Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Determining Fare class

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Determining Fare class

I cannot for the life of me figure out the fare class on this itinerary. I booked via VS. It is marketed VS and flown DL on all 4 segments (LAX-JFK-LHR-ATL-LAX). Economy fare on VS but I can't determine which level.

I'm need to figure out if this is going to be a decent run for me to maintain status. I need approx 9k MQMs and $1260 MQDs.
Base FareUSD648.00Carrier-imposed Surcharge (YQ)USD130.00United States - Immigration and Naturalization Fee(Immigration User Fee) (XY)USD7.00United States - Passenger Civil Aviation Security Service Fee (AY)USD11.20United States - Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service Fee (APHIS User Fee - Passengers (XA)USD3.96United States - Custom User Fee (YC)USD5.65United Kingdom - Air Passenger Duty (APD) (GB)USD102.10United Kingdom - Passenger Service Charge (UB)USD58.80United States - Passenger Facility Charge (XF)USD13.50United States - Transportation Tax (US)USD36.60Total AmountUSD1016.81
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:14 am

Log in on delta.com with your filekey, the reservation will show the booking classes there.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by fuyao
Log in on delta.com with your filekey, the reservation will show the booking classes there.
What's a filekey?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Weekend Away
What's a filekey?
Think he means PNR. None of what you post matters. Pull up reservation on VS website. There'll be a one letter code that shows for fare class.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you get an email confirmation for the booking on VS? My most recent trip has the fare classes listed in the email confirmation. Subject line is "Virgin Atlantic Airways e-Ticket" with the itin number in it. Booking class is listed under each flight segment -- "Economy Delight ( V )"
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
With Delta reservations, I almost always get upgraded to C+ right after booking (being DM), so fare class will show S (or SU?) on the app or online. Only when I look up my original ticket can I see the booking fare class.

Good news with VS, your MQM accrual will be at least 100%, so roughly 12,050 miles (or better depending on class bonus)
Bad news is that your MQD spend will be at best 25% of your fare price.

Check out the details here:
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-partners.html
- scroll down to Virgin Atlantic
- expand
- click on the first box (Mileage earn on/after April 10, 2018)
where you'll see that economy class (booked via VA) earn 5%-25% on Delta Sky Miles.

I think file key is some systems way of meaning "booking code" (confirmation number)
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BHammy
With Delta reservations, I almost always get upgraded to C+ right after booking (being DM), so fare class will show S (or SU?) on the app or online. Only when I look up my original ticket can I see the booking fare class.

Good news with VS, your MQM accrual will be at least 100%, so roughly 12,050 miles (or better depending on class bonus)
Bad news is that your MQD spend will be at best 25% of your fare price.

Check out the details here:
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-partners.html
- scroll down to Virgin Atlantic
- expand
- click on the first box (Mileage earn on/after April 10, 2018)
where you'll see that economy class (booked via VA) earn 5%-25% on Delta Sky Miles.

I think file key is some systems way of meaning "booking code" (confirmation number)

Right on MQM's, wrong on MQD's. MQD's are calculated as percentage of distance flown, not fare price (see footnote 3). I earned around 5500 MQD's on a VS LAX-JNB trip in Economy Delight (V fare) back in May (which cost substantially less than that). There's also no automatic upgrades on VS flights (including DL operated flights that are marketed by VS), so you don't have to worry about the class changing online.
ryw and BHammy like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 26, 2018 at 9:23 am
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:23 am
Original Poster

It finally populated in my Delta app and is showing as a V fare. If my math is correct, 12,061 total miles flown which should net around $3k in MQDs and 15k in MQMs. Total fare price was $1016. I’d need to position myself for this one adding more MQMs and MQDs.

I’m also looking at AUS-ATL-MEX-CUN-MEX-SLC-AUS in biz (D and I) on AM for $632 with 6,625 miles flown netting $2650 MQDs and 9937 MQMs.

OR

LAX-PVG or MCO-DTW-PEK via DL metal for around $700ish with a positioning flight needed so I can easily get the MQDs necessary on this as well.

Not sure what to do.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
Right on MQM's, wrong on MQD's. MQD's are calculated as percentage of distance flown, not fare price (see footnote 3). I earned around 5500 MQD's on a VS LAX-JNB trip in Economy Delight (V fare) back in May (which cost substantially less than that). There's also no automatic upgrades on VS flights (including DL operated flights that are marketed by VS), so you don't have to worry about the class changing online.
could you elaborate on what you mean by the class changing online?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cute_lil_bmw

could you elaborate on what you mean by the class changing online?

DL uses SU/RU classes for complementary upgrades to C+/F and those classes will show on DL marketed flights on delta.com (instead of the original booking class) after being upgraded. Since VS marketed flights are not eligible for complimentary upgrades (even when operated by DL), it's a non-issue when booking VS marketed flights.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:00 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Is there somewhere on the Virgin Atlantic site that shows fare class when booking? (Or is there somewhere that more specifically maps what fare classes economy light/classic/delight get booked as?) I'd like to be able to try to calculate MQMs and MQDs when looking at VS marketed flight options, but can't seem to figure out what classes VS is booking me in before making the purchase.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
DL uses SU/RU classes for complementary upgrades to C+/F and those classes will show on DL marketed flights on delta.com (instead of the original booking class) after being upgraded. Since VS marketed flights are not eligible for complimentary upgrades (even when operated by DL), it's a non-issue when booking VS marketed flights.
Oh okay. I see what you’re saying. If an upgrade is applied then it would no longer show the original fare.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryw
Is there somewhere on the Virgin Atlantic site that shows fare class when booking? (Or is there somewhere that more specifically maps what fare classes economy light/classic/delight get booked as?) I'd like to be able to try to calculate MQMs and MQDs when looking at VS marketed flight options, but can't seem to figure out what classes VS is booking me in before making the purchase.
VS Economy Delight flights are always V booking class (just like DL Comfort+ flights are always W booking class). They have different underlying fare classes on the fare code (just like W on DL), but it's the booking fare class that determines the earnings. The "Fare Breakdown" link has the fare code. The second to last letter in the fare code indicates type of Economy fare -- B for Economy Light, M for Economy Classic, C for Economy Delight (DL uses the same letters to distinguish between Basic Economy, Main Cabin, and Comfort+ fares).
ryw likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 26, 2018 at 12:31 pm
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:59 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LBJ
VS Economy Delight flights are always V booking class (just like DL Comfort+ flights are always W booking class). They have different underlying fare classes on the fare code (just like W on DL), but it's the booking fare class that determines the earnings. The "Fare Breakdown" link has the fare code. The second to last letter in the fare code indicates type of Economy fare -- B for Economy Light, M for Economy Classic, C for Economy Delight (DL uses the same letters to distinguish between Basic Economy, Main Cabin, and Comfort+ fares).
Great, thank you - the decrypting of the fare code is what I was looking for!
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:43 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Originally Posted by LBJ

Thank you for that correction, LBJ! That puts a whole new out look on my VA flights this fall which has the same footnote.
Will get 360 more MQD$ than expected...at the lovely "joint venture" rate of 10% of mileage

Last edited by BHammy; Sep 26, 2018 at 10:01 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.