Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Checking baggage through final destination on two separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checking baggage through final destination on two separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
As others have noted, anything beyond the official policy depends on the agent. I flew ATL-LHR on DL and then LHR-MAN on BA, separate tickets. The agent checked my bag through to MAN. (I must have been exceptionally charming that day ) Everything worked without any glitches. I found it humorous that BA baggage handlers presumably saw the yellow ST priority tag on my bag and treated it like OW priority - my bag was literally the first on the belt at MAN.

While it may be hard to remember, there was a time when there were no alliances or "close partners" - airlines interlined bags every day. It may be less common now, but it isn't really any big deal.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by ecaarch
As others have noted, anything beyond the official policy depends on the agent. I flew ATL-LHR on DL and then LHR-MAN on BA, separate tickets. The agent checked my bag through to MAN. (I must have been exceptionally charming that day )
You must have been James Bond charming, with the baggage fairies watching over you. My luggage would probably end up in Man, Cote d'Ivoire (even though BA doesn't fly there).
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:05 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
what about the other way? Flying VS from LHR-LAS then transferring to a Delta flight on separate tickets.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:19 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by holocker
what about the other way? Flying VS from LHR-LAS then transferring to a Delta flight on separate tickets.
As in other I-D cases even though they will through check, you have to be certain customs allows the bags through without having to physically sheapheard them.

In this case, as in all US I-D, you have to claim and recheck in Vegas.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by exwannabe
As in other I-D cases even though they will through check, you have to be certain customs allows the bags through without having to physically sheapheard them.

In this case, as in all US I-D, you have to claim and recheck in Vegas.
It doesnt matter if you must pickup. If it's tagged whole way, can simply drop and go. Also wont need to pay bagged fees again.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I know I need to pick the bags up at customs and drop them off after clearing customs. I am just trying to figure out if Virgin Atlantic will tag them all the way through so I don't have to go out from the international terminal back to the delta terminal to recheck the bags.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
There are really two questions here: Do you have to pick up your bag at the stop, and if yes, can you drop it CLOSE TO WHERE YOU PICKED IT UP. Delta will gladly put tags on to your final destination if you are on a partner airline as an earlier poster mentioned. If you enter the US, you always have to pick it up at the first port of entry. However if you have a connection that involves a different terminal you may have to lug it there - for example Delta does not have a bag drop after customs in Chicago.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by thesaints
In a similar occasion, JFK-ZRH-MXP, I was told my bag was going through to MXP, but then it was instead delivered in ZRH and it was only thanks to a series of fortunate circumstances that I saw it on the carousel and took care of the transfer myself.
In that case, though, there was perhaps the additional issue of going through customs; maybe in my present case everything will be easier with a domestic connection point.
Would need more details to understand what happened here. Did the original luggage tag have MXP as the final destination? Does Switzerland require bags to clear customs (as the US does) when the Swiss airport is merely a transit point to another country?
Old Jul 23, 2019, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Would need more details to understand what happened here. Did the original luggage tag have MXP as the final destination? Does Switzerland require bags to clear customs (as the US does) when the Swiss airport is merely a transit point to another country?
Switzerland and Italy are both Schengen countries. Immigration would be done in ZRH, but customs in MXP.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Switzerland and Italy are both Schengen countries. Immigration would be done in ZRH, but customs in MXP.
then the bag was misdelivered or improperly tagged.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 4:02 pm

I'm flying to Uruguay on a 2 ticket itinerary that looks like this:

Ticket 1:
AM LAX-MEX (DL operated)
24 hr layover in MEX
AM MEX-GRU
all in J

4 hr layover in GRU

Ticket 2:
G6 GRU-MVD
in Y

Ideally, I'd like to short-check my bag to MEX rather than let it sit at the airport for 24 hours, but check it all the way through the next day from MEX to MVD. The second best scenario would be to check it from LAX-MVD (I can bring a change of clothes in my carry-on). It seems like as long as I have G6 boarding pass in hand, I'd be able to do a sterile transfer at GRU in that situation and not have to clear customs.

Is it even possible to check it all the way through from LAX or MEX to MVD given 2 separate tickets? There's plenty of buffer time in this itinerary so not worried about that as much as losing the bags.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No need to short check your bag. With a 24-hour connection (stopover?), DL will not check through.

For the second part, please double-check the carrier. G6 is a local carrier in Guinea Bissau. Doesn't seem to operate this route.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
No need to short check your bag. With a 24-hour connection (stopover?), DL will not check through.

For the second part, please double-check the carrier. G6 is a local carrier in Guinea Bissau. Doesn't seem to operate this route.
LOL GOL (G3)...it's been a long day. The GOL flight we are taking is actually an Aeromexico codeshare, but it seems like it might come down to the gate agent at MEX?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mpomega
I'm flying to Uruguay on a 2 ticket itinerary that looks like this:

Ticket 1:
AM LAX-MEX (DL operated)
24 hr layover in MEX
AM MEX-GRU
all in J

4 hr layover in GRU

Ticket 2:
G6 GRU-MVD
in Y

Ideally, I'd like to short-check my bag to MEX rather than let it sit at the airport for 24 hours, but check it all the way through the next day from MEX to MVD. The second best scenario would be to check it from LAX-MVD (I can bring a change of clothes in my carry-on). It seems like as long as I have G6 boarding pass in hand, I'd be able to do a sterile transfer at GRU in that situation and not have to clear customs.

Is it even possible to check it all the way through from LAX or MEX to MVD given 2 separate tickets? There's plenty of buffer time in this itinerary so not worried about that as much as losing the bags.
If connection is greater than 23:59 than DL, nor any agent will through check bag for you. You will have to pick up at MEX. It doesnt matter if it's one ticket or two, when greater than 23:59 there is no through check.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
If connection is greater than 23:59 than DL, nor any agent will through check bag for you. You will have to pick up at MEX. It doesnt matter if it's one ticket or two, when greater than 23:59 there is no through check.
Thanks! Our connection is something like 23 hrs and change, but the way we packed our carry-ons, good either way

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.