Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Amex platinum card and Amex delta gold card

Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Here is my question to ask for your opinions

I have both Amex platinum and Amex delta gold credit card, and I am a delta silver medallion. For next year, I will definitely keep the Amex platinum card. My question is whether I should still keep the Amex delta gold credit card or downgrade it to a amex delta blue credit card. My concern is that if I do this, maybe my priority in seat upgrading will become lower. Based on your experiences, what do you think?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by jingh04
My concern is that if I do this, maybe my priority in seat upgrading will become lower.
Why?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Only the DL Reserve Amex has any impact on upgrade tiebreaking.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the reply! The upgrade scheme of delta is still not clear to me. It seems that it is not purely determined by how frequently you fly, what medallion you are; but may also be influenced by whether you hold delta credit card. Thus, I am a little concern that losing the amex delta gold card will make my name lower in the upgrade list.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

I got it. Thank you!
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jinglish
Only the DL Reserve Amex has any impact on upgrade tiebreaking.
Got it! Thank you!
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The main things you will give up as a Silver if you dump the DL Gold Amex for the Blue Card is the option to Pay with Miles for flights, and the MQD exemption (if you spend >$25K on the card).
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
I think a different question you should ask is whether you should dump both the Amex Plat and Amex Gold for a Delta Reserve. If you fly DL enough, the Reserve card may give you a tiebreak here or there, and if you don't fly other airlines enough, then Skyclub access might be satisfactory. If you don't fly Delta much, just keep the Amex Plat for broader lounge access and you might not care about Pay with Miles or the $25k waiver.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by daloosh
I think a different question you should ask is whether you should dump both the Amex Plat and Amex Gold for a Delta Reserve. If you fly DL enough, the Reserve card may give you a tiebreak here or there, and if you don't fly other airlines enough, then Skyclub access might be satisfactory. If you don't fly Delta much, just keep the Amex Plat for broader lounge access and you might not care about Pay with Miles or the $25k waiver.
Given I fly mostly domestic, and exclusively Delta, the Reserve card is a great value. Every time I fly I am typically connecting which means 4-6 sky club visits with lots of food & booze. This year, according to the tracker on Delta that's only updated once a month, I've visited the sky club 36 times.

Definitely worth it for that alone, but the free first class companion certificate is the cherry on top.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:34 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Delta lays it out clearly (see below). Only if you charge $25k on the current cards you have/are considering does it help you.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...s.htmlPriority

As Silver you're not likely to get upgrades at all, so probably doesn't really change much even if you had the Reserve Card.

Complimentary Upgrade Hierarchy
1 Medallion Status
2 Fare Class Groupings: higher-priced fares are ranked above lower-priced fares
3 Delta Reserve Credit Card Members
4 Delta Corporate Travelers*
5 Card Members who earned the Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQD) Waiver in the current calendar year1
6 Date and time of upgrade request
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The card OP is considering (Delta Amex Blue) has neither MQD waiver feature, nor Pay with Miles benefit. Both require DL Amex Gold or higher.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:55 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
I can’t fathom why, if you’re going to get a DL branded card, anyone would get anything either than the DL Platinum or Reserve cards. The DLAX Platinum is only $200/year and you get more benefits, plus the companion certificate. Additional cards are free.

For another $300, the Reserve card nets you SC access, tie-breaker status, and a free F companion ticket.

With both, you get extra checked bags and higher priority boarding, plus concierge services. Then, of course, there are 20K and 30K MQM boosts, respectively, which takes your from lowly FO to GM.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Gators300
Given I fly mostly domestic, and exclusively Delta, the Reserve card is a great value. Every time I fly I am typically connecting which means 4-6 sky club visits with lots of food & booze. This year, according to the tracker on Delta that's only updated once a month, I've visited the sky club 36 times.

Definitely worth it for that alone, but the free first class companion certificate is the cherry on top.
Question: Where is that tracker? Is it only for Reserve-card holders? (My Skyclub access is through my Amex platinum and/or skyteam elite plus status when I'm flying internationally, so maybe they don't have a widget for me?)
Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's under My Skymiles and says "New: Skymiles Credit Card Rewards". Don't know if it's only for Reserve Card holders. I have a Reserve Card, but also have a Sky Club membership which I use for lounge visits. The benefit tracker for the card only shows lounge visits when you use the Reserve Card for entrance, so it shows zero for me.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: DL 2 MM
Originally Posted by Gators300

Where is this tracker on the website? Searched around and couldn't find it - that'd be easier than my personal tracking spreadsheet.

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.