Wiki Posts
Search

Best Delta One Flight to FCO from SEA?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:34 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Best Delta One Flight to FCO from SEA?

Starting to plan a trip to Sicily and will be flying Delta One over to Rome. Wondering if there is a preferred flight from Seattle ( I know there will be a connection). I've been looking at the flight from DTW , but normally when we go to Europe ( on BA historically) we fly across the Atlantic before connecting.

Any thoughts on a route? Are all Delta One flights the same with regards to comfort and service?

Thanks.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by david55
Starting to plan a trip to Sicily and will be flying Delta One over to Rome. Wondering if there is a preferred flight from Seattle ( I know there will be a connection). I've been looking at the flight from DTW , but normally when we go to Europe ( on BA historically) we fly across the Atlantic before connecting.

Any thoughts on a route? Are all Delta One flights the same with regards to comfort and service?

Thanks.
I would either connect via LAX to Alitalia (to start your Italian experience early) or go via CDG/AMS on DL/AF/KL. Splitting up the trip with a long US domestic flight really hurts you in the jet lag, comfort and sleep department.

I prefer connecting in CDG over AMS because the aircraft serving the airport tend to be better, the AF lounges are better, and DL caters better wine onboard for CDG flights than for AMS. But the airport is a bit confusing and there can be lots of walking, so if you are mobility impaired you may prefer AMS.

Alitalia will be a polarizing option. They are in serious financial trouble and have been knocking on bankruptcy’s door for a while now. But their business class seat is excellent, and I really like how they do their meal service. And arriving directly into FCO would be nice. I probably would only consider them if traveling in the next six months or so, though. The point may be moot because I rarely see competitive pricing on their flights out of Seattle...

For DL flights the onboard service is similar on all transatlantic flights, except LHR/CDG get better wine selections. As far as seat goes, A350 > A330 > 777 >> 767, in my book.

AF onboard is excellent all around, but only if you get an aircraft with their BEST seat (new 777s and 787s). I am not sure what they are currently serving SEA or YVR with; it varies day to day so you will want to closely examine the seat map for any given flight you are considering.

Avoid KLM entirely TATL unless onboard a 787.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
All D1 seats are not the same, you should try to get the A330 if possible, or an Air France . I don't know your dates or price, but I picked a random week in March and found that there's a SEA-AMS-FCO route on the A330 and so I'd make that my first choice. To me in general I want to be in the longhaul component as long as possible.
BenA and manacit like this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Gig103
All D1 seats are not the same, you should try to get the A330 if possible, or an Air France.
AF only if 77, not the 380.
KL only if 74 (seats are new, but 2-2 upstairs and only a few are direct aisle downstairs) or 78. KL 77 and 330 are 2-2-2 in WBC.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
AF is supposedly using 777-200s from SEA-CDG. I'd do that--you could connect direct to Sicily from there and skip Rome. I have a slight preference for AF over DL, if there's not some stark difference in the aircraft on that particular route.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 12:17 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I personally really like AMS airport, and the SEA-AMS route is a good option in that it maximizes your time in D1, giving you plenty of time to sleep, even if meal service and settling in takes a couple hours.

Also, an added bonus for me is that Amsterdam is such a lovely city, and very easy to access from the airport if you want to do a stop over or even a long lay over, as the train ride is only about 20 minutes from the airport to the city center.

Paris is also (obviously) a great city, but much farther from the airport and difficult to access. Amsterdam is approachable and easy to enjoy even for just a few hours.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by mot29

AF only if 77, not the 380.
KL only if 74 (seats are new, but 2-2 upstairs and only a few are direct aisle downstairs) or 78. KL 77 and 330 are 2-2-2 in WBC.
I definitely agree on not the AF A380 on a flight of that length (maybe a day flight return?), but Google says it's a 777 from SEA.
But isn't the KL 777 the same seat as the 747? I liked that seat a lot. TBH I slept better on the 744 upstairs than the DL A330.

Edit: The idea of connecting in AMS/CDG and going right to Sicily sounds like good advice too.

Last edited by Gig103; Sep 22, 2018 at 3:45 pm
Old Sep 22, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I definitely agree on not the AF A380 on a flight of that length (maybe a day flight return?), but Google says it's a 777 from SEA.
But isn't the KL 777 the same seat as the 747? I liked that seat a lot. TBH I slept better on the 744 upstairs than the DL A330.

Edit: The idea of connecting in AMS/CDG and going right to Sicily sounds like good advice too.
KL 777/747 don’t have direct aisle access, which is important to a lot of folks. If traveling as a couple, these options can be a little more attractive.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by david55

Thanks.
Are you going on a paid ticket or an award ticket?
If on a paid ticket obviously you have access to all options, including partners with the only barrier being what you aren’t willing to pay or schedules you don’t want. If you’re using miles, you’re limited on what’s available with miles.

As others have mentioned, all Delta D1 seats are not the same. Most find the A330 far superior to the 767. Additinally, you may want to look at SEA-AMS/CDG-FCO as that will give you the longer flight in J while avoiding a domestic hop in a domestic F product (not that intra-Europe in J is better but here I think it’s better to get the longer segment - the TATL segment - in J). That’s another common sentiment on FT - try to get the longer flight on the aircraft with D1 so you have more time to sleep and enjoy the product.

There’s also VS (Virgin Atlantic) via LHR out of SEA then a connection to AZ as an option. I have an award ticket for FCO-JFK via LHR on AZ/VS coming up soon so it’s bootable as a single ticket.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
My preference isn't so much the seat - but direct aisle access. On the KL 74, there are 3 seats down stairs that are singles 1 and 4 A are window seat and there is a single in the center.
But I've had good experiences upstairs on the KL 74 even though it is 2-2. There is plenty of room to climb out of a window seat and like all upper deck 74s, I think it is really quiet.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I personally have a much easier time with jetlag if I can fly a late day departure from the west coast to Europe, then connect onward. Are you intending to visit Rome or just connect onward there? If the latter, I second the recommendation of avoiding it, and flying SEA-CDG-Sicily, to make your trip easier. CDG is not the most fun place to connect but IMO it's better than doing both AMS and FCO.

If you are visiting Rome before continuing onward to Sicily, I would choose SEA-AMS-FCO.

Personally I do not like KLM so regardless of what I did I would bias myself toward AF or DL.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:35 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

We are buying our tickets probably using the discount offered by AmEx Plat. card. I discovered that AF has a twice weekly flight non stop from CDG to CTA ( Sicily) . So it is looking more like we will be able to fly SEA-CDG-CTA.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Customs clearance at FCO can be a nightmare. I prefer to connect through AMS, BRU or CDG, clear EU entry there, and connect to FCO
Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by manstein58
Customs clearance at FCO can be a nightmare. I prefer to connect through AMS, BRU or CDG, clear EU entry there, and connect to FCO
Customs clearance is fine. It's passport control that backs up sometimes. Can say the same about recent experiences at AMS, though.

IMHO, the very best option is to find the shortest domestic connection to a non-stop. From SEA, that's SEA-LAX-FCO on Alitalia. I prefer that to having to wake up after crappy flight sleep to connect in Europe. However, 2nd best (again, my opinion) would be a TATL non-stop, SEA-AMS/CDG-FCO. The last option I'd opt for is a long domestic connection (e.g. SEA-NYC/BOS-FCO).
BenA likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by manstein58
I’d also add that other tiny Italian airports can be even worse. I once spent almost an hour waiting for two border agents to process just one Ryanair flight worth of passengers at Perugia, for example...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.