Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How much layover time in JFK from abroad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles

I am in the process of booking a flight on Delta(with Virgin Atlantic from MAN)from MAN-JFK-ATL-TYS. I dread the two stops but only have enough miles for that schedule. The layover in JFK is 1 hr 45 minutes to the next departure to ATL. Is that enough time?
Nancy
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That should be fine, with reasonable padding in case of a moderate delay on the inbound. The key gating item is clearing immigration upon arrival at JFK. It looks like you are based in the US, and if a US citizen, I'd highly recommend the Mobile Passport app on your smartphone (if you don't already have Global Entry). They have a special line for that which I don't think gets very busy (probably faster than Global Entry TBH).
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Just to confirm, this will be on one ticket, correct?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Yes, one ticket, bought w/miles. I am not familiar w/JFK and have read that 1 hr 45 minutes is cutting it close to get to the Delta flight. I did make the reservation and to be safe I will probably cancel it tonight. What would happen if I did get held up in clearing customs or getting luggage and missed my Delta connection to ATL? Would they consider that my fault? I have been trying to get a one-stop flight from MAN-TYS but as I only have 40,000 miles I am left w/the two stop flights. I would prefer the flight MAN-ATL-TYS but again, the mileage amount. In total, I do have enough miles for a roundtrip(I am going TYS-MAN and MAN-TYS but wanted to finalize the MAN-TYS first) but in three different accounts, each w/40,000 miles, so I am attempting to piece together my roundtrip w/a half decent schedule.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you missed the connection, Delta would accommodate you on the next available flight to Atlanta, and then your final destination. You should look at those schedules to know what they are, specifically, if you're on the final ATL-TYS flight of the day, that might require an overnight stay in ATL. Depending on the reason for the misconnect (i.e., if it's DL's fault), Delta may pay for a hotel. You may also be eligible for EC261 compensation.

It should not take you more than 30-45 minutes to exit customs/immigration in T4 if you have Global Entry or use the Mobile Passport app. You will then drop your bags off at the transfer desk, and head upstairs to clear security in T4 (if your ATL flight departs from T2 you can take a bus after security over, or alternatively you can walk outside, it's probably <10 minutes. Under normal circumstances you should be able to get to your departing gate about 60 minutes after arriving from MAN.

If you are not a US citizen then I would expect a longer delay in immigration. In that case, it's more risky, but it still may be the best option.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I would be reasonably comfortable with this given the frequency of JFK-ATL.
cmx likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
If you don't have Global Entry, 1hr 45 minutes is probably too short, especially if you have to change terminals. JFK is often crowded. I once arrived JFK around 5:30am (not peak time) and waited 1 hour just for passport check - could easily be longer during the afternoon peak when a bunch of flights from Europe arrive. Fortunately, all luggage was out by the time I cleared passport check. If you have to change terminals, add in more time to go to the Air Train (signs can be confusing), ride the Air Train, then re-clear security.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

I do not have Global Entry and do not have a smartphone so no mobile app. I could just keep the reservation and hope for the best and if I miss my flight take the next flight out of ATL. Or play it safe and cancel the reservation. I am surprised, the connection from TYS-MAN is one stop, good timing, good miles cost. But the return flight is higher miles with very bad connecting times. Some are offered as high as 24 hrs travel time, I had to reread the travel time to make sure I understood them correctly.
Thanks to all for your input. I realize now the decision to keep the reservation or cancel is now in my lap.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by nanp
I am in the process of booking a flight on Delta(with Virgin Atlantic from MAN)from MAN-JFK-ATL-TYS. I dread the two stops but only have enough miles for that schedule. The layover in JFK is 1 hr 45 minutes to the next departure to ATL. Is that enough time?
Nancy
Not comfortable, but doable. Because both flights likely are in Terminal 4 does not mean the transit is a snap.

Follow "Connecting Flights" signage out the Customs door and you will eventually fuse with the hoards making for TSA checkpoints at the very end of the departure counters. Delta's is the last and it's a long walk.

While TSA portals are on the same level, chances are you will be directed to the one upstairs, Pre-Check included.

My hunch is your ATL flight will depart B33 or a gate close by. Count on 7-8 minutes to manage the post-security retail maze, reach the actual gate area and hoof it to the very end of the concourse. The SkyClub sign is your clue. You should see 'straight-ahead' arrows every 20 yards. JFK is a zoo.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I would be reasonably comfortable with this given the frequency of JFK-ATL.
...that and the frequency of ATL-TYS and the existence of the 20:30 LGA-TYS non stop makes the possiblity of an ATL overnight remote. I wouldn't worry about this connection.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
For the seasoned traveler familiar with JFK, 1:45 is a breeze. Heck, they may even hit the SC for a quick bite and/or glass of wine.

For the uninitiated, it can be a bit daunting as terminal changes at JFK can be disconcerting. Even then, 1:45 should be ample time, unless you get the dreaded "SSSS" boarding pass or you win the "special screening" lottery.
wxman22 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Well, after two weeks in the Lake District and wanting no big concerns on the way back home, I opted to cancel my MAN-TYS flight paid for w/miles. In thinking outside the box, I believe I may book, with miles from one account, my flight to MAN(which has a good schedule), and while in Great Britain, attempt to book my flight back home. This could prove interesting, and/or expensive. I have never booked a flight while outside the U.S., should it be fairly straight-forward?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Well, after two weeks in the Lake District and wanting no big concerns on the way back home, I opted to cancel my MAN-TYS flight paid for w/miles. In thinking outside the box, I believe I may book, with miles from one account, my flight to MAN(which has a good schedule), and while in Great Britain, attempt to book my flight back home. This could prove interesting, and/or expensive. I have never booked a flight while outside the U.S., should it be fairly straight-forward?
Have you mentioned when your flight is? If it is sufficiently far in the future, a schedule change would allow you to change to a more favorable routing for free.

The fees on award tickets ex-Europe are often higher than a roundtrip. Furthermore, the cheapest tickets have a roundtrip and advance purchase requirement. So yes, I think it could prove expensive to wait until you are there to book the return.

I know MAN-JFK-ATL-TYS would have been on one ticket, but are you attempting to purchase this trip as two one-ways?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This will almost certainly be very expensive (whether with cash or miles). The lowest-level Delta awards pretty much universally have advance purchase requirements these days and any awards purchased last-minute will generally cost a large number of miles. As far as cash prices, one-way tickets will very often cost more than a roundtrip ticket on international routes. You should have stuck with your original itin. Even if you had missed your connection, there was a very good chance DL could get you home same day.
ijgordon likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 20, 2018 at 10:05 pm
Old Sep 21, 2018, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Be careful of flights that ORIGINATE in the UK often have high surcharges on AWARD tickets. But, if a RT that starts in the states, it might be less.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.