Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Can I get Medallion Status with this situation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2018, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A List, CP, Hertz Gold, Mich Season Tkt, HH Diamond

Hello, long time lurker. I've got all the different statuses with WN. I'm looking at switching over some of my travel to Delta. I live in BWI area, so WN is convenient.
This whole sky miles stuff is confusing as hell. MQM, MQS, MQD, wow, could they make it more confusing? Here is my situation. I fly BWI to DTW 10 times a year. I would also fly BWI to other places a few times a year.

I would normally fly 1/2 the time in coach and half the time in paid first class. I could put up 100K - 150K on a delta credit card per year. (moving that money form a Hilton cc and a southwest cc)

Will I be able to get medallion status with this situation? I could possibly put more miles on a delta card if needed.
Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 2:36 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
BWI-DTW round trip is 1000 MQM.

If you spend 100k on delta cards, you can get an additional ... 50k MQM IIRC? 15k for the reserve card at $30k spend, another 15k at $60k, then 10k each at $25k and $50k? In any case, it's around that amount.

So that gets you 60k MQM and the MQD waiver. That gets you gold status.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
I'd add gold is probably worth it for you, so go for it. You should be upgraded fairly regularly on BWI-DTW for those flights you don't opt to buy F
Old Sep 30, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Both the DLAX Platinum and DLAX Reserve cards also get you one free companion certificate annually upon RENEWAL -- i.e. you will get the cert after the first year of membership. The Reserve certificate is good for a free domestic first-class companion ticket. The Reserve card also gives you Sky Club access. If you're going for DL status, the AX cards are perfect to easily get you to Platinum Medallion (PM) status with Delta.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 6:53 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by NeilGoBlue
Hello, long time lurker. I've got all the different statuses with WN. I'm looking at switching over some of my travel to Delta. I live in BWI area, so WN is convenient.
This whole sky miles stuff is confusing as hell. MQM, MQS, MQD, wow, could they make it more confusing?
Welcome to the DL forum! In my opinion MQM/MQS/MQD are one of the less confusing aspects IMO, so buckle in

In addition to what others have said, if you are currently A-List you could do a status match/challenge to Silver (or if A-List Preferred you can match to Gold).

DL page: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...challenge.html

related FT thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...ve-thread.html

note that, as with Medallion qualification itself, a successful status challenge requires satisfying both a flight requirement (MQM or MQS) as well as a dollar-amount spent requirement (MQD)

DL operates out of the D concourse at BWI. There is a tiny Priority Pass lounge on the other "fork" of the concourse, if you have any CCs that give you access to that.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Great advice from everyone. Thanks a a lot.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:59 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by pvn
BWI-DTW round trip is 1000 MQM.

If you spend 100k on delta cards, you can get an additional ... 50k MQM IIRC? 15k for the reserve card at $30k spend, another 15k at $60k, then 10k each at $25k and $50k? In any case, it's around that amount.

So that gets you 60k MQM and the MQD waiver. That gets you gold status.
You should also consider what you are hoping to get out of DL status. If you are buying FC half the time anyway, you would really only get benefits from the other half of the time on a short flight. In my opinion, the 100k annual credit card spend could be more wisely directed toward another card like CSR.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Putting $100,000 spend on a DL Reserve card and a DL Plat AmEx credit card will also get you 100,000 DL redeemable miles for the spend plus 100,000 bonus redeemable miles when the MQMs are earned. In addition, you get 2 extra miles per dollar spent on DL tickets, in addition to about 8 (estimated as it depends on your status at the time of travel) per dollar spent on DL fares, so this is just about enough for an annual D1 RT ticket if you're very flexible about dates and routes.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by third_wave
You should also consider what you are hoping to get out of DL status. If you are buying FC half the time anyway, you would really only get benefits from the other half of the time on a short flight. In my opinion, the 100k annual credit card spend could be more wisely directed toward another card like CSR.
That is a great point. If I'm going to fly full paying F a good portion of the time, is there any real reason to try to get medallion status? I have Recheck and Clear, If I'm flying first class, I get to board early, etc. There is no real reason, right? The only real benefit would be to pay for coach and then get upgraded to first class?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Elite phone lines, better IROPs handling, protection against IDBs (which are extremely rare anyway), etc. Elites in FC can be treated better than nonelites in FC.
Rhinolicious likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:04 pm
pvn
Suspended

How much better can they treat you on IAD-DTW?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:05 pm
pvn
Suspended

one thing that you actually get is more RDM.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 11:13 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Elite phone lines, better IROPs handling, protection against IDBs (which are extremely rare anyway), etc. Elites in FC can be treated better than nonelites in FC.
+ Waived SDC.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by third_wave
In my opinion, the 100k annual credit card spend could be more wisely directed toward another card like CSR.
Agreed - if your $100k is mostly travel, that's 300k points on the CSR, with much better redemption options than DL's inflated SkyMiles redemption levels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.