Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Raises Main Cabin Domestic Checked Bag Fee to $30

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Raises Main Cabin Domestic Checked Bag Fee to $30

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
My Skymiles Platinum card just became sooooo much more valuable. Now a family of 4 saves $240 round trip when checking 4 bags! haha
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:07 pm
Rd3

Programs: HH Dia, Marriott Titanium, AA Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ethernal
In fairness, $25 in 2008 (when bag fees were introduced) is $29.86 today 2018. But.. I still hate bag fees. They've made flying so much more miserable with the fight for overhead bin space.
As someone who flies WN quite a bit (A-List) who sees full overhead bins all the time, I'm not sure if free checked bags would even matter--I think people just prefer to keep their bags with them if they can.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Rd3
As someone who flies WN quite a bit (A-List) who sees full overhead bins all the time, I'm not sure if free checked bags would even matter--I think people just prefer to keep their bags with them if they can.
True. It depends on the route, if it's a business route, there is always a fight for the overhead bins since even those of us who can check 3 bags for free don't want to deal with checking a bag. If it's a leisure route, then people will actually check and there isn't a fight for the overhead bin. I've seen bins fill on legacy carriers even before baggage fees.

The only time the I've seen empty bins is when you were banned from bringing any liquids on board. It was great, you could board last any have room for your carry-on (I was commuting between two places and I had a full compliment of toiletries at each location, so no need to carry liquids.)
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
True. It depends on the route, if it's a business route, there is always a fight for the overhead bins since even those of us who can check 3 bags for free don't want to deal with checking a bag. If it's a leisure route, then people will actually check and there isn't a fight for the overhead bin. I've seen bins fill on legacy carriers even before baggage fees.

The only time the I've seen empty bins is when you were banned from bringing any liquids on board. It was great, you could board last any have room for your carry-on (I was commuting between two places and I had a full compliment of toiletries at each location, so no need to carry liquids.)
There has been plenty of room in the bins the couple of times I have flow G4 and F9. I wonder what UA's bins are like with no overhead for basic economy?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
In fairness, $25 in 2008 (when bag fees were introduced) is $29.86 today 2018. But.. I still hate bag fees. They've made flying so much more miserable with the fight for overhead bin space.
On the few times I have flown WN where 2 bags are still free i see people fight for overhead space and run out of space in the same time as DL. Even with free bags people seem to think they need to drag everything on the plane with them.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
The US airline industry today is definitely not a full fledged oligopoly
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
Why not allow carry-on eligible bags ot be checked for free at front of airport?

I am still waiting for an airline to announce that carry-on eligible bags may be checked for free at the front of the airport. If you can check them for free at the gate, why not allow them to be checked for free at the front counter? Seems like it is a win-win for everyone: speeds up security lines, eliminates hassle of gate agents having to deal with checked bags, speeds boarding, opens up more bin space for those who just have to have their bags with them, passenger can check their bag and then be free of it until they get to their destination. The only people who lose are stockholders in "Trial Sized Toiletries R us, Inc."

For the record, I am GM and I often check carry-on eligible bags out front, unless it looks like my itinerary may be subject to irrops.

Last edited by andrewk829; Sep 19, 2018 at 4:53 pm Reason: Misspelling
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Any wild guesses as to what percentage of bags actual incur the fee? Between status, Amex, and non-BE international fares I image the majority are flying without additional charge. Bag fees really seem more of an abstract carrot than an actual stick.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by andrewk829
I am still waiting for an airline to announce that carry-on eligible bags may be checked for free at the front of the airport. If you can check them for free at the gate, why not allow them to be checked for free at the front counter? Seems like it is a win-win for everyone: speeds up security lines, eliminates hassle of gate agents having to deal with checked bags, speeds boarding, opens up more bin space for those who just have to have their bags with them, passenger can check their bag and then be free of it until they get to their destination. The only people who lose are stockholders in "Trial Sized Toiletries R us, Inc."

For the record, I am GM and I often check carry-on eligible bags out front, unless it looks like my itinerary may be subject to irrops.
Because the reason for charging for checked bags is to help ensure that the overhead bins are full by stopping people from checking smaller bags they could carry on. Full overhead bins mean consistently fewer bags in the cargo hold which means more lucrative air freight. Delta wants the cargo hold full as much as possible: either with paid for bags or, even better, paid for cargo.
The Situation likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Because the reason for charging for checked bags is to help ensure that the overhead bins are full by stopping people from checking smaller bags they could carry on. Full overhead bins mean consistently fewer bags in the cargo hold which means more lucrative air freight. Delta wants the cargo hold full as much as possible: either with paid for bags or, even better, paid for cargo.
HAHAHAHA — thanks for the good laugh.

Perhaps also the ~$908m in bag fees they collected last played a role in the decision to charge for checked bags and then increase the fees steadily over time — this increase should lead to at least $175m+ in revenue without a single bit of additional cost or effort (based on last year’s $908m number)
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Duke787

Perhaps also the ~$908m in bag fees they collected last played a role in the decision to charge for checked bags and then increase the fees steadily over time — this increase should lead to at least $175m+ in revenue without a single bit of additional cost or effort (based on last year’s $908m number)
Yes, of course. But the person was asking why they wouldn't let him check a carry-on bag for free. And that is because they want the overhead bins full to make sure there is the maximum amount of space available for cargo (as well as reduce handling expenses). That's why I said they want the cargo hold filled with either paid bags or cargo.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Aligning with industry norms.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:37 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by Duke787

And it is not taxed by Uncle Sam as are the tickets/fares themselves.
SJC ORD LDR likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:34 pm

Its more than the amount,the fact that you need to keep track of the additional fees is an issue for me personally. I would rather pay $30 more on a ticket than be surprised that the baggage fee is $30. Again, most of the time, we forget to account for it in return...so essentially its +60$.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Rd3
I'm the opposite. Who wants to haul their luggage around ATL? It's much easier to check it and have it waiting for you when you arrive. If there is a sky club at my destination I'll usually go have a drink there and then my bag is waiting at the baggage office. No standing around waiting or squeezing by others to grab my bag off the belt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.