Search

DL to launch BOS-LIS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2018, 12:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
DL to launch BOS-LIS

This was a rumor that first surfaced last week and is now confirmed. Delta BOS-LIS on 757-200* has been loaded and is bookable. Seasonally from May 23rd:

DL124 BOS 21:45—09:15 LIS
DL125 LIS 10:45—13:15 BOS (return starts the 24th).

*They will be using a non-D1 configured 757 with domestic F seats sold as Premium Select.

Pretty impressive how DL is growing BOS internationally. LIS will join DUB, AMS, CDG & LHR. Some suspect that as DL gains the current gates WN uses in A next year there will be more TATL growth to supplement JFK. ATH is widely being talked about.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Wow, I'm really glad to see DL is trying these new routes. And it adds to the relatively small list of SkyTeam ways to get to LIS.

A while back, I think I recall Ed Bastian mentioning they wanted to get the entire Terminal A at BOS back. It would be nice, because the upper A gates get very busy in the evening IME.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by FSUnole03
*They will be using a non-D1 configured 757 with domestic F seats sold as Premium Select.
Ouch. At 3192 miles, this route is 199 miles longer than the BOS-DUB route, and they use D1 757s on that route.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 5:42 pm

So DL will compete against TP (who flies widebodies with lie-flat or at times angle-flat) and S4 (domestic F and one-stop at PDL but dirt-cheap fare, even the premium cabin).
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Their selection of a 75H or 75G (ETOPS, domestic F) among just 20 in the fleet suggests they don't think they would find people willing to pay for lie-flats. That, or they think they have uniformly higher yielding routes for 75S and 767s.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 2:41 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Ouch. At 3192 miles, this route is 199 miles longer than the BOS-DUB route, and they use D1 757s on that route.
I suspect there are more real Business travelers on BOS-DUB than BOS-LIS ...
manacit likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
It definitely beats backtracking from CDG or AMS if one wants to fly a W type product or avoid Air Europa from the US northeast. Less pitch but more width than the 350 PE. Given the Portuguese community in metro Boston, it probably fills a niche although I could see it eventually going to 4x/week (1356 eastbound) at certain times of the year.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I actually think this is both good and bad. Good in that there is another TATL option is on the table and that DL seems to be getting traction on travel to LIS. It concerns me though that they are using a non-D1 plane on this route. If this proves successful we could see even more erosion of D1 in thin routes while fare remain at D1 rates. I'm not suggesting this WILL happen, but I think this is going to be a test of what the market will bear and represents DL's decision to compete with the European ULCCs offering TATL service by offering the same hard product.
Pianoman109876 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
I actually think this is both good and bad. Good in that there is another TATL option is on the table and that DL seems to be getting traction on travel to LIS. It concerns me though that they are using a non-D1 plane on this route. If this proves successful we could see even more erosion of D1 in thin routes while fare remain at D1 rates. I'm not suggesting this WILL happen, but I think this is going to be a test of what the market will bear and represents DL's decision to compete with the European ULCCs offering TATL service by offering the same hard product.
They have been doing this already. Places like KEF and PDL have already seen 757s with domestic F as PS. Pretty simple, do y'all want low yielding places like LIS served non-stop from the US or do you want to double connect in AMS/CDG?

and FWIW every time I have looked the fares were not what i would suspect for D1.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My impression is that LIS is generally a low yielding route, although with the Portuguese community in the BOS area and a domestic 757 available, it's an interesting experiment. The schedule looks reasonable.

OTOH I don't want to connect in BOS for TATL flights as the flight times are too short to get a good night's sleep.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
FWIW every time I have looked the fares were not what i would suspect for D1.
Not sure what city you are originating in. When I look from ORD/MDW the fares are quite high to sit in a domestic F seat for several hours.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Looks like the ATL-LIS flight on DL is being dropped in place of this new addition.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by kavok
Looks like the ATL-LIS flight on DL is being dropped in place of this new addition.
Interesting, good catch. I wonder if the opportunity cost was too high to make the use of the 763 w/ D1 on ATL-LIS versus the BOS-LIS non-D1 752.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:42 pm

Cases like this are exactly why I don't understand why my fellow American's are getting raked over the coals on domestic airfare, obviously due to lack of competition, and no one cares.

I can fly in "domestic F" on a 7 hour flight for $800 [this BOS-LIS PE fare], and I recently booked a trip DTW-SFO in coach, 1 month out, for $1200.
I can fly SFO to FRA for $550 with a bag and overhead bin access, and it costs me $1400 to go to CHS.

Frustrating, our lack of competition.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:02 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
I checked the fares and they are astronautically out of sight for the service offered.

Just who is going to fork out these fares compared to the competition?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.