Community
Wiki Posts
Search

spouse reservations using miles?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Question spouse reservations using miles?

Hi - my husband has an American Express Delta credit card. It gives him a free bag each flight, some priority seating and the same for anyone on the flight with him. I am a sky miles member but do not have the credit card. I have some of my own miles built up. Is there a way for me to use my miles for my flight but still be on the same reservation # with him. I hate to pay the fee for my luggage if I don't have to.
Thanks for any ideas. I think this is a long shot, but hoping!
Sue
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Is he flying with you? Shouldn't be an issue.

If he isn't you'll have to pay.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
Is he flying with you? Shouldn't be an issue.

If he isn't you'll have to pay.
I think the OP is trying to pay for a flight from two different accounts but be on one ticket/PNR. If that's the case, the short answer is no. You can transfer miles from your account to his, but I believe this is cost prohibitive.

If you end up purchasing two different tickets, your husband will get a free checked bag, more if he has status. Maybe he can check your bag if he isn't checking one?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Silver, UA Plat
Reservations have to be together for his card benefits to apply to you. Any chance you can book separate tickets and let him check the bag for you or does he also have a checked bag?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

We are flying together. If we make the reservation as one confirmation number will they let me pay my part with miles and his part on the credit card?
Not sure how else to do it.
Sue
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by sueoz
We are flying together. If we make the reservation as one confirmation number will they let me pay my part with miles and his part on the credit card?
Not sure how else to do it.
Sue
To my knowledge, pay with miles will only apply to the whole PNR - You can't "select" which passenger to use it for.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. It's what I expected, but you never know!
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by Weekend Away
I think the OP is trying to pay for a flight from two different accounts but be on one ticket/PNR. If that's the case, the short answer is no. You can transfer miles from your account to his, but I believe this is cost prohibitive.

If you end up purchasing two different tickets, your husband will get a free checked bag, more if he has status. Maybe he can check your bag if he isn't checking one?
Thanks I for sure understood wrong.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by dcadwell
To my knowledge, pay with miles will only apply to the whole PNR - You can't "select" which passenger to use it for.
I don't think the OP actually meant she wanted to use the Pay with Miles option, she wants to use miles for her entire ticket. Mileage tickets and paid tickets
cannot be booked on the same PNR.

As far as free checked bag for you on a separate PNR. Even though technically, you are supposed to be on the same PNR to get the free checked bag, baggage
agents will generally look the other way if you check in together.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Agents can waive your fees, As long as you checkin together and fly the same flights.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by sueoz
No.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Agents can waive your fees, As long as you checkin together and fly the same flights.
This. It won't be possible for you to be on the same PNR, but if you check-in together with an agent, they will likely waive your fee. Just ask nicely and explain that you wanted to be on the same reservation, but it was impossible.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Another thought is to maximize his bag waiver and use a bigger bag than you intended, but only check the one bag, up to 50 pounds. 50 pounds is a lot, and with only one bag, the larger bag won't be as heavy as two separate suitcases.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.