GIG-ATL: EBP, lounge

Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
GIG-ATL: EBP, lounge

I will do GIG-ATL (DL #60 ) next month. Will I be able to get EBP for the return flights (GIG-ATL-OKC)? If not, is there another way to get a BP beyond waiting for the DL counter to open (like print from the web)? I assume working kiosks are only in place when the DL counter has staff.

What is the ST lounge like at GIG? Is it anything like GRU or is it better to go to a PP lounge?

This is a late night departure (10:50 pm) and I will be coming over from the JW Marriott Rio de Janeiro. I should be able to go to the Marriott lounge after a late check-out (4 pm) but am weighing the options to pursue at that point.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
I've done flight #60 four times in the last 18 months. Here is what I know....
- DL counter opens three hours before flights
- Due to documents checks and random security questions asked by DL staff, I don't think the kiosks are of use to you.
- The GOL lounge is past security and is open to Delta passengers. It is excellent. It's the last lounge and is a long walk (but you're headed toward the gate anyway).
- There is a lounge in the parking garage (name=?) that is "OK", but not great. I think it costs about $20. I once spent 6 hours there as I had to check out of the Rio hotel by noon.
Xeno likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Very helpful reply. Thank you.

If I got it right then no EBP due to DL's rules so I am stuck with the 3 hour window to get on my way to the GOL lounge.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My experience was NO OLCI for flights exGIG on DL to the USA. IIRC I got fairly far into OLCI before getting a message that I was legally required to check in at the airport. Be sure to allow lots of time for traffic jams, etc.

On my Rio trips, DL used the lounge operated by its partner GOL, which was really the main floor and a second floor (below, I believe, as I think it was windowless) that was much less crowded of a lounge shared among carriers in a new part of the international airport. AA used a different floor of the same lounge and there was a common (!) big reception desk at the entrance where we were directed to the correct lounge within a lounge. It wasn't much, but it was better than waiting in the terminal. I remember some sparkling wine (not champagne, probably cava, although there are some inexpensive good sparkling wines from South America) and cold snacks. Everything was self service. Lavatories were located on the main floor and a bit hard to find.
Xeno likes this.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Sep 26, 2018 at 8:02 am Reason: typos
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
...,big reception desk at the entrance where we were directed to the correct lounge within a lounge.
Not anymore. All the airlines now have separate lounges, with their own receptions.

Once again, the GOL lounge is excellent.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:17 am
Original Poster

I am back in Rio after spending a few days in Vitoria for a conference. I flew GOL GIG-VIX-GIG and very much like the GOL domestic lounge, much like the one I used at GRU two years ago.

I am looking forward to the GOL international lounge at GIG tomorrow night but am still frustrated that I will not be able to get an EBP and so must wait for the DL counter to open.

Flying GOL domestic meant getting EBPs two days prior to departure. It was much the same recently when I flew China Airlines HKG-TPE-HKG. BTW, GOL is ST and I entered my DL # but not sure if SM and MQMs will register for these short flights here in Brazil.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are you sure GOL is a full member of SkyTeam? AFAIK GOL is a DL partner but not a SkyTeam member. OTOH, I recall SkyPriority signage at their domestic check in areas, so maybe they are fully in SkyTeam and not just a DL bilateral partner.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Are you sure GOL is a full member of SkyTeam? AFAIK GOL is a DL partner but not a SkyTeam member. OTOH, I recall SkyPriority signage at their domestic check in areas, so maybe they are fully in SkyTeam and not just a DL bilateral partner.
You are right as they are not listed on the ST web.

Having EBPs I had not gone to their counter, but thought they were ST because of asking for my ST number to get an EBP. Then I noticed when boarding today that the door to the 737 listed DL, KL, and AF. And finally that I used a GOL lounge in GRU when flying DL and will do the same tomorrow night here in GIG.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 5:35 pm

DL uses GOL lounges in Brazil as their contract lounges for D1 passengers departing from GIG and GRU. AFAIK GM+ flying in coach (SkyPriority) don't get access, but I've always been in D1 so I've never tested it.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 4:23 am
Original Poster

As expected, I got all the way through OLCI ready for EBP but my iPhone said they are not available that I must use a kiosk.

I switched to using a browser on my iPad Pro and it showed me boarding passes that I could print. At the moment, it appears that the Copacabana JW Marriott cannot give me access to a computer with internet and printer as they suggested sending a file to them to be printed.

I have a screenshot of the boarding passet on my iPad Pro and I took a photo using my iPhone. Since the screenshot-photo has the barcode will that be enough to get me through the maze to the lounge or must I still wait for the DL counter to open? The Marriott is going to print my screenshot )sent by email to them= as if a paper copy would be treated differently.

Is the Kiosk only working when DL is actively open at the check-in counter? Since I can print the boarding pass then that means DL is letting me bypass the extra security check unless they would then do this at the gate.

Last edited by Xeno; Oct 29, 2018 at 4:40 am
Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:35 am

If you were connecting from another carrier at GIG, I would expect that there would be security questions at the gate. This is the way it works at SIN, for example, and at that airport, the DL kiosks open only when the DL check in counter is staffed. At SIN, you must do the security questions before going through passport control. I would vaguely expect the same to be true at GIG, but I have no personal experience with this in Brazil.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:16 am

DL uses GOL lounges in Brazil as their contract lounges for D1 passengers departing from GIG and GRU. AFAIK GM+ flying in coach (SkyPriority) don't get access, but I've always been in D1 so I've never tested it.
I’m a Gold and I fly coach regularly from GIG to ATL. SkyPriority does have GOL lounge access at GIG. It’s an excellent lounge.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

My Uber driver got me back to GIG from the JW Marriott much faster than the guy that did the reverse route yesterday.

I got here 2 hours before the announced opening of the DL gates and already there was a long line of people waiting outside the ropes. I noticed active Kiosk so I went over and printed my BP out of curiosity with no problems.

However, when getting through all the hops I returned to the printed version of the screenshot from my iPad and I never had a problem at any point along the way. I am now in the impressive GOL lounge waiting for the cue to board.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Xeno
.... I am now in the impressive GOL lounge waiting for the cue to board.
Glad it worked out. Have a great flight. Any questions concerning maneuvering from Intl to domestic at ATL?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RRDD

Glad it worked out. Have a great flight. Any questions concerning maneuvering from Intl to domestic at ATL?
I do that several times a year and find ATL the easiest USA airport for this transition.

My frustration is that since my screenshot worked, that DL should have given me an authentic EBP. I have the screenshot on my watch but it shows both flights (GIG-ATL-OKC) and I decided not to test that here may might do so in ATL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.