Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Who's right, Delta or KLM? (Day of Departure GUC Upgrade Issues)

Who's right, Delta or KLM? (Day of Departure GUC Upgrade Issues)

Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by TheHorta
If it were 50K miles, I might balk. For 10K it’s a no-brainer.

I presume its better to deal with this over the phone than at the E Concourse SC.
again, you need to file 261. The way to do this is via the complaint/compliments page on DL. You will just be wasting your time and that of the agents in the SC.

The fact that your ticket was again reissued into OY gives further support to the whole issue that you were upgraded then downgraded. It’s not incumbent on you as a rank and file passenger to understand why. Just tell them succinctly what happened and ask for downgrade comp aligned with 261 rules. I’ll bet you get it. And if you don't, you should at least get a much more clear explanation of what is going on and probably a lot more than 10K miles.
Often1, Kacee and TheHorta like this.

Last edited by PV_Premier; Sep 23, 2018 at 3:06 am
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Here you go sir, 75% of your GUC. Enjoy!
Compensation via EC261 doesn't seem likely to lead to much, since there was no cost associated with the upgrade.
No, EC261/2004 downgrade compensation of 75% applies to the cash part of the ticket as well.
If the ticket (segment) costs EUR 500 in Y + GUC -> DL has to refund EUR 375 + 75% of the GUC.
Ticket value is calculated according pro-rata great circle distance.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Delta has proactively contacted me who is also monitoring this thread and explained that, as some mentioned here, the DL desk agent erred in issuing the ticket inside the 24-hour window.

I can happily live with a mistake made in the course of trying to help someone out. Yeah, it created some confusion and a little frustration, but it was a learning experience, for sure.

Im likewise sure the original agent feels like any of us would were we in her shoes and probably have ourselves when we accidentally made something worse while trying to make things better.

So, with that, Im content with my lot and dont feel compelled to press the matter, and with their explanation I am still, overall, very satisfied with Delta.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
What is that word the DM desk used in post #15 , as "copacetic" ?

i
s it something like out of the derrier ?
That’s not a new word, but I haven’t heard it in a long time; I was pleased to see it.

Satisfactory, in good order, running well.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Delta has proactively contacted me who is also monitoring this thread and explained that, as some mentioned here, the DL desk agent erred in issuing the ticket inside the 24-hour window.

I can happily live with a mistake made in the course of trying to help someone out. Yeah, it created some confusion and a little frustration, but it was a learning experience, for sure.

Im likewise sure the original agent feels like any of us would were we in her shoes and probably have ourselves when we accidentally made something worse while trying to make things better.

So, with that, Im content with my lot and dont feel compelled to press the matter, and with their explanation I am still, overall, very satisfied with Delta.
It is good that DL acknowledged the error. No reason to berate an agent for an error and I am certain that DL keeps tabs on who makes lots of them.

Nonetheless, you as a passenger are due an EC 261/2004 refund. That has nothing to do with whether the agent made an error, did it you intentionally or a seat went INOP.
MSPeconomist and TheHorta like this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:55 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card

so in addition to the explanation, Delta gave you __________???
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Often1
It is good that DL acknowledged the error. No reason to berate an agent for an error and I am certain that DL keeps tabs on who makes lots of them.

Nonetheless, you as a passenger are due an EC 261/2004 refund. That has nothing to do with whether the agent made an error, did it you intentionally or a seat went INOP.
Good luck getting an EC 261/2004 refund! I don't see it happening, but you never know!
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
So a very similar thing happened to me two weeks ago only I was flying on a paid J ticket. Arrived at AMS and all the flights to the JFK were delayed. So I tried to move flights. I looked on delta.com and ExpertFlyer and saw that there were J seats available on the flight I wanted. KLM gate agent refused to put me on the flight saying it was sold out. I said, Delta is selling the seat (it was a DL operated AMS-JFK flight). Called Diamond line and they got me on the flight but just like the original poster, they could not issue boarding pass of assign a seat. Said go to the gate agent. Gate agent literally flipped out that I had been put on the flight. I was still on the phone with the Diamond agent and the KLM supervisor wanted my cell phone. I gave her the phone and she literally yelled at the agent for 3 min. I walked away still on the phone. The diamond line put me on a KLM flight and said go to my original gate and ask that agent. When I told the new agent about the yelling and refusal to change my flight despite the booking, thie new agent said she would accept the delta rebooking (I mean it is being sold onlne, accept???). She said the other agent had already put staff on the delta flight which is why she couldnt accommodate me. So the truth came out. KLM wants to hold seats for staff. Super bad customer experience and really cant believe Delta allows this. They hide behind KLM system vs Delta but the seats are being sold online so it is not that. I havent had time to write my complaint, but now I will. Delta needs to look into what the senior ground staff is up to at AMS. Losing the IRROPS ability to change flights while on paid J for staff travel is not cool.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This sounds really ugly. KLM staff at AMS deliberately adding employees to DL operated flights in D1 at the expense of DL DMs, some of whom have paid D1 tickets.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Welcome to the “synergies” and “benefits” we are all supposed to be reaping from the JV. As a frequent AMS traveler (here now in fact) this situation is super frustrating.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by CaliguyNYC
.... Delta needs to look into what the senior ground staff is up to at AMS. Losing the IRROPS ability to change flights while on paid J for staff travel is not cool.
This is just dirty pool on KLMs part. I cant imaging DL sustaining this relationship indefinitely if that happens with any frequency. Maybe they winked the eye for so long that KLM employees have become emboldened to the point its becoming routine.

Time for them to drop the hammer on these practices, and enforce a zero-tolerance policy.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In some sense, I'm not surprised: DL employees look out for their own (plus friends and family), so why should KLM staff be expected to behave differently, especially if they can help their own in a way that tends to impact DL rather than KLM customers? [Maybe some of them need to be educated about the JV and even reminded how PMNW once saved their airline, even if they didn't like it at the time.]
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:21 pm
pvn
Suspended

What's the policy for waitlisted GUCs clearing day of departure from AMS? Does KL get a list from Delta?

I mean, I get people are pissed about this but there's absolutely no confusion over the fact that DL agents shouldn't be clearing GUCs on day of departure and reissuing tickets.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by pvn
What's the policy for waitlisted GUCs clearing day of departure from AMS? Does KL get a list from Delta?

I mean, I get people are pissed about this but there's absolutely no confusion over the fact that DL agents shouldn't be clearing GUCs on day of departure and reissuing tickets.
KLM doesn't have a list as they don't do waitlists. Airport standby is not available on Delta operated flights originating from AMS (and CDG).
KL's DOD buy up programma is in effect. First come first served.

Wish DL agents could...just somewhat dissapointing that a random pax bumps a DM who may have waiting for weeks for his/her upgrade to clear.

Last edited by Grouchy; Sep 23, 2018 at 2:48 pm
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:43 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by CaliguyNYC
She said the other agent had already put staff on the delta flight which is why she couldn’t accommodate me.
Are these non-rev? positive space? "staff" is too vague to tell how crappy this is.

in any case, confirming what are almost certainly non-revs hours before a flight seems like a pretty shady move.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.