheaper Economy fares cannot select seats in advance(> 24 hrs), even for their own members.
It used to be u can select economy seats in advance regardless of fare class.

Guess this new policy carried over to code share flights.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond
DL Ticket on KE Metal - cant pick seats, what a pain!

Flying HNL to NRT on DL ticket on KE metal. V Fare, when I booked the tickets I was able to pick seats but then realized that they didn't stick.

Seat map on the site/app doesn't work, called DL and they transfer me to Korean Air. Korean Air tells me they cant help and Delta has to assign the seats.
Delta says Korean has to do it.
Then today Delta says "we cant do it, you have to get them at the airport"
There is no warning when booking that you cant pick seats.

Korean says Code Share support can do it, but when we called delta they refused to transfer me saying its not possible to pick seats.

What is the correct answer?

Skymiles site says one of the benefits of booking and using partner airlines is "preferred seats" so much for that.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by cboy
Flying HNL to NRT on DL ticket on KE metal. V Fare, when I booked the tickets I was able to pick seats but then realized that they didn't stick.

Seat map on the site/app doesn't work, called DL and they transfer me to Korean Air. Korean Air tells me they cant help and Delta has to assign the seats.
Delta says Korean has to do it.
Then today Delta says "we cant do it, you have to get them at the airport"
There is no warning when booking that you cant pick seats.

Korean says Code Share support can do it, but when we called delta they refused to transfer me saying its not possible to pick seats.

What is the correct answer?

Skymiles site says one of the benefits of booking and using partner airlines is "preferred seats" so much for that.
It used to be that KE could do it, either via online chat, then via their site when that was opened up. Also seats you select on DL may sometimes stick, though usually it's only seats far at the back that are available, with the preferred STE+ seats blocked typically.

That is for X and O award tickets, however. For other fare classes (revenue) I don't believe you can get seats to stick.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:07 am

Programs: Priority Club Pl, Marriot Gold, Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, TSA Pre✓
Our Delta one seats stuck

We flew a Delta code share Korean air metal ICN - SIN on December 1. A Delta Reservation agent made the reservations including seats. They stuck. Also our Asian vegetarian request stuck also but, for my wife, the meal request did not show on the Delta app. So I called Korean Air and they told me the request was in their system.
I did decide not to do DL codeshare on KOrean Air metal again. The long layovers is Seoul is the main reason but the problems of dealing with both airlines is another. We have reservations in May for TPA-DTW-NRT-SIN on all Delta metal.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:30 pm

Location: Any of the Following PDX SFO IAH YUL HPN CDG SYD WLG AKL
Programs: AA GLD 1MM, DL DM, UA 1K Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador , Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That's a good question. It would be useful to try to figure out the various combinations:

1. regional or long haul

2. coach or business

3. KE-coded or DL-coded

4. KE-ticketed or DL-ticketed

5. Fare buckets that are eligible vs. those that are ineligible.
​​​​​​​Probably a good idea to include Booking channel, as I had no trouble booking seats when going through Corporate Travel Agency portal even on a DL coded ticketed SFO-ICN-SIN rt shortly after the JV started when others were complaining about no seat selection
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:18 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
My DL award ticket in biz, (CTS-ICN-SFO), I'm able to pick my seats on DL.com without issues. I wonder if they will stick though.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: Asiana Diamond+, Qantas Gold, Virgin Gold
The situation is frustrating. Being SIN based and having flown KE several times on TPAC flights in the last year, my current strategy is this:

1. Once ticketed and you have the KE PNR, you can usually log in to select your seats on KE's website. Note that once you've done this once, you won't be able to do it again.

2. If you are unable to select (or change) a seat, create a Korean SkyPass profile for yourself and add the reservation to it. From that point forward, if you log in to manage your booking through your profile, you can see and change seat assignments.

3. At check-in window open or any time thereafter, you can log on again and begin process to finalise your seat preference.

4. Before finalising check-in, call Korean to re-update your frequent flyer number to DL (assuming you have status to be recognised and / or want to earn to DL account). Unfortunately this cannot be done online before or at check-in.

5. Return to check-in and complete process. (You won't be able to change seat again once your DL number has been re-added.)

The above is certainly needlessly clunky and time-consuming, but is a workable fix until this is addressed.

A few other notes:
- As noted by others, forward economy cabin is blocked until check in (or a few days before), but I've always seen plenty of good seats open at check-in.
- An award ticketed on DL and operated by KE seemed to allow me to reserve seats on DL's website, but didn't stick on KE, so take note of that.
- I've never been reassigned once choosing my seat (10-12 flights in the last year), so hopefully this isn't widespread.
- I've been greeted on every TPAC segment by FAs thanking me for flying with them.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:49 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by navigator4309
- An award ticketed on DL and operated by KE seemed to allow me to reserve seats on DL's website, but didn't stick on KE, so take note of that.
IME it sticks, as long as the seat is confirmed and not just requested (seat status) on dullta.com. To find out will it stick, just exit your PNR on dullta.com and bring it up again. If you still see your selected seat and it's confirmed, it's good. If it's lost, it won't stick for that reservation.

Just you can only select seats further at the back, as you rightly pointed out.

So basically if you want to be able to easily select your KE seats, just don't book any revenue tickets, and stay away from any DL KE-operated codeshares. Just book X/O (award) fare classes (remember, max 2 pax per flight can be in X, max 1 in O), and then the process is easier, plus it's good to burn the SlyMiles anyway.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 1K//DL Plat//Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by davidlhanson
The long layovers is Seoul is the main reason but the problems of dealing with both airlines is another.
I love the layovers in ICN. One of the nicest airports no matter how busy it is. Nap room, showers, museums, tours. It's all in the eye of the beholder I guess.

For my flights on KE metal booked through DL I flew SYR-ATL-ICN-TPE. The ICN-TPE segment was on KE, and I wasn't able to choose my seats until really close. So Premium Select didn't help that matter. I just have come to expect it with KE segments on DL booked tickets...not ideal though.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: AA PLT UA GLD
Dl ticket, DL coded, KE operated ICN-HAN in X class as part of a longer trip with transpac in revenue W class. Booked via travel agent at published fare.
Unable to select seat assignments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.