Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Change flight to "connect" via final destination

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change flight to "connect" via final destination

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Assume there are no rules about connections, indirect routing and SDC. Just assume that for a minute for a discussion.

Then, you buy a ticket that starts in LAS and ends in LAX. The airline agrees that once you board, you will end up in LAX. Maybe they even let you fly from LAS to JFK to MIA to SEA to LAX. Does not matter.

BUT, no matter how many cities you go through, once you get to the agreed DESTINATION, then the airline is done with you. They completed their contract to get your from point A to point B.

Why is it so hard to understand that once you arrive at the ticketed DESTINATION that it is done. Over.
CPMaverick and hi55us like this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by tomst
On United, I've same-day changed SFO-PDX to SFO-EWR-PDX, and then to SFO-EWR-SFO-PDX right after boarding the SFO-EWR flight for free, but no idea how Delta handles this.

Yes. But everyone of those examples still went from the original ticketed origination city (SFO) to the original ticketed destination (PDX). That never changed. If you had somehow arrived in PDX during all these swaps, the ticket would be over/used/done.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:51 am

I'm impressed everyone held on so long in this thread.

OP I have one secret tip that will make you crazy:
- As a PM, this won't work. However, if you had more status, like as a DM, the secret DM agents can do this. So basically you gotta get a higher status first. Source: Am DM.
hi55us likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: DL - PM
Most likely IBTL, but OP, I'd be shocked if you can pull this off but if you do, please let us know!
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Often1
G and A are not F. F is F. OP says he is in F. If means G or A, then he will be subject to the fare rules for what he is booked into.

F is fully refundable (even after the flight has departed).
If the OP had a FULL F ticket, there would be no need to make changes as SDC or to wait until the travel day since FULL F tickets get "free" changes at any time.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo
Its a slow day what can I say.
hi55us likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the OP had a FULL F ticket, there would be no need to make changes as SDC or to wait until the travel day since FULL F tickets get "free" changes at any time.
Full F fares still have routing rules. They tend to be more liberal than the discount F fares (which often require non-stop routing), but they are still there. Full F fares on LAX-LAS allows connecting in SLC, but no other hubs. Discount F fares require non-stop routing on this route.

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 24, 2018 at 10:52 am
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LBJ
Full F fares still have routing rules. They tend to be more liberal than the discount F fares (which often require non-stop routing), but they are still there.
Of course, although I seriously doubt that even a FULL FFF fare would have routing rules that permit travel between LAS and LAX via JFK,CDG/AMS/LHR, or TYO/ICN.

My point is that since the OP is asking about SDC rather than ticket changes, it's a good bet that this isn't a FULL F fare.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
If you had your own jet, you could do it.

Let that hat be a lesson to you. You should fly private. That, and you don’t have to endure the parade of wretched, disabled masses board before you.

DISCLAIMER: For those with humor disabilities, the above is strictly tongue-in-cheek.
hi55us and VXforever like this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Clearly you are more of an expert than any of us based on your unwillingness to accept our answers, so please, do start wasting your time calling DL and let us know how it turns out.
I'm not unwilling to accept your responses. I just see holes in their reasoning.

Believe me, my time calling DL will most certainly not be wasted.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by tomst
On United, I've same-day changed SFO-PDX to SFO-EWR-PDX, and then to SFO-EWR-SFO-PDX right after boarding the SFO-EWR flight for free, but no idea how Delta handles this.
UA is notorious for this -- it's great. I've done similar with them on LAX-SFO, changing it to LAX-EWR-SFO via their SDC app (which unlike Delta's actually works well). But UA transcon p.s. isn't as nice.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
UA is usually strict on routing rules. However once you made it to EWR, going back through SFO was ok. I've done plenty of SDC backtracking through a hub again.

It defies logic that the question was asked, muchless asked seriously.
1) UA is not strict at all on routing rules if you make SDC changes via the app. In fact, the app seems to throw routing rules out the window. On the phone, however, they are beyond strict and frequently invent fictitious rules to deny reasonable requests.

2) I don't know how my question defies logic. Please hold back the rudeness.

Originally Posted by Often1
OP is free to ask an agent to reroute him as he seeks. The answer ought to be "no" but it is free to ask. Rather than debating whether some agent wants to help OP enough to put his own job at risk is not worth the debate. Maybe such a person exists.

