Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Wait / Don't Cancel [Existing Reservation]?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

I have a cheap R/T itinerary coming up to South America for well under $300. The intent of the ticket is for pure MR reasons.

Given the change/cancel fee is $300 for the INTL itinerary, if I don't want to fly this MR*, would I have to pay Delta for the difference? Clearly, this would be my first time changing/canceling flights with Delta. I assume I would not have to pay for the difference, but if I would have to, can I just no-show for the first flight?

Of course, the best scenario would be some type of schedule changes.

* really don't want to, since my status strategy has changed slightly - instead of aiming for DM (have DM's MQD requirement, but MQM has crossed Plat level only recently. Yes, I understand DM is much more valuable than PM, but I am still far away from DM on the MQM side, and my time to earn MQM the rest of this year is shrinking due to a number of reasons).
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
There is no benefit to changing or cancelling this flight. Hope for a schedule change or similar to get a voucher and just no show if that doesn't occur.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:20 am

Agreed with @ethernal
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:40 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Given the change/cancel fee is $300.....
What’s a “cancel” fee?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:41 am

I have a cheap R/T itinerary coming up to South America for well under $300.
Please tell .... what’s the route?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
You will not be charged extra money if you cancel the reservation. That said as already mentioned above you may be able to get a refund (not a voucher!) if there is a significant schedule change, a weather waiver affecting your route on the day of travel, or another disruption to the flights on the outbound day of travel. There is no benefit by proactively canceling this ticket just to free up the inventory for DL to resell it.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by RRDD

What’s a “cancel” fee?

Cancel Flight

No longer able to take your flight(s)? You can easily cancel your trip.
  • After the cancellation process is complete, any remaining value will be available to you as an eCredit
  • eCredits are issued per passenger and can be used for future travel on Delta Air Lines
  • A $300.00 cancellation fee will apply per ticket
  • Certain Trip Extras and seats are nonrefundable

Please tell .... what’s the route?
PIT - CTG via ATL
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion

Cancel Flight

No longer able to take your flight(s)? You can easily cancel your trip.
  • After the cancellation process is complete, any remaining value will be available to you as an eCredit
  • eCredits are issued per passenger and can be used for future travel on Delta Air Lines
  • A $300.00 cancellation fee will apply per ticket
  • Certain Trip Extras and seats are nonrefundable

PIT - CTG via ATL
it’s confusing but the $300 cancel fee only applies when you go to reuse the credit for another flight

so if your ticket was $500, we would be telling you to cancel it proactively because $500 less $300 still leaves you with $200 to use. As you state your ticket is less than $300, you would be in the red, thus there is nothing you really should do except what we have already stated with regard to schedule changes etc.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 5:38 am

PIT - CTG via ATL
Do you need a visa for a mileage run to Columbia?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Do you need a visa for a mileage run to Columbia?
No, but since I am not going, it's moot.

Originally Posted by PV_Premier

it’s confusing but the $300 cancel fee only applies when you go to reuse the credit for another flight

so if your ticket was $500, we would be telling you to cancel it proactively because $500 less $300 still leaves you with $200 to use. As you state your ticket is less than $300, you would be in the red, thus there is nothing you really should do except what we have already stated with regard to schedule changes etc.
Thanks!
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Do nothing.

If a substantial change, call and cancel for a refund.
If a substantial delay on departure date, cancel for a refund.
If the flight is cancelled, cancel for a refund.

If nothing happens, your ticket will be cancelled by DL and it will have no value. That's the end of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.