Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Calls Police on Customer Seeking Lost Baggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
DL BOS Baggage Agent Calls Police on Customer for Recording Exchange

Video:
#BaggageClaimBecky Calls Police on Black Woman for Asking to Speak to a Manager

Delta Lost Woman's Bag, Called Police on Her for Recording Poor Customer Service.

The bullet points are:
  • DL damages luggage of businesswoman who goes to BOS DL baggage customer service desk.
  • Customer service rep refuses to give the name of the manager on duty.
  • The customer starts to video record the exchange.
  • Customer service rep realizes she's being recorded and immediately calls the State Police.
  • Videotaping customer service is not illegal.
  • The customer departed before police arrived out of concern for her safety.
  • The customer believes racism played a part in the customer service rep's decision to call the police.
My only thought is this is reminiscent of the BOS PD incident when a flight was heavily delayed, customers started video recording the event and the GA demanded everyone erase the videos from their smartphones citing a non-existent law prohibiting anyone from video recording in the airport (some pax didn't erase their videos). PD apologized for the incident.

Last edited by Oakshadow; Sep 20, 2018 at 12:03 am
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond

Surprised someone hasn't picked this up. According to report Boston Police were called because a customer was filming bad service from lost luggage. As the article says, these days any dispute, argument or even questioning of airline personnel quickly escalates to a "security threat" or even "terrorism," https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2018/09/19/delta-lost-womans-bag-called-police-on-her-for-recording-poor-customer-service/
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Gold
I one day want a job where when I encounter an upset customer, I can just call the police and charge them with terrorism.

Even if they never are charged, I still wouldn't have to deal with them.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by dmac7273
I one day want a job where when I encounter an upset customer, I can just call the police and charge them with terrorism.

Even if they never are charged, I still wouldn't have to deal with them.

I'll try this tomorrow. Win-Win. Either it works or I'll get next week off-and the next week-and the next week-and so on ....
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DL should learn from UA: Calling cops to avoid dealing with customer service issues does not end well. If a DL customer is upset, there's a good chance that it's DL's fault. You don't call the police on your own customers if you want to have customers in the future.
ryw, strickerj, kthomas and 5 others like this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
What's the harm in taking a damaged baggage claim. particularly if the bag is truly ripped? They can always deny it later, if they find the it doesn't meet some criteria. The DL agents would rather stand around and joke about their customers. If someone is visibly upset, be empathetic and attempt to understand the problem calmly and reassuringly.

I'm so glad we have smartphones now,,..so some of these incidents can be recorded. In the past, it would have automatically been the passenger's fault.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I get that baggage CS is probably a pretty thankless job because you are primarily dealing with people who have lost or damaged baggage and they are upset, but that's no excuse to treat customers this way.

And I can't understand why a customer using a camera is perceived as a threat. The customer was not raising her voice or being disrespectful, she was just being assertive and asking for a totally normal thing when there is an issue: a manager.

In my experience, CS people avoid getting a manager when they know they've done something wrong.
kthomas, wrp96, angra and 1 others like this.

Last edited by jdrtravel; Sep 20, 2018 at 7:23 pm
Old Sep 20, 2018, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jdrtravel

In my experience, CS people avoid getting a manager when they know they've done something wrong.
+1. Just like beginning of month at DTW. She refused to get a Redcoat or manager. She hoped I'd just walk away frustrated. Found out agent already had been complained about 4 times that week.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
+1. Just like beginning of month at DTW. She refused to get a Redcoat or manager. She hoped I'd just walk away frustrated. Found out agent already had been complained about 4 times that week.
We can only hope that five is enough (to get her fired).
kthomas and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:05 pm

Without taking sides here, you have to be careful about recording. Some states have very broad prohibitions against secret recording - so-called two-party states. Exceptions for public meetings, police, are quite limited. However, if you upfront state you are recording, you can proceed and it is up to the other party to stop talking or leave.

Massachusetts's wiretapping law often referred to is a "two-party consent" law. More accurately, Massachusetts makes it a crime to secretly record a conversation, whether the conversation is in-person or taking place by telephone or another medium. See Mass. Gen. Laws ch. 272, § 99. Accordingly, if you are operating in Massachusetts, you should always inform all parties to a telephone call or conversation that you are recording, unless it is absolutely clear to everyone involved that you are recording (i.e., the recording is not "secret"). Under Massachusetts's wiretapping law, if a party to a conversation is aware that you are recording and does not want to be recorded, it is up to that person to leave the conversation.
ryw and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I wish in situations like this the videos started far earlier. They don't and never do but I would love to have the full video as we don't have the full story. I have had to visit DL baggage service 3 times. None were damage all were missing luggage. All 3 times there was at LEAST 2 other people talking to a DL CS rep and verbally assaulting them over the dumbest and most ridiculous things. Most of them are laced with swear words and asking the reps if they are stupid and how they are providing poor service.

The best was a damaged hard shell roller. The rep pulled up the EXACT BAG and the lady kept swearing at her that she paid more. That isn't the same bag and hers is a darker black color...

Should Delta have called the police? No... Did Delta call the police? No... I doubt it. Some employee did. This will be some bad PR For Delta for sure and they should train people better to not escalate to this level.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
DL assigns its worst CS employees to the baggage office. That’s my experience anyway.

Somebody has to do it, and these people are it.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
I wish in situations like this the videos started far earlier. They don't and never do but I would love to have the full video as we don't have the full story. I have had to visit DL baggage service 3 times. None were damage all were missing luggage. All 3 times there was at LEAST 2 other people talking to a DL CS rep and verbally assaulting them over the dumbest and most ridiculous things. Most of them are laced with swear words and asking the reps if they are stupid and how they are providing poor service.

The best was a damaged hard shell roller. The rep pulled up the EXACT BAG and the lady kept swearing at her that she paid more. That isn't the same bag and hers is a darker black color...

Should Delta have called the police? No... Did Delta call the police? No... I doubt it. Some employee did. This will be some bad PR For Delta for sure and they should train people better to not escalate to this level.
If some DL employee or contracted employee working for DL called the police, it's the same as DL calling the police because the employee or contractor is an agent for DL. Maybe it would be better for DL if we could say that DL called the police and make it sound like some anonymous computer was responsible for actually calling the police.
pvn, strickerj, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
The DailyMail has a slightly different version of the story. According to Daily Mail, the manager did arrive to speak to that customer, but was called away to deal with a medical emergency. The manager asked one of his staff to help the customer. The customer completed the form, but then insisted on getting the manager's name. That was when things went side way....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...k-manager.html

May be the agent was over reacting, but I did not know a manager's name is required on a damage claim. Last time my luggage was damaged by Lufthansa, the baggage agent gave me a form with only her signature. Does the Delta form requires a manager's signature?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:29 pm

If the customer spoke with a manager, it seems reasonable that he/she wants to note the name of that manager. For some staff member to refuse to disclose the manager's name seems worse than front line customer service agents deliberately covering their name badges. It doesn't matter whether any form required a manager's signature.
wrp96, nichelle, Spiff and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.