Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

UAL starts new boarding process...DL next?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAL starts new boarding process...DL next?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:51 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I'm often in the back as well since I buy a lot of last minute tickets. I've spent $1200 on a one way and ended up in a main cabin middle seat more often than most people in this forum would believe. I also end up there a lot since I tend to do a (much) higher-than average amount of SDC/SDS.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Having zones on the GDS does nothing on AS and the louse problem is much less severe there.

WN is really the only airline that has a civil boarding process and yet people think it’s a cattle call.

It’s far more organized and peaceful than any other one.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
The pillars have made a HUGH difference. Everyone has a place, there is order in boarding that was not there in the the free for all days.

yeah there still is spillage out to the corridor but that cant be fixed
I find they just confuse people unless the belts are used to separate out each into a lane. About 50/50 on if that's the case.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ethernal
I agree but will note that I doubt the majority of kettles have the Delta app installed.
I'm guessing the percentage is far higher than you'd expect. In an era when the supercomputer in your pocket has what's a pretty amazing amount of storage space, and many companies like Delta do a good job of telling you why an app is useful (track your bags! know about gate changes! and more!) there are plenty of people who will download the app even if it's for a one time trip or use of that company. I mean I've still got the Southwest app on my phone and I don't think I've flown them since something like 2014.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by pvn
Good lord, it takes a lot of chutzpah to complain about having to board early to get overhead space while at the same time admitting that you consume more of it than you're supposed to.

YOU are the reason you have to board early!
I get that - which is why I do put my bag under the seat unless sitting in regular Y. With a 30-31" seat pitch there is literally no place to put my feet in regular Y. Foot space is important (I just declined an "upgrade" to 1A on a 739 and moved back into coach because of the same issue). I'd be glad to pay a nominal fee for this "privilege". I don't know how I would fit into a regular Y seat without being able to put my feet forward underneath the seat in front of me.

Delta just needs to solve this once and for all and make passengers pay for carry-on bags too. Put a token fee on non-personal bags ($10-15 or so) and folks that don't really need them will stop carrying them on. It wouldn't solve the problem for every flight but it would significantly alleviate the issue (especially with the larger OHB they are putting into planes). Unfortunately this will never happen because (1) it demonetizes boarding and (2) means the potential for more OHB going out empty which Delta would view as a negative (due to less available cargo space).
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by beachmouse
I'm guessing the percentage is far higher than you'd expect. In an era when the supercomputer in your pocket has what's a pretty amazing amount of storage space, and many companies like Delta do a good job of telling you why an app is useful (track your bags! know about gate changes! and more!) there are plenty of people who will download the app even if it's for a one time trip or use of that company. I mean I've still got the Southwest app on my phone and I don't think I've flown them since something like 2014.
Based on the number of paper boarding passes I see and the number of downloads the Delta app has in the App and Play Store I am going to disagree with you. Sure, tons of occasional flyers have the app - but even more don't.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:40 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Delta just needs to solve this once and for all and make passengers pay for carry-on bags too. Put a token fee on non-personal bags ($10-15 or so) and folks that don't really need them will stop carrying them on.
That might help a bit but the people who are the biggest offenders are elites and would be exempt from the charges (and the FAs routinely look the other way anyway).
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by seat38a
PLEASE do not follow United. As someone who pays to fly upfront on United, this new boarding process is a complete slap in the face of premium cabin passengers. First/Business class passengers are in group 1 with all the platinums, golds and * golds. I think this is going to be interesting.
This explains the sh!t show that was UA boarding last Thursday, September 20 in KC (flying MCI-EWR).

I was in paid first class, seated near the gate, which was absolutely clogged with gate lice. The agent very methodically called:
"Pre-boards and disabled" -- 3 or 4 people boarded, wait 2 minutes.
"Global Services" -- 3 or 4 people boarded, wait 2 minutes.
"Military" -- 3 or 4 people boarded, wait 2 minutes.
"Families with children" -- 6 or 7 people boarded, wait 2 minutes.
"United 1-K" -- 3 or 4 people boarded, wait 2 minutes.
"Group 1" -- 50 people rushed the gate. Don't know how long she waited after this to move on to Group 2, I was able to board about fifth among the Group 1 scrum.

