Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

UAL starts new boarding process...DL next?

UAL starts new boarding process...DL next?

Old Sep 19, 18, 5:10 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Amex Plat, Hotels.com Gold, Hertz 5 star, WMATA smartrip card
DL needs to change the way the app works. When pre-boarding begins, the app sends a notification announcing "boarding." I think that tells a lot of kettles that it's their time to board even if isn't.

Also, the screens should be in MASSIVE FONT announcing which zone is boarding.
Old Sep 19, 18, 5:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, AA Gold, Alaska MVP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by koreanair720 View Post
DL needs to change the way the app works. When pre-boarding begins, the app sends a notification announcing "boarding." I think that tells a lot of kettles that it's their time to board even if isn't.

I agree but will note that I doubt the majority of kettles have the Delta app installed.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Sep 19, 18, 5:40 pm

I'm a fan of the pillars...
Old Sep 19, 18, 5:46 pm

Programs: DM, Marriott Life Platinum
Originally Posted by NoleATL View Post
I'm a fan of the pillars...
Pillars rock, but the “Tony Tuesdays” boarding could use improvement.
Old Sep 19, 18, 7:13 pm

Programs: HH-Gold, IHG-Plat, DL-DM
They should just board window seats first, middles and finally aisles.
really enforce the zones, now people just sneak in.
Old Sep 19, 18, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.27MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by Eddie98 View Post
They should just board window seats first, middles and finally aisles.
really enforce the zones, now people just sneak in.
AA tried this about 20-25 years ago (it actually had a name — “WILMA” — which reportedly stood for something like “Window Initally; Later Middle and Aisle”) ... iirc it lasted less than a year
Old Sep 19, 18, 7:34 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AAdvantage, US Airways Dividend Miles (Fmr), Northwest WorldPerks (Fmr)
Originally Posted by koreanair720 View Post

That only goes so far, though. For all the flights and traffic DL has at CMH (my airport), they've STILL never installed GIDS at their gates. (At least two gates (C54 and C55) have the automated announcements but, much as it seems to be at the hubs, they hardly use them at this point.)
Old Sep 19, 18, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR View Post
I think the best boarding process I've seen is the old NW process of first class, elites, and then everyone else.
It depends on the goal.

SJC ORD LDR is correct, the old NW process essentially randomized the order that most people boarded, and it was actually faster. During the "cattle call" portion of boarding, you'd have someone seated towards the front stopping the line briefly, then a bunch of folks further back, then another person seated towards the front, and another bunch towards the back, etc. It was totally counter-intuitive but it actually worked to reduce the total elapsed time for boarding by several minutes.

However, the current DL process allows DL to monetize boarding sequence. There are multiple levels of monetization, including DM separate from PM (encouraging striving for DM), DL Amex for "zone 1", etc.

NW went bankrupt. DL is making money.
RealHJ likes this.
Old Sep 19, 18, 8:00 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Much of the issue could be solved by changing three key features:

1- Have a big screen near the gate that shows which zone is boarding (some airports already have this) so that if you arrive late to the gate area or can’t hear the gate agent, it is obvious which Zone is boarding.

2- Renumber (or reletter to A, B, C, etc.) the zones with Preboards being Zone A, then F being Zone B, etc. there is way too much confusion by people who rarely fly who think because they have Zone 2 or 3 boarding, they will be the second or third to board. Make it obvious, and give each Zone a letter, even if zone 2 and 3 end up being in Zone G and Zone H.

3- The system should be able to tell if one particular group is too big, and if so, break that group in two. So If half of the plane is GM or above, board DM, PM, and GM separately. If a third of the plane is currently Zone 1, Board FO and then credit card holders in separate groups. Basically, if the groups are always kept small, there is not as much advantage to being first in your group. And DL should know before boarding starts approximately how well aggregated the groups are.
indufan likes this.
Old Sep 19, 18, 9:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by mnbp View Post
It depends on the goal.

SJC ORD LDR is correct, the old NW process essentially randomized the order that most people boarded, and it was actually faster. During the "cattle call" portion of boarding, you'd have someone seated towards the front stopping the line briefly, then a bunch of folks further back, then another person seated towards the front, and another bunch towards the back, etc. It was totally counter-intuitive but it actually worked to reduce the total elapsed time for boarding by several minutes.

However, the current DL process allows DL to monetize boarding sequence. There are multiple levels of monetization, including DM separate from PM (encouraging striving for DM), DL Amex for "zone 1", etc.

If you think about boarding order, if you do back to front, you have a bunch of people in the area that is called all trying to get their stuff situated at once and then when you call the group immediately in front of them, they are waiting for the previous group to sit down. Plus, you have people who come late and mess up the entire order. So, random works best.

But, you're right the current DL boarding process is all based off of status. I don't think it's a big deal for those in Prem though 1, but Zones 2 - 4 are all based on fare class and successive zone becomes more difficult to get a bag in the overhead bin. So, it's all about money.
Old Sep 19, 18, 9:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Mileage Plus Silver
PLEASE do not follow United. As someone who pays to fly upfront on United, this new boarding process is a complete slap in the face of premium cabin passengers. First/Business class passengers are in group 1 with all the platinums, golds and * golds. I think this is going to be interesting.
AeRoSpaceman and Gig103 like this.
Old Sep 19, 18, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp View Post
DL went bankrupt too, at about the same time, and they both reemerged from bankruptcy at about the same time. So did a lot of other airlines at that time...Keeping the DL name when the companies consolidated doesn't mean that they threw all the NW processes out and only kept the DL way. The DL way led to bankruptcy too.
BenA and Yellowjj like this.
Old Sep 19, 18, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by seat38a View Post
PLEASE do not follow United. As someone who pays to fly upfront on United, this new boarding process is a complete slap in the face of premium cabin passengers. First/Business class passengers are in group 1 with all the platinums, golds and * golds. I think this is going to be interesting.
Cost savings???? If they delay their premium cabin boarding there's less time to give PDBs and thus they save more money on drinks..../s
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 20, 18, 8:16 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by WWads View Post
How much money has DL spent on different boarding signs and pillars over the years?
More money than everyone who has commented on this thread has spent on flights combined, multiples times over.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Sep 20, 18 at 8:23 am
Old Sep 20, 18, 9:33 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar View Post
More money than everyone who has commented on this thread has spent on flights combined, multiples times over.
And yet, still a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of a $42B company.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: