Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Who's right, Delta or KLM? (Day of Departure GUC Upgrade Issues)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2018, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme

In the lounge at AMS at 9:30AM for a 1:00 PM (DL75) flight AM>ATL. I call DM desk and hear the good news -- GUC clears and I'm confirmed in D1. Agent reissues ticket, says there are 10 seats available in D1, but she can't actually select a seat for me because AMS is now in control of seat assignments. I go to Desk 5 in the lounge and request a new BP. Agent says D1 is over-sold and availability is minus-1 (I guess I'm the minus). After some back-and-forth between two CL desk agents, their verdict sticks. I go back to my chair and call the DM desk. Delta agent says "they're crazy" and there's plenty of availability, so I go back and speak to the same CL agents, who stick to their guns. DL agent asks to speak with them, but they refuse and say "we don't talk to them over the phone." Okay... so she tells me to tell them that they have reissued the ticket and to give them the new number, which they say they already have and but they can't assign a seat in D1 because they're all gone.

I HUCA and get a new DM desk agent who says I'm cleared and there's plenty of availability --

I'm really confused [insert witty comment here], but my gut says KLM knows what they're talking about and DL -- even though it's a DL marketed / ticketed flight on DL metal -- does not have a clue.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 4:43 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
In my experience, once the control of the flight has been turned over to KLM, DL does not see the correct seat availability. I believe that the reason for this is that DL and KL use different software for this (the GDS, or Global Distribution System). DL uses its inhouse system Deltamatic, while KLM uses Amadeus (I think). The hand over means that the status of the flight including the seat assignments gets loaded into Amadeus. All changes done after that are not mapped back into Deltamatic, which is why you cannot change your seats on delta.com after the 24h hour mark and why DL agents cannot see the current seat map.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Sounds like KL isn't correctly pulling inventory for upgrades. They upgraded people, but instead of selling as DL75 and updating DL75 they're updating KL6013. DoD KL handles operates via KL6013. However inventory should still be done via DL75.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 4:59 am
Original Poster

We’ll, KLM stuck to their guns and put me in 21B. According to the pilot announcement just one minute ago, the flight is completely full. Once airborne, I’ll sneak a peek in D1 to see if every seat is taken, but I assume it is.

I spent 3 hours on the phone this morning going back and forth between the DM desk and KLM lounge reps. I have the confirmation email that confirms me in D1 along with the DL006 ticket number.

I feel like Charlie Brown and Delta is Lucy with the football.

Screenshot for posterity:

Old Sep 22, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
What does this do to the GUC? Does the OP get it back?
Old Sep 22, 2018, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Weekend Away
What does this do to the GUC? Does the OP get it back?
I would have to think so, but I’m sure I’ll need to spend yet more time on the phone to ensure it does.

Also, just to prove the point, DL.com allowed me to purchase a one-way D1 fare at T-3 hours.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 5:30 am
Original Poster

LOL. Got this while airborne a few minutes ago from @Delta. They’re still insisting that there’s availability.

Old Sep 22, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
I know that this has come up tons of times here on FT, but the (lack of) seamless cooperation between DL and KL at AMS drives me crazy. For the number of flights that DL operates out of AMS, and the critical role it plays as a connecting hub for DL's TATL network, you'd think they'd be more focused on hammering out these issues. Sigh.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 6:21 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
DL was right KL is wrong. You should have been put in J that's all I will say. Looks like there is more to the story then the KL agents want to admit to. DL is always control of inventory regardless of system....seat assignments on the other hand is up to them.
MSPeconomist and AeRoSpaceman like this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cory6188
I know that this has come up tons of times here on FT, but the (lack of) seamless cooperation between DL and KL at AMS drives me crazy. For the number of flights that DL operates out of AMS, and the critical role it plays as a connecting hub for DL's TATL network, you'd think they'd be more focused on hammering out these issues. Sigh.
i agree. Talking to DL then talking to KLM, you’d swear we’re talking about two completely different flights. On right now with @Delta and they still have bad info. I know it’s far too late now as we’ve been wheels-up for over an hour now, but it has become more of an academic exercise for the experience in hopes to avoid this from happening again in the future.

I have three more AMS TATL trips booked this year. Fortunately, two of them are in D1. I have one stingey customer who refuses to pony up for J.

Miserly bass turd.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zsmith2
DL was right KL is wrong. You should have been put in J that's all I will say. Looks like there is more to the story then the KL agents want to admit to. DL is always control of inventory regardless of system....seat assignments on the other hand is up to them.
I wish it were that simple. D1 has a pax in every seat. Looks like poor info exchange between systems is at fault, as far as I can tell.

I presume I’ll be able to get my GUC back, but after that what, if anything, should I reasonably expect to get for this horror story (OK, maybe that’s overselling it).
Old Sep 22, 2018, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I would file for downgrade compensation via EU261. At a minimum you should get your GUC back and some significant compensation.

AMS has become a real nightmare lately.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I would file for downgrade compensation via EU261. At a minimum you should get your GUC back and some significant compensation.

AMS has become a real nightmare lately.
Is that possible? It was a DL R/T ticket bought in the US with the outbound leg originating in the US.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by TheHorta

I wish it were that simple. D1 has a pax in every seat. Looks like poor info exchange between systems is at fault, as far as I can tell.

I presume I’ll be able to get my GUC back, but after that what, if anything, should I reasonably expect to get for this horror story (OK, maybe that’s overselling it).
I can guarantee you it was not poor exchange between systems.
OHDL1, MSPeconomist and TheHorta like this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zsmith2
I can guarantee you it was not poor exchange between systems.
Do you think it was KLM making a buck by selling off the available seats?

I just got this from @Delta:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.