This is insanity. The airlines should board groups of around 15 people each group. With nine groups you get the whole plane, nicely apportioned. Namely, board the first class cabin (which was 16 seats) first after preboards -- you would have captured the three Global Services and four 1-K folks without the long, drawn-out pauses. Let the various identity groups board with their designated group rather than drawing out the process for 10 minutes before the "real" boarding begins.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by pvn
That might help a bit but the people who are the biggest offenders are elites and would be exempt from the charges (and the FAs routinely look the other way anyway).
Easy... don't exempt elites from the fee. As I said, it would never happen - but a boy can dream.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Put a token fee on non-personal bags ($10-15 or so) .

I doubt this would make a big difference unless the fee were higher than the checked bag fee, and I sincerely hope they don't try to start charging $35+ to put a bag in the ohb.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Originally Posted by fastflyer
This explains the sh!t show that was UA boarding last Thursday, September 20 in KC (flying MCI-EWR).

I was in paid first class, seated near the gate, which was absolutely clogged with gate lice. The agent very methodically called:
"Group 1" -- 50 people rushed the gate. Don't know how long she waited after this to move on to Group 2, I was able to board about fifth among the Group 1 scrum.

This is insanity. The airlines should board groups of around 15 people each group. With nine groups you get the whole plane, nicely apportioned. Namely, board the first class cabin (which was 16 seats) first after preboards -- you would have captured the three Global Services and four 1-K folks without the long, drawn-out pauses. Let the various identity groups board with their designated group rather than drawing out the process for 10 minutes before the "real" boarding begins.

Exactly. The system should know going in how many DM, PM, GM, F/C+ non-elites, Group 1, etc. there are.

Depending on the size of the plane, break it down into groups of 15 to 25 people. If that means separating DM and PM, so be it. Board them separately. If that means separating FO and AmexCC, so be it and board them separately.

Even better, the system should have a reasonable idea 24 hours out approximately how many of each group they are. The system should make a best guess at that time, and assign everyone a boarding group (say Zone A through K), and base that zone assignment based on how the passengers are aggregated for that given flight. Thus a GM might board in Zone D on one day, and Zone F in another depending on how many DM and PM there are.

It shouldn’t be that hard, and keeping the zones small and equally aggregated you won’t get as much gate lice of people trying to be the first ones in the one huge group.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by pvn
In theory there is ALREADY a limit of 1 item per pax in the overheads.

The offenders of this rule are almost invariably DMs.
Uhhh . . . no.

Just no.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by fastflyer

I thought I read that United 1K was going to be part of Group 1 w/ the FC, not ahead of it. But if they are calling out every group it is insulting to not give First its own thing ahead of Group 1.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
I thought I read that United 1K was going to be part of Group 1 w/ the FC, not ahead of it. But if they are calling out every group it is insulting to not give First its own thing ahead of Group 1.
1K (along with Plats) were already part of Group 1. It does indeed seem that they are moving 1Ks ahead of Group 1. I agree it is a little silly and unnecessary. But United treats its 1Ks well (better than Delta treats Diamonds in my experience) so I suppose it is just a continuation of that.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Plat, National Executive
I did as a good boy scout should do today and boarded up against the wall near my designated pillar on our ATL - BDL flight, today. We were all lined up for a while (seemed some amateur hour action was going on with pre-boards) and finally Premiums were called. We all begin to step forward between the permanent (and temporary DL column) and the wall in the line we made....except for Mrs. "Oh!" (which was the sound she made when we all started to move despite standing within leaning distance of the DL pillar). She remained stationary as we passed through.

There is no hope people. Pillars, cattle calls, reprimands. It's just never going to get solved until we bolt people in seats until their zone is called. (BTW, I'll happily stay bolted next to the kind bartender in Terminal B until called. Just taking one for the team, and all....)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.