The largest problem OP faces is that he holds a ticket LAS-LAX. Whether he could route LAS-xxx-LAX is a different question than whether he can route LAS-LAX and then add on additional segments once he has been delivered to his final ticketed destination. What OP seeks is a change, not a SDC and that would be dealt with under the fare rules which would presumably price this as whatever the route prices at. As he is booked in F, no change fee.
I'm not seeking to add on additional segments once I'm delivered to my final destination. I'm asking about proactively adding them before I take the flight.

Originally Posted by BearX220
OP seems to believe the airline is like a city transit system: pay once, travel wherever. You can do what OP wants on the New York subway, but not here.
Lol. You are not as wise as you think you are.

Originally Posted by FlyerWx
Hey OP, please let us know how it goes. Just don't do it with checked luggage.

I want to know how surprised someone is when you say "you know how I want to go to LAX. Yeah, can I go to LAX, but then add LAX-JFK-LAX for 'reasons' "
1) Why do you say "just don't do it with checked luggage"? Are you being facetious knowing that the purpose of this proposed trip is to move personal belongings? Or are you suggesting that checked luggage could pose a problem (like an agent checking me in seeing the routing, or the possibility of the bags getting lost with so many connections)?

Originally Posted by pvn
stop wasting everyone's time with this baloney.
Excuse you? This is a serious question.

Originally Posted by Zorak
The UA app/website have been known to offer all sorts of out of the box SDC possibilities that you probably would not be able to get from an agent, see the UA SDC thread...
Correct. My question is, in essence, whether DL agents can offer similar out of the box SDC possibilities like the UA app does.

Originally Posted by Gig103
I'm no expert either, but why would you ask for LAS LAX JFK LAX instead of just LAS JFK LAX? the latter gets you your stuff to California too.
I could do LAS-JFK-LAX if I had to, but some of the jerks above mock me for even proposing that.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo

OP I have one secret tip that will make you crazy:
- As a PM, this won't work. However, if you had more status, like as a DM, the secret DM agents can do this. So basically you gotta get a higher status first. Source: Am DM.
You are dead wrong -- as a PM things like this can (and have) worked. Don't berate me for not having DM status; while DM status may help, I assure you it is not necessary to my request.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ordhater
Most likely IBTL, but OP, I'd be shocked if you can pull this off but if you do, please let us know!
I will keep you posted.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by VX N281VA
Ok, so I see the theoretical case behind what your saying. I buy LAS-LAX, and once i fly LAS-LAX, the ticket has been used. But in practice, why does the first stop at LAX have to terminate my trip? What's to stop people going to other airports after? Isn't this what multi-city tickets are for - where you have all the cities on ONE ticket?

I think you might be confusing tickets with segments. Are you saying there is something (a rule, or something in DL's computers) that automatically voids anything added to a ticket once the destinatio has been reached?
You're confusing segments and tickets with fare components. A SDC is valid over a single fare component--in other words, basis XNN07B valid for a one way ticket ticket in X class from point A to point B. You can SDC to any valid routing on that fare component (and often, as you've seen, to a reasonable but invalid routing on that fare component).

Multi-city tickets are just multiple fare components combined. You can SDC your flights on each fare component individually, but since SDC isn't done to a single "ticket" but rather a single fare component, the fact that you can book a multi-city ticket that passes through the same point more than once doesn't matter.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:42 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Of course, although I seriously doubt that even a FULL FFF fare would have routing rules that permit travel between LAS and LAX via JFK,CDG/AMS/LHR, or TYO/ICN.

My point is that since the OP is asking about SDC rather than ticket changes, it's a good bet that this isn't a FULL F fare.
Alright, I get that JFK is at least a little bit out there, but come on. Including CDG, AMS, LHR, TYO, and ICN? That's just hyperbole.

Originally Posted by SamOF
You're confusing segments and tickets with fare components. A SDC is valid over a single fare component--in other words, basis XNN07B valid for a one way ticket ticket in X class from point A to point B. You can SDC to any valid routing on that fare component (and often, as you've seen, to a reasonable but invalid routing on that fare component).
SDC is supposed to be valid over a single fare component, but it's not always done this way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.