Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

9/25/2018 Delta Systems Outage - Consolidated Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
Timeline (all times EDT) for Delta "Technology Issue"
18:45 - "Technology issue" occurs (this time is approximate based on Tweets starting at 18:50)
18:54 - First FlyerTalker post about the issue
20:30 - Delta acknowledges issue in statement
21:20 - Issue resolved

Delta's statement (with updates)
News coverage: Delta ‘Technology Issue’ Grounds Flights and Customers
More news coverage: Delta ‘Technology Issue’ Temporarily Disrupts Travel and Enrages Customers
Print Wikipost

9/25/2018 Delta Systems Outage - Consolidated Thread

Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:33 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
DL needs to get their sh*t together. How many times is this going to happen?

Glad I just finished multiple weeks of traveling and don't fly until October. Then a whole bunch again.
Investing in ugly purple uniforms was more important the last three years.
MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
DL needs to get their sh*t together. How many times is this going to happen?

Glad I just finished multiple weeks of traveling and don't fly until October. Then a whole bunch again.
You recognize that Delta could have a 2-hr shutdown every week and still have greater fraction of flights on-time than AA or JetBlue, right?
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 4:49 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by Tom45
Another view of the problem:

Is that an image of their disaster recovery policies?
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but car rental pricing is based on 24-hour days (with usually a 30 minute grace period). Merely having the car when the clock strikes midnight does not incur an extra day charge.
It did in my case, I checked.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is it an extra day charge or a case of the rates changing between weekend and weekday. There typically are strict windows regarding when rental cars must be picked up and when they must be returned in order to obtain the weekend rates.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is it an extra day charge or a case of the rates changing between weekend and weekday. There typically are strict windows regarding when rental cars must be picked up and when they must be returned in order to obtain the weekend rates.
Fair point - it's more likely that.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by vincentharris
I wonder if DL will acknowledge 30+ year old software and hardware as the problem or if they will try to blame Georgia Power again???
In the previous two problems scenarios for Delta, the "old" mainframe systems were continuously available. It was "new" technology that failed. The problem for all airlines today is their employees are increasingly reliant on fancy front end systems. When they fail, only the older staff can effectively get things accomplished.

As for the "blame Georgia Power" comment, there was pretty clear evidence that there was a failure at the airport outside of the control of any of the local airline's systems.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:08 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by xooz

As for the "blame Georgia Power" comment, there was pretty clear evidence that there was a failure at the airport outside of the control of any of the local airline's systems.
Are you referring to the fire in the tunnel at Hartsfield with the power outage? If so then this is not what I am referring to with Delta, but yes that was outside anybody's control.

When Delta had its giant meltdown that stranded everyone for days one August (2017 or 2016 I cant remember which) they tried to claim it was a power surge caused by an outage or who knows that Georgia Power created. Georgia Power had a press conference with lots of graphs and charts showing that DL was lying and had no surges or interruptions in service around their infrastructure and hence "throwing GA power under the bus"
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:13 am

Sorry, I was thinking about the fire in the tunnel. That said, even in the Aug 2017 situation, the old mainframes were up and running. The failure then affected other environments as I understand it. Still, in the end the impact was unacceptable.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by vincentharris
Are you referring to the fire in the tunnel at Hartsfield with the power outage? If so then this is not what I am referring to with Delta, but yes that was outside anybody's control.

When Delta had its giant meltdown that stranded everyone for days one August (2017 or 2016 I cant remember which) they tried to claim it was a power surge caused by an outage or who knows that Georgia Power created. Georgia Power had a press conference with lots of graphs and charts showing that DL was lying and had no surges or interruptions in service around their infrastructure and hence "throwing GA power under the bus"
Vincentharris is correct. With respect to the earlier power surge that knocked Delta's computer systems offline, what happened is this:
Delta's switchgear failed (with a fire) and created a surge, which knocked out their mainframes and the back-up generators. Switchgear is housed in an room, is customer-owned, and connects the utility (Georgia Power) with its customer (Delta). This is old-school building infrastructure belonging to Delta that failed spectacularly. Not Delta's computers, back-ups, nor Georgia Power. Somewhere at Delta is a facilities manager who deserves being fired. Perhap's an IT Manager, too. But not for "his" systems, but failing to ask about the reliability of Delta's power systems and the potential for a single-point failure.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You recognize that Delta could have a 2-hr shutdown every week and still have greater fraction of flights on-time than AA or JetBlue, right?
How is 'it could be worse you should fly AA' make it OK?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by acrophobia
Public service announcement: prior to this outage, I had two cleared GUCs and two waitlisted. My cleared GUCs are still fine, but the waitlisted GUCs are no longer in place. Check your accounts... I don’t plan on calling this in until tomorrow afternoon at the earliest, but it’s obviously worth being aware of.
Thanks for the tip. I called today to check on the RUCs that I had applied on a domestic flight. It turns out I was still waitlisted for both the outbound and inbound. However, when the agent checked, he said he could clear me for the inbound even though there were more seats available on the outbound(32 vs. 20). So, I finally got confirmed for an upgrade. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.